Rust and Corrosion On Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Rust and Corrosion On Defenders

My LR3 lease is up, and I'm considering the move to a D90 as my fun vehicle. Unfortunately it will be too tall to fit into my garage. I live in Northern California.

I've seen some D90s for sale with very little or no rust, which is great. But . . .

My question is, will the poor gal rust from sitting in my driveway? It would have to endure our relatively mild winters outside year round. I wouldn't want to buy such a cool vehicle only to ruin it because they require indoor storage.

Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

LR3 fits in garage then a defender would
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
LR3 fits in garage then a defender would
Well, therein lies the rub, because the LR3 doesn't fit either . . . well, at least without dropping the suspension to its lowest setting. I think a D90 with rack is a good foot higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaOrBust
Well, therein lies the rub, because the LR3 doesn't fit either . . . well, at least without dropping the suspension to its lowest setting. I think a D90 with rack is a good foot higher.
Easy solution dont get one with a rack. Mine fits in the garage which is an average size garage, not that its ever in there.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Another option is to adjust the door settings, so the garage door goes up further. The controls are on your garage door opener itself.

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Thanks for the ideas on getting it into the garage. But, let's assume it stays outside in Northern California year round. Should I be expecting a fair amount of rust?
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaOrBust
Thanks for the ideas on getting it into the garage. But, let's assume it stays outside in Northern California year round. Should I be expecting a fair amount of rust?
Rust takes a while to set in, if your that worried put a waxoil coating on the underside and wash it every week or so, that should protect it pretty well.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
Rust takes a while to set in, if your that worried put a waxoil coating on the underside and wash it every week or so, that should protect it pretty well.
Get a good car cover will protect the paint too...

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

If you don't live within an stones throw of the ocean then you should be fine. Of course you want to keep the mud etc off the chassis and the other places where it likes to hide. and if you go to the beach then wash it really well to remove salt. A rust protectant like waxoyl is always a good idea. I would imagine the sun will be a greater enemy than rust. a car cover is a good idea. I have had three Defenders here in the South and have had no rust issues. It is the salt on the roads that really kills the Def. or salt air. buy it and don't worry.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I have kept a D-90 a mile from the ocean for 7 years with little to no rust. Here was my program --

1) took the interior door panels off -- sprayed rubberized undercoating insides, especially the lower 6 inches or so.
2) After every wash, since new in 1996- sprayed exterior hinge pins, bolts, etc. with Boeshield -- an anti corrosion, lubricant developed by Boeing, usually available from boating supply stores and Sears (in the tool section)
3) Everytime washed -- give the chassis, suspension, etc. a good wash. When washing at a commercial manual car wash -- select the "wax" option and spray the underside thoroughly.

After 7 years, I just spent about four months rehabing, complete with Waxoyl- the look of Waxoyl is great.

Finally -- pay attention to the bulkhead, especially the engine bay side of the foot wheels -- always wash throughly and get the grime/mud out of there -- bulkhead is steel and will rust.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
I have kept a D-90 a mile from the ocean for 7 years with little to no rust. Here was my program --.
A mile from the ocean? In Arizona?
Has California really fallen into the ocean like the 1980s nutball books predicted?
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Not exactly. The D-90 SW was my daily driver from 1996 (when new) to 2001 (first VA and then AZ). It was "retired" in 2001 to Nantucket, MA as the "beach car." Drove it back to AZ for the rehab last August and just took it back to the East Coast. So far I have made three cross country (almost) drives in it (one trip it was shipped) . What made it more enjoyable three weeks ago were the seat rail extenders bought from MUD UK, the extra leg room was appreciated.

Had it since it had 6 miles on the clock. Now about 92K.
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Monkeyboy

Pffttt. You guys out west have no idea about the dreaded tin worm!

Keep it clean, covered and parked on a hard surface - not gravel! - and you've got a good shot at a nice long life.

Oh, and get the tape measure out and measure that garage trim opening. If it's 7'-0" the Defender will fit. You might indeed need to adjust the door opener, but a stock D90 will indeed fit with an inch or two to spare!

...this from the yahoo that glued the Disco door skins back on to the frame yesterday!
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

Hey Richard alot of good information from this thread. Question is how much maintenance do you do you do to your current LR?

In my opinion you will have no problems with rust on a D90 as long as you do preventative maintenance, spraying susceptible parts, ensuring all your engine electrical components keep dry, solid battery for cold cranking, and swapping out to stainless steel parts for those parts in need, etc.

My D90 is in NorCal (always garaged) and I have no problems aside from the normal tempermental stuff with moisture on the contacts (when I wash the car or outisde in heavy dew). You can also do quick search on Forum for people who had starting problems on D90..they do seem alittle more work with problem resolution but its comes back to how much hands on you are with your D90...or if you have backup transpo. : )

Incidently my buddy has a LandCruiser 3 blocks from the beach and it is going in all the "treated" anti corrosion areas. He is currently pulling off the parts to strip, sand, and respray dealio.

Hope that helps!

94 Defender 90 ST #16
68 Mustang J Code "California Special"
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Thanks everyone for your help - lots of great insight here. I've copied the rust proofing tips to a file just in case the pending forum revamp manages to lose them.
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:18 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

what's a "LandCruiser 3" FJ62? FJ80 FJ100 (FJ52?)
there are a bunch depending on what you consider #1,2 etc.

what year?

i've owned just about all of them is why i'm asking
the FJ80 was my fav (had a 92')

All LR now for the time being but also had an MB G500 and 320 - just did not like the FJ200 as much as the previous Gen's

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356
what's a "LandCruiser 3"
Its a LandCruiser, 3 blocks from the ocean.

94 Defender 90 ST #16
68 Mustang J Code "California Special"
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:59 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

duh... missed that one

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyxhour
Its a LandCruiser, 3 blocks from the ocean.
Since this thread is already off topic; Robert, got a pic of your California Special Mustang?? What engine? Always liked those...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions