Rust? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Rust?

Hello all. In the search for my 1st D90 I have noticed rust on almost all vehicles. It seems it's pretty common for a couple of bubbles on the body but my question comes regarding the undercarriage. Is the surface rust on places like the suspension , differential, etc... a big deal or do people just deal with it and have it cleaned up. I also noticed the pan that protects the gas tank or something in the rear can typically get real rusty as well as the rear fender. I have yet to find a car without much of this surface rust. What's the deal?

Take a look at these pics and tell me if you would be overly concerned.

http://www.coolthinking.net/digipics/rover/

TIA - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Mike, If you're getting the truck from the northeast, or if it's had a history of ownership in the northeast, the road salt seems to eat them up. I don't think the rust you're showing is that unique. My truck spent over half it's life in MA and NJ, and for what it's worth, some areas are worse than those pics, and some are better. I have more corrosion under the door hinges, for example, but the interior of that truck, particularly under the floor mats, look better than mine. The fuel tank carrier is notorious for rust and lots of us have had to replace them. I'd also look inside the battery and jack storage boxes for rust. Look for evidence of corrosion under the paint where steel fittings meet the aluminum body.

A lot of people use Waxoyl to keep the rust from getting any worse, or as you say "just deal with it". If you really want a clean truck, you may want to look to the southwest. I know one guy who went all the way to AZ to buy his "clean" truck, and then even went to the trouble to galvanize the frame too. (I think he also irons his socks, but I digress.)

Good luck in your hunt. Good eyes!
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Don't have anywhere near the amount of rust on the frame as the pictures. Here in Chicago they throw salt down at even the hint of snow as well....

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Michael, that only looks like surface rust and its pretty easy to clean up, but I would suggest grabbing a screw driver and pooking all over the place on the rear cross member and around the tires on the frame as these spots are hard to tell by just looking at them. That guy that irons his socks did go a long way to find a 90 for the right price with zero rust, I think he looked for over a year.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Some of that looks about par for the course - these trucks are ten years old. A mechanic's inspection is always a good idea. Overall, the truck bodywork rust looks a lot like mine.

I have to say, though, I had a '93 Wrangler that rusted a lot faster in two years of ownership. All that crap about pull the inside drain plugs and just spray it out. The seat frames were completely rusted, as were many pieces under the dash. Many of the exterior bolt faces rusted, like a D-90's hinges, except in two years not ten.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Thanks for the help guys. It's really hard spending $25k on a car with rust, but that seems to be par for the course and I expect whatever car I end up buying, that I will address all rust issues first for piece of mind.

Michael
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Michael,

$25K should get you a fairly nice Defender. Bear Valley in Atlanta features good examples in this range. Those in fair condition should run a little less. Don't feel hurried and make a bad choice. Another you like will pop up for sale a few weeks later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions