Running seriously rich - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Running seriously rich

Well, this is probably in relation to my various threads of 2008 regarding my stalling/no start issues last year.

Turns out that it seems to be running ungodly rich, to the point of causing poor idle and eventual stalls. I finally figured this out today by letting the truck sit still at idle until it stalled. Couldn't restart it, smelled seriously strong of fuel. Pulled the fuel pump fuse, and I was able to get it to run about 5 seconds with repeated shorter bursts of running. Put the fuse back in, and it started right up running fine.

So, now what? All the electrical side seemed to test ok in previous diagnostics, but I wasn't looking for something causing a serious rich issue at idle speed. I don't believe that the O2 sensors come into play until you come high off of idle.

Fuel pressure? Injector leak? Any way to even test for these on a '94 without having the injectors rebuilt and tearing apart the regulator?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

sounds like leaky injectors, check to see if the pressure holds. Get it replaced asap as it will kill the cat. convertor. Don't both with rebuilt, new ones are pretty reasonable from various online sources. Plenty of other V8s use the same injector.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

yeah, but how do you check the pressure in a '94? There's no fitting anywhere on this version fuel rail. The factory diagnostic test has you pull them all out and fit them on a test rig.

It seems that new injector prices have gone up a lot too. A couple years ago I was seeing them at $229 a set. Same site now has them at $329 per set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

You can test fuel pressure leak down in line. You can check the injectors by making a test rig out of an old fuel rail or removing the fuel rail on the truck. You can also pull plugs and see which ones are soaked, or blackened.

Use Ford 5.0 fuel injectors. I think ECR has found something that s supposed to be better as Mike has had some issues with the Fords (?) but I have used them with great success.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Set of rebuilt ford injectors, and she's running fantastic again. I went with a set of 19lb injectors out of a crown-vic.

-Hans

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The ones I got were Ford FOTE-D5A injectors. Number 280150943 and they fit like a glove.
No core charge. Almost every mid-90's Ford used them, nice and common.

Got mine from http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.info/catalog/
E-mail their sales rep Julie.

-Hans

Old February 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

looks like they just put them up on their site?

http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.inf...sort=2a&page=2
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, that's the ones. But I believe the e-bay postings from them are usually a couple bucks cheaper.

-Hans

Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Is there a noticeable performance increase with these?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Thanks guys, that's what I needed!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Is there a noticeable performance increase with these?
Considering how bad it was running before, most definitely. I can actually use 5th gear at 50mph again and it starts a lot easier now. Definitely a lot smoother in the low end too. But I still have some lingering issues somewhere I think, I'm still getting a surging idle sometimes which I had hoped this would cure. I'm running out of parts to replace that don't use words like "block" and "valve". I was also due for an oil change, which I did today, so it's back to normal pressure again.

I'm eager to see the mileage specifically, but it takes me a couple weeks sometimes to burn through a full tank..... I'll update when I know for sure. Only about 30 miles since I replaced them, so it's too soon for a full report. I'm sure the cats need to burn a bit more crud out still too. The big thing for me wasn't really to get a performance improvement, though I'm sure it will get a bit more power under full-stomp, I was more concerned to getting it running smoothly again.... which seems to be successful.

-Hans

Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Awesome! I'd love to hear what this does for your fuel economy.
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, good news and bad news. The injectors work great, but didn't solve my problem. I'm still having surging idle issue. Every fix I put into it changes how it runs, but never solves the problems.

So, after new distributor, injectors, O2 sensors, ECU, Mass Air sensor, stepper motor and coil, it no longer has the cold start problem. It also isn't over-heating anymore. But I still have that surging and stalling at idle.

BUT, and here is the good news. It's definitely an electrical gremlin somewhere that I can finally start tracing. I had a real oddball problem. With the ignition switch on, but the engine not running, something was causing the ECU to get a signal. This caused the fuel pump to come on, and the injectors to start firing. At this point, I'm suspecting I've got some bad diodes in the alternator.

Oh, and I also think I figured out what that little can attached to the coil was (that I got rid of when I replaced the distributor, coil and wiring). It's an alternator filter, intended to smooth the output signal. I'm guessing that I fixed one problem, but introduced another one (or uncovered, to be more accurate), when I swapped the distributor in.

-Hans

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.inf...products_id=37

Hans did you find your problem?
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just found it a couple days ago actually, and got it inspected today successfully. Ready for an odd one?

Bad diodes in the alternator were partially blowing out my ignition modules. But the issue was only showing up when hot. New alternator, e-spark module and plug wires..... and it's been fine for about 2 weeks now. The bad modules were causing the no-start and stalling issue. Bad plug wires caused the rough running and overfueling in a couple cylinders. There's also an alternate wiring setup now for Mallory distributors with the E-spark module, which also made a huge difference.

Of course the new Mass Air sensor, O2 sensors, TPS sensor, Injectors, etc.... didn't hurt I'm sure. Will figure out my new milage tomorrow when I refill the tank for the first full tank after the fix.

-Hans

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

As the old commercial says...

...wouldn't you really rather have a diesel?
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Almost identical to the issues I was having with my 94 nas. Turned out to be a bad regulator in the alternator that was frying ignition modules. Tach was fine, output appeared to be good, but it made the ignition system insane. That got expensive. Oh, the "can" thing is a "coil suppressor"

Glad you got it fixed!
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
You can test fuel pressure leak down in line. You can check the injectors by making a test rig out of an old fuel rail or removing the fuel rail on the truck. You can also pull plugs and see which ones are soaked, or blackened.

Use Ford 5.0 fuel injectors. I think ECR has found something that s supposed to be better as Mike has had some issues with the Fords (?) but I have used them with great success.

I would be interested to know. A lot of good info on the Ford Injectors here and other BB's. Any updates on ECR's injector research.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, now that it's running great, I can finally give a good estimate on the new fuel milage. Prior to all the work, I was getting around 10.5mpg out of it, 150 miles per tank would put me almost bone dry. Now I'm getting around 180-185 miles per tank, which I'm figuring around 13mpg now. Not a bad improvement at all I'd say, around 25%.

Though due to the timeframe, some of that has to do with the summer blend fuels at the pumps now. Still, it's the best mileage I've ever seen from the truck.

-Hans

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
slowpoke496
Bryan

Think I have a similar Problem

Hans,
I recently changed my head gasket to cure overheating problem. At this time I changed my injectors to 19lb Fords. Ran great for one week except I had surging idle particularly when coming to a stop. After week of trouble shooting i have found that cyl #1 is not firing the injector (checked with test light all other fire) and i have intermittent spark confirmed at cyl 1(did not check other yet, got too dark). Currently running Mallory Unilite Dist. I am going to change out the Dizzy back to stock tonight to see if it cures problem. Question is, Would bad alternator also cause #1 injector not to fire?

Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions