Rust inhibitor advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Rust inhibitor advice

So now that I have the fuel tank and skid off I want to stop the rust on the frame and rear cross-member of the D-90. I used a wire wheel and took it down to the bare metal now I need to paint it. What should I use? I have heard people have had good results with POR 15 products. Do I need to put an etching compound or some thing similar on first before I rattle can it with some POR 15. What would you do? Thanks again.

Russ

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I got the "Oshpho" from the Ace hardware. about $9 a qt. heard it's at least as good as POR 15 and it's much easier to find.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I did an entire undercarriage of my J**P with POR15. It had surface rust everywhere from 2 years in CT. They have a product called MarineClean that get's rid of grime and surface oil that is fantastic. I then sprayed all surfaces with their Metal Ready product, which is a phosphoric acid that will bit the surface to aid in adhesion. The POR15 stuck like glue to it, and is a very durable surface.

POR-15 Tip of the Day: If you use any phosphoric acid, where full length chem gloves and protection. I disregarded it, and ended up having to take steroids for a week due the dramatic rash response I got (which was actually chemical burn). I spent 2 weeks prior to going to the doctor for it, as I thought I had a bad case of poison ivy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
...POR-15 Tip of the Day: If you use any phosphoric acid, where full length chem gloves and protection. I disregarded it, and ended up having to take steroids for a week due the dramatic rash response I got (which was actually chemical burn). I spent 2 weeks prior to going to the doctor for it, as I thought I had a bad case of poison ivy.
+1!

I did the same thing and my hands burned for a couple days (I didn't dilute it either b/c [I'm dumb] I didn't feel like getting another empty bottle for dilution).
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:49 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Mark, Thanks for the advice on how to treat the rust on my frame. I could not find the Metal Ready so I used some stuff called Navel Jelly which contains phosphoric acid and it did a great job. I just have a primer coat on now and it looks great. Thanks for the tip of using full length chemical gloves. Thanks again.

Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I did an entire undercarriage of my J**P with POR15. It had surface rust everywhere from 2 years in CT. They have a product called MarineClean that get's rid of grime and surface oil that is fantastic. I then sprayed all surfaces with their Metal Ready product, which is a phosphoric acid that will bit the surface to aid in adhesion. The POR15 stuck like glue to it, and is a very durable surface.

POR-15 Tip of the Day: If you use any phosphoric acid, where full length chem gloves and protection. I disregarded it, and ended up having to take steroids for a week due the dramatic rash response I got (which was actually chemical burn). I spent 2 weeks prior to going to the doctor for it, as I thought I had a bad case of poison ivy.

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Your welcome. fun job isn't it? Metal Ready is a POR-15 product, and availabe on their site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions