running wires question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

running wires question

Long story but I've got an iPad mini as my car stereo and an audio control remote volume control replacing the cigarette lighter. I'm going to put my audio stuff between the seats and then build a custom aluminum console to cover it and provide some storage.

My question in all of this: how do I run 2 small wires(lightning cable and phone cord) from the clock/cigarette/flashers area under the car and then back up through the removable plate that covers the transmission? I saw a plug behind the rubber but I'd prefer to go out, under and back up. Preferable to tucking wires behind the rubber matting for me even if it increases the level of difficulty. Is this possible? Is there a plug behind the fuse area?

Mit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Start digging and report back. Part of owning a Defender is the garage adventure.
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:35 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

This is my second Defender. I don't need the patronizing lecture. Found what I needed to see no thanks to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
This is my second Defender. I don't need the patronizing lecture. Found what I needed to see no thanks to you.
Perhaps you could post some photos to help future people attempting to do a similar thing in future?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:57 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Well that's not the way to make friends here.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Perhaps you could post some photos to help future people attempting to do a similar thing in future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Well that's not the way to make friends here.
Agreed.
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:08 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
I/we used the Blue Sea cig/USB adapter. Place it under the turfy console between the seats, wired it to a Blue Sea fused relay so that it was always on. One USB I ran a lighting cord under the tuffy, the carpet, up behind the dash & out thru the Ash tray. I'd made an iPhone holder so that the cord comes out & can plug in to the phone so it gets charged all the time. The other USB outlet I just plugged another USB female-female cord accessible out behind the tuffy to power whatever
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:04 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Ouch...

Patronizing; to treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority.

Lecture; an educational talk to an audience, especially to students in a university or college.

I've had three NAS Defenders... Others more, others less...I've learned that Land Rovers are a bit like fine wines or Highland Scotches, that is, the more you know, the less you know...if this is your retort after a rather benign response, I'd suggest you head to the local Dealer or higher-end installation shop and forget about soliciting answers on a long-lived Forum..

Anyway, best of luck and I trust what is really troubling you is resolved soon...

KCD

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:12 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
WTF! Yeah you took that all wrong because if he wanted to really make a point in an patronizing lecture he might have said...Lots of threads on this ...good luck with your search...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YTwRZut.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	96143  
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:06 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Do you have the factory cubby or a tuffy with the stereo between the seats? You can add wires into that loom.

-Jeff
Thanks for the productive reply JSBriggs. Right now I don't have any cubby. I'm putting my stereo stuff in a custom setup between the seats and then building a console to cover it(with fan cooling). Here is the iPad mini mount. Very early version. Still need to run the lightning cable to the area between the seats, build the dash panel piece above, powder coat the bracket, etc. The knob on the left side of the clock panel is my volume knob. What I think I'm going to do is run the phone wire and apple wire from the clock area down to the fuse panel and then through one of the plugs on either side of the fuse area and then back up either with the factory wires or in a new grommet. I'll be re-doing the cover plate anyway.

Pretty sure you won't find someone who has tried this with search.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	96144  
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

The iPad is not a sitting duck either. Fully removable via the soundmanca sliding mount. The iPad is held in by magnets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	96147  
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:13 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

wrong pic

sorry for the double post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	96148  
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Thanks for the productive reply JSBriggs. Right now I don't have any cubby. I'm putting my stereo stuff in a custom setup between the seats and then building a console to cover it(with fan cooling). Here is the iPad mini mount. Very early version. Still need to run the lightning cable to the area between the seats, build the dash panel piece above, powder coat the bracket, etc. The knob on the left side of the clock panel is my volume knob. What I think I'm going to do is run the phone wire and apple wire from the clock area down to the fuse panel and then through one of the plugs on either side of the fuse area and then back up either with the factory wires or in a new grommet. I'll be re-doing the cover plate anyway.

Pretty sure you won't find someone who has tried this with search.
Neat idea and it looks good. Thanks for showing it. BTW Javelina was not being condescending at all He was being supportive. I'm sure you realize that now. Good luck and post on your progress, that way there will be something to be found on this topic with a search.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:50 AM
javelinadave
-
-

This thread is quite laughable. You have what is basically a helpless Defender owner throwing a snit fit over the fact that a few mechanically capable members suggesting he tows his own rope and contributes something to the community as a whole.
I'll ask you straight out Mit, do you expect us to keep handing you fish or do you want your own fishing pole?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:25 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Dave, please show me some pictures of your truck and the full extent of your mechanical capabilities. You find a second hand tuffy box yet?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:59 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Work done by myself:
200tdi installed
New clutch
Swapped rear axle for one with disc brakes
Assorted body work
New left wing installed
Primed and painted
DIY Snorkel
Upgraded headlight harness
Installed a Tuffy Box
Electric fans and aux fuse panel going in this week
Stereo, Ham and CB this fall
I'm sure I'm missing at least a dozen more things.

Guess who paid his way thru college as a helicopter mechanic and I left out the dishonest Tuffy Box miss dealings with you till you brought it up.

Which is it, a few fish each week from us or your own fishing pole?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:33 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

pictures? That tuffy box was an awesome shape. Glad it didn't end up in your hands.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:45 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'm sorry Dave that just doesn't do it for me...please attach photos, and your professional resume would add additional credibility...Thank you.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
pictures? That tuffy box was an awesome shape. Glad it didn't end up in your hands.
Are you in high school Amit? I'm glad everybody here is seeing your childish behavior. Best of luck to you and we all look forward to your thread "Why won't anybody help me fix my truck via the internet anymore".
If you learned how to use the SEARCH function buddy, you could find plenty of pictures of my truck and it's rolling registration.
Welcome to my ignore list Amit!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

[QUOTE Welcome to my ignore list Amit![/QUOTE]

The perfect outcome. Please don't reply to anything I write. It will save us both a lot of time.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions