Rust - Dealing with it - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Rust - Dealing with it

Hey guys here may be one of the dumbest (or not) thoughts I have had

While I was thinking about having to change the zincs on my boat - I thought, heck why not put zinc's on the chassis of a Defender? I mean rust will attack the less noble of the steels in order of their corrosion qualities. Wouldn't your chassis survive longer if the rust ate zinc's??

I know galvanized is the be all and end all for most - but those that can't do a frame swap, do you think zinc's on the frame in a couple of spots would work?

This was just one of those silly alcohol induced moments of thought...
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:25 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Hey guys here may be one of the dumbest (or not) thoughts I have had While I was thinking about having to change the zincs on my boat - I thought, heck why not put zinc's on the chassis of a Defender? I mean rust will attack the less noble of the steels in order of their corrosion qualities. Wouldn't your chassis survive longer if the rust ate zinc's?? I know galvanized is the be all and end all for most - but those that can't do a frame swap, do you think zinc's on the frame in a couple of spots would work? This was just one of those silly alcohol induced moments of thought...
alcohol at 8am? I think that is a different type of corrosion.
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:32 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Hey guys here may be one of the dumbest (or not) thoughts I have had

While I was thinking about having to change the zincs on my boat - I thought, heck why not put zinc's on the chassis of a Defender? I mean rust will attack the less noble of the steels in order of their corrosion qualities. Wouldn't your chassis survive longer if the rust ate zinc's??

I know galvanized is the be all and end all for most - but those that can't do a frame swap, do you think zinc's on the frame in a couple of spots would work?

This was just one of those silly alcohol induced moments of thought...
In theory I don't see why not. But the inherent difference between the outdrive of a boat and the frame of a vehicle is how its exposed to what is rusting it. The outdrive is all in 1 place and equally exposed to the saltwater causing corrosion. I think you'd basically have to put a zinc every few inches on the frame to have the same effect (inside and outside).

Also, CHEERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
alcohol at 8am? I think that is a different type of corrosion.
HAHA - no, it was a thought last night - and I was still thinking about this am, with my cup of joe
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Actually this is what is commonly known as "galvanizing". The only way to protect the metal to be saved is by completely encapsulating it in sacrificial metal. Since it isn't always in complete contact with the electrolyte (water) it only rusts where it is, like in mud covered corners or inside chassis rails where it never dries out.

JC Whitney used to (maybe still does) sell some automotive quackery that claimed to stop rust through "magnetism". You'd place these magnets on the chassis and wire them to the negative side of the battery. If you think about how useless that is, you'd laugh.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
HAHA - no, it was a thought last night - and I was still thinking about this am, with my cup of joe
I used to work with you, does that "joe" have anything else in it?
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure how adding an external zinc to a chassis not submerged in a conductor would be of any benefit.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Not sure how adding an external zinc to a chassis not submerged in a conductor would be of any benefit.
I know Doug - but in theory rust will attack the less noble steel first. That is why on some trucks the aluminium (alu-min-eeum) goes when the underlying steel shows only signs of surface rust....

Anyway - just a musing
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I know Doug - but in theory rust will attack the less noble steel first. That is why on some trucks the aluminium (alu-min-eeum) goes when the underlying steel shows only signs of surface rust.... Anyway - just a musing
Rust is not an organism which attacks a host. It's a reaction between oxygen and an object, often encouraged by an additional oxidizer or catalyst. It's not "picking" a more attractive metal in the general vicinity...

Old April 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM
rover head
keith roberts
1973 series 3

You could just blast everything with fluid film every couple of years. This stuff in great !
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
well...one metal does corrode preferentially.
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:03 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I remember years ago there was an article in one of the rover mags that talked about a company that sold a kit for trucks that were operated in mining operations. Same principle as with attaching anodes on boats/ships and certain structures in and out of the ocean. Also believe there is a thread on here from years ago about the same idea you came up with.
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:23 PM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
Interesting topic Jonesy. My PO (a naval engineer/architect) put anodes on the rear of my non-galvy designa chassis. Pure hypothesis on his part but I never saw a reason to remove them. They have been on for several years now and I still see no corrosive build up on them or my frame. So maybe it is a failed test of a seemingly good idea or if it had worked a brilliant idea. Jury still out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-117798503.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	119428   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2708957821.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	119429  

Old April 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I have been putting this on all my steel parts after stripping and cleaning. Zinga | Zinga UK

So far so good.
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Jonesy, is it you on the back of this truck??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossing 231.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	119468  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions