Rust Doctor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Rust Doctor

Hey,

Has anyone used this product?

Sounds like magic to me. I am just trying to slow down my rusting and put off the expense of my future Galv. Chassis for a while

This process looks too simple and easy to believe...............Has anyone tried it???

http://www.therustdoctor.com/

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Rus Doctor

It works. It's not a cure all but it will slow things down.
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I wonder how the rust doctor compares to this..........
http://www.por15.com/

I like the Rust Doctor's web page better, but I have and old Land Rover fan who has had a 1967 RHD serries forever who told me that POR15 is more used in the Rover Community he believes.

John - yeah - I know I cant cure my problem (without a new chassis), but if I could slow it down that would be great. Buy me a bit of time. I think I would have to take the truck apart, take the skid plates off, etc. to get a 'complete' coating - front and back - like the web page says. I am thinking of just coating what I can see, and hiting the rear cross member...............

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
I wonder how the rust doctor compares to this..........
http://www.por15.com/

I like the Rust Doctor's web page better, but I have and old Land Rover fan who has had a 1967 RHD serries forever who told me that POR15 is more used in the Rover Community he believes.

John - yeah - I know I cant cure my problem (without a new chassis), but if I could slow it down that would be great. Buy me a bit of time. I think I would have to take the truck apart, take the skid plates off, etc. to get a 'complete' coating - front and back - like the web page says. I am thinking of just coating what I can see, and hiting the rear cross member...............

Flagg
we coated our entire FJ40 frame with POR15 about 7 years ago, even though the truck doesn't get used(another story) it has sat out in the weather for 7 years and has no rot at all! pretty good for japanese tin!
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I like POR15 - Surface prep is key and takes some patience. They also have a "seam sealer" in a toothpaste type tube that works great along wall and floor panel joints.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

something called rust bullet is supposed to be great
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hummmm. POR15 looks like it works great - but it seems very time consuming with the prep. Rust doctor and Rust Bullet seem like the process is easier. They seem to work different way, one covers the problem, one converts it to black manganite?

Here is a question - is there any reason not to put one of these products on my truck - if I can not get to all sides of the metal. In other words - what if I panted the rear cross member - but did not remove all the pieces arround it, or remove it from the truck. I could get to what you could see - but not all the way arround it.

It would seem to me that even covering a piece of metal from rusting from one side would not 'cure' the problem - but add a bit of time. Opinions? I just don't want to do something to accelarate the rusting process

Flagg
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

KEN and PAUL and others,

After reading through the RUST MANAGEMENT thread - how did either of you do with your rust proffing, not that it has been a couple years?

Flagg
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I fail to see how POR15 will do much good unless you can figure out how to coat the inside of the frame with it. Rust is going to form in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Moses
J. Moses
55 S1 86" RHD

I've used POR15 on a few chassis and it works great but It is pricey and the prep is hell. That Rust doctor looks tempting but I would need some proof.
If ya can't afford it, make it !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions