Rust Management - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

I guess the chemistry behind all these products is pretty much the same but I bought some stuff called Naval Jelly at Lowes that came highly recommended for rust. (That's NAVAL not NAVEL) Seems to have worked pretty well and it requires a topcoat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have seen that stuff, how long have you had it on? What prep work did you do?
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:04 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

About a month on the rear axle only and it looks great with flat black Rustoleum. However, my 90 is not a daily driver, garage kept and no salty roads in winter. I expect it to last for at least several years with my driving habits. Up north it would be another story. Frankly, I think they're all the same. Sounds like basic high school chemistry to me. "OK class, how do we turn iron oxide into some other chemical? Anyone? Anyone?" I can't stop rust but I can probably slow it down a bit. As an alternative topcoat was thinking of using Hammerite but would like more info on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2003, 11:59 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Y'all are funny on the weather. And yes, I will be dressed in shorts while removing rust this Sunday. Picture will be posted on Monday.
Navel jelly I have used in the past but thought it a rust remover. I understand Ospho initiates a chemical reaction to retard rust progression. Bottom line - anything is better than nothing.
From the photo below, I do not think my rust is bad, but I do not want it getting worse. I am looking to get some Ospho but after 6 auto and marine shops (everyone raves about the stuff) I can not find it. Local rep is not due for weeks and it can not be shipped UPS in CA (hazardous material). Oh costs here are $16 a quart, $40 gallon. Final piece of important information was all 6 shops discribed the same process for optimal results. Remove as much rust as you can by hand (sandpaper etc), apply Ospho, apply a primer coat (reg type), apply paint coat.

I'll take photos before during after just to see how it goes.

So day one - no work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr underside 1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	163  
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:10 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Rust Management II (prevention)

Following on the thread about actual rust on the underside, I got a good look at my rear wheel wells and the underside protection, or lack of it. From the photo below, it looks like a lot of paint is visible. The black stuff that has flaking off is hard to remove by hand. I was going to get as much as possible off then apply an arosol rubber coat.
The questions:
Should I be concerned? Should this area and others like it be coated with something? If so, what are the recommendations? Will a new coating adhere to existing "flakes I can not remove?
I have seen the discussions and ads for Waxoyl but do not think I can get base that clean.
Any input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr wheel well 1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	164  
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:13 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Paul, have you looked closely at your gas tank carrier? You may have read the thread in which several of us have found huge holes lurking just under the paint. Push too hard on the surface and your finger will go straight through. If your truck spent much of it's life in the northern climes (and it looks that way from the amount of rust you have), the tank carrier may have suffered. I thought that I'd just repaint mine, but realized it made more sense to replace it instead.

Dave Lucas posted in the For Sale-Parts folder that he's arranged to have some slick SS tank carriers fabricated. Another alternative would be to take yours to a welding shop and have them replicate it out of 3/16" plate. Of course, you'll liberally apply Ospho/primer/POR-15 before reinstall... haha.

Oh, and btw, it's raining and about 35 degrees here in DC. Enjoy your damn sun!! haha
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Roy, I spend about an hour on the underside. I had a wire brush, chop sticks (hey long and slender to get way in there) and a screw driver. I read Dave's info on the gas tank carrier and spend a bunch of time there. I did not find anything. Of course the big hunt is this Sunday. If it looks bad, out it goes and I'll see about the SS option.
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
rust proofing

I would really like to have my D-90 undercoated and sprayed to protect it from future rust. I was thinking of going to a body shop to have this done. Do you guys have a list of places that should be done?
Thanks
Rich
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

There is an article in Rovers North News winter issue on Waxoyl that you might want to check out. You can download the PDF file from their website ( www.roversnorth.com ). I'm thinking about getting this done in the spring.

Eric
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

take a look at
www.before-n-after.co.uk
for the low down on waxoyl
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Sounds like it's the best thing since sliced bread. How common is it in the UK? And the $64K question, does it really work?

Eric
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have had great luck with Waxoyl. Just keep in mind that you will need to maintain it... It will take a beating off roading and need to be reapplied.

EwS
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:43 PM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

waxoyl is sold in just about every accesory shop in the UK, but just how much of the stuff thats sold gets applied properly is anyones guess. If you can apply it to where it's needed I reckon it's well up to the job.
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My chassis is well painted (exterior) and I would not mind setting off a "waxoyl bomb" in the interior---how do I do this?
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:01 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I had both trucks waxoyl in MA by Robison in Springfield.I'm very pleased with the results and highly recommend waxoyl.Check out robison service web site for further info on the subject.
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Okay, I have to ask a stupid question. I am waiting on RN to send my shipment of Waxoyl out next week, so I have yet to actually see the stuff in person. Is anyone familiar with the product "Boeshield T-9?" I have used it for years on my boat to control/dissuade rust from forming, and so far, even in harsh Atlantic seaboard climate, it has stood the test of time. How different is Waxoyl from the Boeshield? Thanks!

Jeff
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Boesheild was originally designed as a lubricant by boeing. I ran into it about 7 years ago when they started marketing it as a chain lube.

The main diff would be the thickness. Waxoyl is much thicker. Also, the sole purpose of Waxoyl is to inhibit corrosion, whereas the Boesheild it is more of a side effect. I would stick to boesheild for corrosion and use the Boesheild on smaller less exposed parts, and as a lubricant.

EwS
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Bringing this thread back from the dead.
I am planning on making my own waxoil. Anyone has any experience on what mistake not to do?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:44 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I did this and I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's kind of a pain and extremely messy.

Pros:

- On the exterior, I believe that the stuff I made actually did a good job. It surprised me. Last winter was very salty and nasty and from what I can tell, very little rust appeared on the external bits of my mostly rust-free truck.

- It's great if you are fluent in cheapfuckese.

Cons:

- It's a terrible mess to make and your hands and arms will smell for days.

- I didn't have any way to atomize it, so there was no way to effectively get it to coat the inside the frame. Frames rust from the inside out, so if you're not getting it inside the frame, it's not doing much good. A paint sprayer would probably not work because it's wax-based and cools+hardens quickly. Perhaps someone could work around this but it would still be a PITA.

- It's probably not very good for the environment to mix this crap up.

If I had to do it again--and I wouldn't--I'd mix it up in a pot on a hot plate and paint it on the frame and other parts with a paintbrush. Putting it in a garden sprayer was a dumb idea. I have no idea how to get it to spray on the inside of the frame.

Really, it's a dumb idea. Shell out the few hundred bucks for Waxoyl and do it right the first time.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Whats the waxoyl formula?

~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions