Rust! again.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Rust! again....

Lame question I know, but you guys really seem to know your stuff about rust prevention. Anyway, I got a new tow rig this week and had to change some wireing on the trailer. I climbed under the trailer for the first time in a long time and was amazed at the amount of rust. More than just surface, but not much more. Lets say rough surface. But the entire bottom looked like that. I think that maybe the company I bought the trailer from never painted under there. The trailer is only about 18 months old in SoCal, so there is no reason to have this much rust.

So here is the question: I need something that does not require prep (lazy). I need something that is sprayable (lazy). And I need something that is fairly cheap (cheap bastard). Can you guys recommend something for me? I have heard a lot about Por-15 but never used it. I have also seen this stuff that was zinc or something that chemically bonded to the rust? Thanks for the help. Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Try www.eastwoodco.com
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

As came recommended on this board, I bought some Ospho at Ace Hardware. It's amazing stuff. Just do a light prep scraping/brushing of any rust particles and then just apply Ospho with a paint brush . Starts immediately and turns rust to a black solid. Bad areas might require a second coat, but it stops rust in it's tracks and takes paint well too.

It is a 2 on a scale of 1-10 on difficulty and it isn't expensive either

They do have similar products in an aerosal spray if that works better for you but I have only seen Ospho in a liquid form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i think you can spray ospho(but damn thats just lazy) probably just use a spray bottle
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There was a whole article with recommended products on rust in a recent Four Wheeler magazine--I will see if I still have it at home and if I do I will scan it and e-mail it to you.

I found the article:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...cks/index.html
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

If you want to go to the effort, though I know you said you didnt, I just refinished a chassis for the bentley that had been sitting outside uncovered for YEARS. started with a wire brush on a grinder, then Marine clean, metal ready, por-15 and chassis black. While it was a good amount of work, I was really surprised at how well it turned out. Granted, for the underside of a trailer it's overkill . . .
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

you could try some duraliner which is basically a cheaper form on rhinoline
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Concrete cleaner has phosporic acid like a metal prep in it. They sell it at ACE. That acid will kill rust and turn it black. Then some satin black Vespar paint at Tractor Supply put on with a brush would do it, in my opinion. Its just a trailer. Plus it is common practice not to paint underneath a trailer. Even on the more expensive ones unfortunatly.

Maybe Hillary Duff will drop by and help.
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Concrete cleaner has phosporic acid like a metal prep in it. They sell it at ACE. That acid will kill rust and turn it black. Then some satin black Vespar paint at Tractor Supply put on with a brush would do it, in my opinion. Its just a trailer. Plus it is common practice not to paint underneath a trailer. Even on the more expensive ones unfortunatly.

Maybe Hillary Duff will drop by and help.
JP
Thanks Pandy!

Thanks everybody, any more suggestions are welcome.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

friend of mine who has a farm used to always coat the underside of his trailers with used engine oil, apart from all the muck and dirt pick up, which washed off real easy with a pressure washer the steel was immaculate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions