Rust Opinions - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I would have the import papers reviewed by someone who knows what they are doing. We've seen evidence that even though a truck gets imported doesn't mean it gets to stay ... especially if the paperwork isn't accurate.

Whatever the price of the truck ... you'd be out of pocket if it was taken at any point in the future.

The 'D' plate indicates a vehicle first registered in the UK 1 August 1986 31 July 1987 ... now that doesn't mean it wasn't built in 1985 and stood around ... but that would be unlikely.

Do you have the VIN number from the truck and the papers?

Use Calvin to give you an idea what you are dealing with.

http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html
This is what came up. What am I dealing with?

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
V Wheel base: 92.9 inch, but designated 90
A Body type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
B Engine type: 2.5 litre diesel turbo (model 19J)
7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
A Model year: 1983, 1984
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
277036 Serial number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysWaffle View Post
That actually made me laugh out loud! HAHA!

Another theory.. His wife is in the military, any way she has connections allowing them to bring trucks in?
Glad you see I'm trying to make light of this (not at your expense).

If the military loophole existed, there are hundreds of military guys on this board who would have jumped all over that. No, sorry, there's no military card to play.
You can't marry a foreign national and bring her home as your bride so-to-speak.

In any event, it doesn't matter HOW or WHY the truck is here if it didn't pass through the proper channels it's not legit. Doesn't matter if it was driven over the border, dis-assembled and mailed here via 10,000 priority mail envelopes and re-assembled, air-dropped, teleported, found a worm hole in the time-space continuum, it needs to be blessed by US Customs to be legal and that produces paperwork which should be available.

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2014 04:33 PM ------

Quote:

7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
277036 Serial number

This doesn't matter either.
The truck has been modified from this configuration (200TDi and flat panel roof), so it may have started as a potential legit import but that's not where it sits now.

Just focus on obtaining the import paperwork from the seller, if all there is is an MOT, then this conversation really should be over.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It does not matter one bit if it has legal import paperwork. It is not legal for import with that engine. Customs reserves the right to revoke that paperwork at any time they please if they believe an error occurred. You lose the vehicle and have zero recourse.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 04:36 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Glad you see I'm trying to make light of this (not at your expense).

If the military loophole existed, there are hundreds of military guys on this board who would have jumped all over that. No, sorry, there's no military card to play.
You can't marry a foreign national and bring her home as your bride so-to-speak.

In any event, it doesn't matter HOW or WHY the truck is here if it didn't pass through the proper channels it's not legit. Doesn't matter if it was driven over the border, dis-assembled and mailed here via 10,000 priority mail envelopes and re-assembled, air-dropped, teleported, found a worm hole in the time-space continuum, it needs to be blessed by US Customs to be legal and that produces paperwork which should be available.

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2014 04:33 PM ------

This doesn't matter either.
The truck has been modified from this configuration (200TDi and flat panel roof), so it may have started as a potential legit import but that's not where it sits now.

Just focus on obtaining the import paperwork from the seller, if all there is is an MOT, then this conversation really should be over.
The thought of an 8 year old drawing up a title gave me the giggles. Okay, waiting on a response from seller! Anyone know exactly what I need to confirm it's gone through the right channels?
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It does not matter one bit if it has legal import paperwork. It is not legal for import with that engine. Customs reserves the right to revoke that paperwork at any time they please if they believe an error occurred. You lose the vehicle and have zero recourse.
Yes, I guess you're right.
I just was assuming that one could defensibly say that the 200TDi was installed here.
I know its not technically legal to have one, but I was more or less focusing on the entry.
I highly doubt that CBP missed the flat roof and 200TDi, so I'm looking at the bigger problem (how it came here).
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

277036 Serial number
Doesn't match the truck you are thinking of buying .... the engines don't match. If that truck is a genuine 200tdi then its not the vehicle referenced by the VIN.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:19 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
The thought of an 8 year old drawing up a title gave me the giggles. Okay, waiting on a response from seller! Anyone know exactly what I need to confirm it's gone through the right channels?

CBP Form 7501 should be provided and will be evidence that the vehicle entered legally. Make sure you have a VIN on the truck that matches what is shown on the Form 7501. Also, you need to make sure that the vehicle was manufactured > 25 years prior to the entry date shown on your Form 7501. That information can be obtained online for a small fee.

If you have that then you should be just as legal as anyone else who has a grey market Defender with a swapped engine, and possibly more legal than someone who has a NAS Defender with a swapped engine.

Uncle Douglas may be able to shed more light on this, but if I had that paperwork in hand I would have no qualms buying it.
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
CBP Form 7501 should be provided and will be evidence that the vehicle entered legally. Make sure you have a VIN on the truck that matches what is shown on the Form 7501. Also, you need to make sure that the vehicle was manufactured > 25 years prior to the entry date shown on your Form 7501. That information can be obtained online for a small fee.

If you have that then you should be just as legal as anyone else who has a grey market Defender with a swapped engine, and possibly more legal than someone who has a NAS Defender with a swapped engine.

Uncle Douglas may be able to shed more light on this, but if I had that paperwork in hand I would have no qualms buying it.
Thank you, their might be a light at the end of the tunnel!
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Yes, I guess you're right. I just was assuming that one could defensibly say that the 200TDi was installed here. I know its not technically legal to have one, but I was more or less focusing on the entry. I highly doubt that CBP missed the flat roof and 200TDi, so I'm looking at the bigger problem (how it came here).
As I said earlier if the owner can provide evidence of the engine install happening after import then it would be fine. I would not touch it without that documentation.

Old December 16th, 2014, 05:53 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The light at the end of the tunnel is potentially a train coming towards you ...

Check that the truck is actually the truck represented on the paperwork. VIN swapping on a defender is commonplace and trivial to do.

The paperwork might say one thing but if it can be shown to be untruthful then the truck could be seized.

You don't sound like you have unlimited funds for this project and given people have had vehicles seized I would be cautious.

Just because it came in recently doesn't mean anything. It may not even be true. We've seen plenty of people trying to offload questionable trucks when some were seized.

Have you checked the VIN against the list the Feds were hunting?

Buying a defender is exciting and the fulfillment of many dreams. Don't let your emotions cloud your vision or base your decisions on other people saying 'I'd buy that truck' because they aren't and you would be. If you lose it then you've lost money and they have no skin in the game.
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:57 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
As I said earlier if the owner can provide evidence of the engine install happening after import then it would be fine. I would not touch it without that documentation.
So far anyway CBP has not seized vehicles otherwise legally imported on the basis that the engines were not OEM. When they start sending CBP agents out to perform random engine originality inspections on vehicles imported under the 21 year EPA / 25 year NHTSA exemptions, then it's time to start worrying.

I suppose that could happen, so I guess it's a matter of risk tolerance.
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
The light at the end of the tunnel is potentially a train coming towards you ...

Check that the truck is actually the truck represented on the paperwork. VIN swapping on a defender is commonplace and trivial to do.

The paperwork might say one thing but if it can be shown to be untruthful then the truck could be seized.

You don't sound like you have unlimited funds for this project and given people have had vehicles seized I would be cautious.

Just because it came in recently doesn't mean anything. It may not even be true. We've seen plenty of people trying to offload questionable trucks when some were seized.

Buying a defender is exciting and the fulfillment of many dreams. Don't let your emotions cloud your vision or base your decisions on other people saying 'I'd buy that truck' because they aren't and you would be. If you lose it then you've lost money and they have no skin in the game.
The bold had me dieing! Lol!

Where is this 'list' located? Amazing how a rust thread turned into this! Thank god it did.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:

Good advice here. I should have thought of this earlier.
Actually, all of the advice given so far has been very good.
If it sounds like some of us are jumping to conclusions its because we don't have the full picture. You're doing your best to fill us in, but until you see that paperwork and check it extensively (along side the VIN etched in the frame and VIN plaque), we are all guessing.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:09 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
This has gotten way off topic but the subject is an important one. Certainly you do not, under any circumstances, want to buy a VIN swapped truck. Until recently there has been a lot of temptation for importers to do that, which places Defender purchasers at a higher risk for fraud.

So yeah, you do need to get the story on how that engine found it's way in there. If it's because the truck is really a 1991 model year that had it's VIN swapped in order to import it, then I would steer clear. My risk tolerance has limits.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The bold had me dieing! Lol! Where is this 'list' located? Amazing how a rust thread turned into this! Thank god it did.
It's in the thread the Feds took my truck I believe.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:10 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

The owner says any customs paperwork was handed to the DMV for titling. I'm also told the 200tdi is exempt now since it's 25 years old so it's easily imported in anything.

I'll have to do find that list. Thanks for everyone's help, I never thought rust could be so productive! LOL
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:23 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
The owner says any customs paperwork was handed to the DMV for titling. I'm also told the 200tdi is exempt now since it's 25 years old so it's easily imported in anything.

I'll have to do find that list. Thanks for everyone's help, I never thought rust could be so productive! LOL
Yes I'm sure he did hand the Form 7501 to the DMV, but he should've kept a copy to assure the purchaser that the importation was done legitimately.

I don't think that statement about 200tdi Defenders being imported easily is accurate. The engines themselves? Yes. The complete Defender equipped with 200tdi engine? No. Not yet anyway.
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The truck must have the original type engine as shown by the VIN in order to allow for import. In this case a turbo diesel. Any other engine makes it ineligible for import.

Old December 16th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:

Dan,
This guy is either ignorant, a liar or an ignorant liar. Either way that truck is illegal and he is breaking the law. You are being told here by some very knowledgeable guys to RUN from this truck.....so RUN!!!

Your next step should be to contact Uncle Douglas and then go about finding a legitimate truck that is completely legal for import. I had zero tolerance for losing my truck money so that is why I went the ExMoD route through Solarguy. I got a sweet 110 Tithonus truck in almost new condition and slept well during the entire process.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The owner says any customs paperwork was handed to the DMV for titling. I'm also told the 200tdi is exempt now since it's 25 years old so it's easily imported in anything. I'll have to do find that list. Thanks for everyone's help, I never thought rust could be so productive! LOL
Even if it's not on the list this truck is a nightmare waiting to happen. The seller likely knows it's not what it should be and is trying to shift it before he loses his shirt. If it's VIN swap then it's highly likely stolen in the UK and given an older identity to try and import it to the U.S.

Given the number of questions raised here, and because we know that the Feds and others ( Hi guys! ) read this forum ... I would say it's too tarnished to touch.

Don't be that guy who loses his shirt because he was attracted to the lipstick on a pig truck.

I mean seriously that diamond plate is disgusting! ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions