Rust Opinions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:22 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
flat roof, 200TDi, freestyle wheels.....AND it was just imported 2 months ago?
I'd investigate this a bit more thoroughly.
I've learned that ANYTHING is possible in this world, but unless he drove it across the border from Canada I don't see how this made it past CBP.

I don't mean for this to turn into an import issue thread, but read this:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=customs+took

Just because you have a title doesn't mean you're in the clear. Make sure it was imported properly.

"D" reg tag suggests it was DLVA registered as a '85, but that really means nothing when it's been modified from its original configuration.
I read through bits of that thread before. How can I make sure it was imported properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Probably a Doug question, but there is Customs forms necessary upon entry that most state DMVs need to see in order to process a new title and register.

If the owner imported it properly, he/she will know what you need and provide it. If it's an illegal immigrant then walk.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem is customs can come and take whenever and wherever they please and you have zero recourse. Guilty until proven innocent.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:32 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
looks like you also need to do a repair to fix the rotted away gussets at the mid x member. I had to on the DS. Again time consuming but can be done.

Also, stick your hand inside the opening at the underside of the bulkhead outriggers and feel the chassis (side and top) for the rot hiding behind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6548.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	108777  
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Probably a Doug question, but there is Customs forms necessary upon entry that most state DMVs need to see in order to process a new title and register.

If the owner imported it properly, he/she will know what you need and provide it. If it's an illegal immigrant then walk.
So if he gets the title from PA it doesn't mean anything?
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
where is this truck advertised?
Not looking to poach this at all, but if it's not on eBay or being prominently advertised, there may be a reason for that.

I try not to jump to conclusions (or I try to try), so just insist on having the import paperwork. There are others on here that could help you with exactly what the docs are called, but you're going to want to see the NHTSA and EPA waiver forms as well as CBP approval.
This looks like a UK truck, so there should be some DLVA/V5 documents as well.

If the seller imported it legally, something tells me they would have made a bigger presentation of these materials and documents from the beginning (I would have).

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2014 03:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysWaffle View Post
So if he gets the title from PA it doesn't mean anything?
you can ask several board members who've had their trucks seized if it made a difference in their cases.
Not trying to be a wise-ass. Short answer is NO, it doesn't not guaranty the vehicle was legally imported. You could drive it for years with a PA title and in fact the title could move from state to state and if the truck is on some list of trucks that came over illegally, they (DHS) will find it.

If that were true, I'd have bought a shady Puma 110 years ago that was titled in the states.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
There are others on here that could help you with exactly what the docs are called, but you're going to want to see the NHTSA and EPA waiver forms as well as CBP approval.
It does not really matter. It is not a legal import and customs has the authority to seize the vehicle after the fact. And this is a public forum, visible to everyone in the world and being read by customs people.

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
where is this truck advertised?
Not looking to poach this at all, but if it's not on eBay or being prominently advertised, there may be a reason for that.

I try not to jump to conclusions (or I try to try), so just insist on having the import paperwork. There are others on here that could help you with exactly what the docs are called, but you're going to want to see the NHTSA and EPA waiver forms as well as CBP approval.
This looks like a UK truck, so there should be some DLVA/V5 documents as well.

If the seller imported it legally, something tells me they would have made a bigger presentation of these materials and documents from the beginning (I would have).

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2014 03:40 PM ------

you can ask several board members who've had their trucks seized if it made a difference in their cases.
Not trying to be a wise-ass. Short answer is NO, it doesn't not guaranty the vehicle was legally imported. You could drive it for years with a PA title and in fact the title could move from state to state and if the truck is on some list of trucks that came over illegally, they (DHS) will find it.

If that were true, I'd have bought a shady Puma 110 years ago that was titled in the states.
It was on eBay. Made a verbal deal with him and asked him to remove the listing so he did. All he gave me was the MOT inspection from the UK. MOT was good until Feb 2013.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It does not really matter. It is not a legal import and customs has the authority to seize the vehicle after the fact. And this is a public forum, visible to everyone in the world and being read by customs people.

Correct.
It would Only matter IF the truck was imported properly and THEN had a new roof and other non-compliant items installed here in the states. I think based on the assertion that the truck was imported two months ago, we can safely assume that this is NOT the case.

....and as far as shutting down the conversation because of prying eyes. If the Seller is a Board member and chimes in asking us to quiet down, I have no problem doing so, but given what everyone has gone through, I cant believe people still pull this type of shit. It really does spoil it for the rest of us, so with that said I don't feel like I need to hold back on my opinions regarding the truck's condition or origins.

Maybe it's a giant misunderstand and he meant that he imported it 2 years ago, not two months ago. Maybe they have the proper paperwork. I'm only going by what's been presented here in this thread and I'm trying to provide some genuine help.
I'd hate to see somebody lose their hard-earned money.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
10 seconds on Google.

http://www.carsonlinefree.com/search...hicleID=453182

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
I did see that earlier today and asked him. Says it must be a scammer. Not sure what to believe at this point!
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:03 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysWaffle View Post
All he gave me was the MOT inspection from the UK. MOT was good until Feb 2013.
There are times that MOT's are not worth the paper they are printed on, though the vast majority are good honest tech's since it is their signature on the form. That MOT ran out at the same time it left for Spain and then America (coincidence)?

A quick check shows that according to DVLA the last MOT expired in Sept 2010. Assuming that is the real number plate for that vehicle.
I am currently doing some stupid trivial crap to get a car through the MOT, failing on such nonsense as a tiny rip on a dust cover boot for a tie rod end.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Unless he installed that engine AFTER import and has evidence to prove it, just walk away. It is not worth your sanity to be worried about an armed team of customs agents knocking on your door one day.

Old December 16th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
^^^^ what John Said.

at $9,000, you can be assured that its a scam.
You said you physically inspected the truck, so can we assume you met the seller in person?
If so, you must have a decent line of communication established.
Why don't you simply ask them what they have for paperwork and if it can be scanned/emailed or faxed over?
Put this matter to rest.
If there's no paperwork connected with the recent import, then I'd run away like a scalded monkey.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem is, regardless of what is said, customs already has a copy of the eBay ad. They already have a copy of this thread. It is not legal to import a truck with a TDI in it, period.

Old December 16th, 2014, 04:09 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
There are times that MOT's are not worth the paper they are printed on, though the vast majority are good honest tech's since it is their signature on the form. That MOT ran out at the same time it left for Spain and then America (coincidence)?

I am currently doing some stupid trivial crap to get a car through the MOT, failing on such nonsense as a tiny rip on a dust cover boot for a tie rod end.
You are correct. Says he brought it to Spain around this time last year.

Quote:
Unless he installed that engine AFTER import and has evidence to prove it, just walk away. It is not worth your sanity to be worried about an armed team of customs agents knocking on your door one day.
Quote:
^^^^ what John Said.

at $9,000, you can be assured that its a scam.
You said you physically inspected the truck, so can we assume you met the seller in person?
If so, you must have a decent line of communication established.
Why don't you simply ask them what they have for paperwork and if it can be scanned/emailed or faxed over?
Put this matter to rest.
If there's no paperwork connected with the recent import, then I'd run away like a scalded monkey.
That ad is a scam, not his. I had a deal with him at 16.5. I have asked for paperwork in the last hour but when I was at his house he only had the MOT to give me.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
He only has MOT? great!
you may as well have an 8 year old draw you a title with a crayon while you're at it.
MOT, tax disks, even a V5 are all useless over here in the states.

This isn't my thread, but I'd like to pivot the conversation (in a new thread) to "how the f**k do these trucks still get into the states given what's been happening?"

I know there are a few Yoda-like guys one here that probably know but won't say
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:17 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Quote:
He only has MOT? great!
you may as well have an 8 year old draw you a title with a crayon while you're at it.
MOT, tax disks, even a V5 are all useless over here in the states.

This isn't my thread, but I'd like to pivot the conversation (in a new thread) to "how the f**k do these trucks still get into the states given what's been happening?"

I know there are a few Yoda-like guys one here that probably know but won't say
That actually made me laugh out loud! HAHA!

Another theory.. His wife is in the military, any way she has connections allowing them to bring trucks in?
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I would have the import papers reviewed by someone who knows what they are doing. We've seen evidence that even though a truck gets imported doesn't mean it gets to stay ... especially if the paperwork isn't accurate.

Whatever the price of the truck ... you'd be out of pocket if it was taken at any point in the future.

The 'D' plate indicates a vehicle first registered in the UK 1 August 1986 31 July 1987 ... now that doesn't mean it wasn't built in 1985 and stood around ... but that would be unlikely.

Do you have the VIN number from the truck and the papers?

Use Calvin to give you an idea what you are dealing with.

http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It could be brought in on a temporary permit. But you can't title or sell it and it must leave when the permit expires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions