Rust Level - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Deck
Brad
None

Rust Level

I'm quickly getting sucked into the Rover world and beginning my search for a 110. I've owned older and vintage cars my whole life, and it seems like the issue of what's considered 'rust' varies depending on the type of vehicle. Obviously, this is a very subjective question, but what are your thoughts on the amount of rust on this chassis?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Check the cross members and brackets, the straight bits like the focal point in the image are the least of your worries.
Not to mention floors/bulkhead and doors...

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
what are your thoughts on the amount of rust on this chassis?

If it is a 1985 Truck the rust is minimal, a 1995 truck the rust is manageable, a 2005 truck the rust is treatable, a 2015 truck the rust is average...

Seriously though, external surface rust is an indication of minimal maintenance, harsh climate, or low use. If the rust is only on the surfaces and the thickness of the frame is not affected then the chassis is treatable and functional. This example may have been aggressively cleaned recently and without surface protection rust will form on the raw steel quickly.

I view the chassis as a consumable item and it will need to be repaired or replaced every ~30-40 years. (Look up Washington's Axe) Because this is the norm in the UK, replacement chassis are not expensive or difficult to supply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions