Running Rich.. white smoke - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Running Rich.. white smoke

Hey All,
Working on my brother stock 94 90. Had it at Robinson service in Mass. before driving it cross country and they said the ECU was throwing bad voltage. Long story short. Car is stumbling after driving for a while. Fifth gear throttle, highway speed causes it the fastest. Also does it after driving around town for 30 mins. Light white smoke from the exhaust. smells rich. I've replaced the ECU and both 02 sensors. In my searches, i've read that the ECU sometime needs time to "learn" and the issue might go away but I wanted to post and see what else I should be checking. Not sure what else would cause it to run rich.. MAF? Before switching the ECU it was throwing the check engine light and the code for the 02 sensors whenever it stumbled. Now it stumbles and no check engine light.

Any ideas on what I should check? Thanks
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Have you tried cleaning the MAF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
check the MAF connection, the dizzy/wires/plugs connections, and clean the IAC.

then have a look at the voltage across the ignition amp. maybe just replace.

my classic had the same symptoms time and again.

replaced and relocated the Ignition Amp, replaced the IAC, put on OEM Cap/Rotor/Wires, reset the base idle and it ran better than ever.

i'll never go any other way than OEM on this kind of stuff on a Dizzy based Rover ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I f'in love crap that garages say like ECU Is throwing a bad voltage ... It's absolutely meaningless mumbo jumbo.

The first cause of stumbling would be poor fuel air mix. Check all the hoses for leaks. That's the most common and easily fixed issues. Check the bottom of the plenum hose. It may look ok on top but can rot through underneath.

Check the engine temp sensor. In the picture.

If it's bad it will cause boot running when warm as the ECU will over fuel to try and warm the engine up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2983776324.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	94634  
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
I second all this stuff too.

Esp the Plenum to IAC hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I f'in love crap that garages say like ECU Is throwing a bad voltage ... It's absolutely meaningless mumbo jumbo.

The first cause of stumbling would be poor fuel air mix. Check all the hoses for leaks. That's the most common and easily fixed issues. Check the bottom of the plenum hose. It may look ok on top but can rot through underneath.

Check the engine temp sensor. In the picture.

If it's bad it will cause boot running when warm as the ECU will over fuel to try and warm the engine up.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:35 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Would this sensor not cause the temp gauge to read erratically? I've replaced most of the fuel system on my classic, still a fuel smell in the oil and fuel consumption through the roof.
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:37 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Would this sensor not cause the temp gauge to read erratically? I've replaced most of the fuel system on my classic, still a fuel smell in the oil and fuel consumption through the roof.
not at all the coolant temp sensor on the engine is totally different to the temp gauge sensor.
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i just realized this after looking, it appears my sensor isnt bottomed out in the intake
Old May 16th, 2014, 02:45 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Sorry for the ignorance here but 2 questions:

1. what's the IAD? where is it located? When you say clean it, I'm assuming you mean the electrical connection?

2. How do i check the ignition amp? I have a volt meter but only have ever used it to find ground and 12v. I'm not very savvy beyond that.
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance here but 2 questions:

1. what's the IAD? where is it located? When you say clean it, I'm assuming you mean the electrical connection?

2. How do i check the ignition amp? I have a volt meter but only have ever used it to find ground and 12v. I'm not very savvy beyond that.
IAD is actually the three letter identifier for Dulles airport. IUD is an interuterine device for birth control. IAC is Idle Air Controller, in this case a stepper motor. It has nothing to do with white smoke or running rich, so you can prolly eliminate that as long as the engine is not dying on deceleration or at stop lights.
The ignition amp is a little electronic device that converts the very weak pulses from the optical pickup in the distributor into strong pulses the coil gets. It's either working or not, and when it's not it raises all sorts of hell. You should just replace it. It may be on the side of the distributor or remotely located near the coil. If it's the former, it means pulling the diz out to get to it. If the latter it's a simple thing to switch it out. My money is on this.
Another consideration is that your alternator may be going south. This will also cause all kinds of strange schmidt to happen.
O2 sensors will allow the engine to run rich if they aren't working, but not to the point that the engine will buck and stumble. Also they only work after the engine is warmed up.
Lastly, a 14CUX ecu is super stupid. It can't "learn". It has no control over anything but fuel. Doesn't do spark or timing or anything. Just tells all the left and then all the right injectors to open. Left Right Left Right, blah blah blah times a gazillion. It gets timed from the coil, so if the Ignition Amplifier is going poop, then the timing signal to the ECU is also going poop thus poor running.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
IAD is actually the three letter identifier for Dulles airport. IUD is an interuterine device for birth control. IAC is Idle Air Controller, in this case a stepper motor. It has nothing to do with white smoke or running rich, so you can prolly eliminate that as long as the engine is not dying on deceleration or at stop lights.
The ignition amp is a little electronic device that converts the very weak pulses from the optical pickup in the distributor into strong pulses the coil gets. It's either working or not, and when it's not it raises all sorts of hell. You should just replace it. It may be on the side of the distributor or remotely located near the coil. If it's the former, it means pulling the diz out to get to it. If the latter it's a simple thing to switch it out. My money is on this.
Another consideration is that your alternator may be going south. This will also cause all kinds of strange schmidt to happen.
O2 sensors will allow the engine to run rich if they aren't working, but not to the point that the engine will buck and stumble. Also they only work after the engine is warmed up.
Lastly, a 14CUX ecu is super stupid. It can't "learn". It has no control over anything but fuel. Doesn't do spark or timing or anything. Just tells all the left and then all the right injectors to open. Left Right Left Right, blah blah blah times a gazillion. It gets timed from the coil, so if the Ignition Amplifier is going poop, then the timing signal to the ECU is also going poop thus poor running.
You just reminded me to remind my wife to refill her birth control.. Love this forum.

Thanks for the info. I'm tearing into it this weekend!
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Exactly!
People who write columns about politicians call it brabble.
According to Marian Webster it is of imitative origin which sounds like they imitate each others BS.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:37 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
IAD is actually the three letter identifier for Dulles airport. IUD is an interuterine device for birth control. IAC is Idle Air Controller, in this case a stepper motor. It has nothing to do with white smoke or running rich, so you can prolly eliminate that as long as the engine is not dying on deceleration or at stop lights. The ignition amp is a little electronic device that converts the very weak pulses from the optical pickup in the distributor into strong pulses the coil gets. It's either working or not, and when it's not it raises all sorts of hell. You should just replace it. It may be on the side of the distributor or remotely located near the coil. If it's the former, it means pulling the diz out to get to it. If the latter it's a simple thing to switch it out. My money is on this. Another consideration is that your alternator may be going south. This will also cause all kinds of strange schmidt to happen. O2 sensors will allow the engine to run rich if they aren't working, but not to the point that the engine will buck and stumble. Also they only work after the engine is warmed up. Lastly, a 14CUX ecu is super stupid. It can't "learn". It has no control over anything but fuel. Doesn't do spark or timing or anything. Just tells all the left and then all the right injectors to open. Left Right Left Right, blah blah blah times a gazillion. It gets timed from the coil, so if the Ignition Amplifier is going poop, then the timing signal to the ECU is also going poop thus poor running.
Great read. I don't have a gasser Defender anymore but like to read about them just in case a buddy has an issue.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:06 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
X2. Bill you are one funny mf'er.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
While I am not agreeing with their diagnosis, it is probably a bad communication from the technician to the service advisor to the customer. As a side note, I have fixed a handful of 14CUX trucks that had various running issues by replacing the ECU.
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Trying to apply some logic It stumbled before and after the ECU swap. So it's unlikely to be ecu specific. The previous one gave you more data ... It gave codes and is probably more likely matched to the engine. I'd out the old one back and think about the things that influence a warm running truck. The o2 sensors would be a good guess. Disconnect them and run without them for a while see if that works. While I agree that the ECU can go bad it sounds like in this situation it's not the case and given it works differently from the previous one I'd go back to the original and scratch ecu fault off the list.
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My first guess would be to check the coolant temperature sensor and the wiring to it. I've seen a couple of them cause very intermittent issues. I owned a Disco that had intermittent issue with the temp sensor that would cause the truck to run like crap and/or stall. It took forever to diagnose since it never happened when I had T4 around (no Rovergauge) and only happened when hot. Eventually I got it to act up consistently and then the issue was obvious.
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
My first guess would be to check the coolant temperature sensor and the wiring to it. I've seen a couple of them cause very intermittent issues. I owned a Disco that had intermittent issue with the temp sensor that would cause the truck to run like crap and/or stall. It took forever to diagnose since it never happened when I had T4 around (no Rovergauge) and only happened when hot. Eventually I got it to act up consistently and then the issue was obvious.
Yep totally agree with this. I posted a photo of the culprit in my first post in this thread ... Also check that the connector hasn't been swapped with the injector on cylinder 1. It is possible and would cause all manor of issues.
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
As in the ECU or the temp sensor? I've swapped ECU's MAF's etc with my D90 that runs extremely well. I have the sensor coming on a slow boat from Vt. I will report my findings, I've verified the injector harness is plugged into the correct injectors. Next stop will be the distributor.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Also check that the connector hasn't been swapped with the injector on cylinder 1. It is possible and would cause all manor of issues.
IIRC that will set a fault immediately.

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2014 11:03 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
As in the ECU or the temp sensor? I've swapped ECU's MAF's etc with my D90 that runs extremely well. I have the sensor coming on a slow boat from Vt. I will report my findings, I've verified the injector harness is plugged into the correct injectors. Next stop will be the distributor.
The temperature sensor for the fuel injection ECU, not the one for the temperature gauge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions