Runs like dog poop - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Too far retarded, and the fuel charge is still burning when the exhaust valves open and that REALLY heats the manifolds up fast since you don't have much of a cooling system for the headers. But when you're really hummin along, I think it gets advanced into the range of 20-30 degrees or more between the mechanical and vacuum advances.

Right now mine is set at about 8 degrees advanced, seems pretty good at the moment. pre-ignition depends on the timing, compression ratio and octane of the gas. With the composite gaskets in a 3.9, and 93 octane, you should be able to run a bit more advanced than normal before and problems, so you need to be careful not to push it too far.

I tell ya, with all the work in the past few weeks... the engine does seem a lot smoother now. Power is about the same, which I expected. I gained some HP back with the new cam and timing chain, but lost a bit with the compression ratio drop. Things keep going this well, and I may just be dropping the MegaSquirt into the truck soon.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2005, 08:04 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Head Gasket Follow up....

I've been searching the previous posts looking for info on Head Gasket replacements...

What do you need to do to be certain you need to replace your head gaskets? Symptoms I have are overheating and white smoke out the exhaust.

Also:

What should be checked when it is opened up?
What should be replaced when it is open?
Anyone have some photos of the job?
Any advice for someone doing it for the first time?
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:04 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Head Gasket Follow up....

I've been searching the previous posts looking for info on Head Gasket replacements...

What do you need to do to be certain you need to replace your head gaskets? Symptoms I have are overheating and white smoke out the exhaust.

Also:

What should be checked when it is opened up?
What should be replaced when it is open?
Anyone have some photos of the job?
Any advice for someone doing it for the first time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

White smoke is usually indicative of burning oil--usually the cause of burning oil is worn rings on your cylinders, which does not necessarily mean you have to do a head gasket--you can change these out without even opening the heads. However, if you have valve issues and/or you need to change the gaskets, what I would recommend is (depending on mileage and compression checks) doing a valve job while you have the heads off, change the rings and hone the bores, which pretty much means (if from convenience alone) that the heads come off. What mileage are you at? Have you done a compression check and if so, what are the values?

90% of the time, the blown white smoke is oil burning that gets past your rings. Personally, I would measure your compression first and foremost. If some of the cyliders are a bit different then the others, then a rebuild is in order. At that time, take a look at the seat pattern of your valves and go from there.

If it is a rebuild, and you can do most yourself, figure on about $400 plus machine costs for warpage and vavle job unless you can do that too.

Best of luck.
C
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

My experience with smoke is a bit different. White smoke is coolant -- steam. Likely a head gasket. Blue smoke is oil. Black is fuel. If blue smoke is there all the time, it's likely from the exhaust valve guides. Coast down a hill. If it's puffing its valve guides. If not, but when you hit the gas at the bottom of the hill it blows a cloud, then its rings (the oil coats the walls of the cylinder but doesn't ignite until there's lots of burning going on). Anyway, that's what I've learned/heard over the years. I had an Alfa V6 that made enough white smoke to hide an army behind, almost instantly, when the head cracked. All steam!

Doug W.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
d90Monkey
James
1995 D90

For what it's worth white smoke has always indicated coolant in my travels too.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Doug really described it well and I agree with everything he said. The "blue" smoke is what I was refering to and he really described the valve versus ring symptoms well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dog