Running Rich Please Help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2006, 07:56 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
"And all the cool kids run NGK BPR6EY Spark plugs!"

Those are hotter plugs than stock. What about pinging? I'm caught between rich and ping. Yeouch. I went all the way up to 9s but they fouled. Backing down now and retarding timing to keep the ping down.

Doug W.
I suggest a cooler plug, like Champion RN11YC, and a bit more advance.

Exotic plugs don't provide a benefit on these vehicles. The people who tell you they got "great results" with exotic plugs in my experience turn out to have other running problems that the exotic plug helped overcome. A good LR 14CUX engine just won't show a real benefit from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
"And all the cool kids run NGK BPR6EY Spark plugs!"

Those are hotter plugs than stock. What about pinging? I'm caught between rich and ping. Yeouch. I went all the way up to 9s but they fouled. Backing down now and retarding timing to keep the ping down.

Doug W.
Hmm I thought those were the normal temp range and not the hotter temp range plugs, hmmm my 90 is running a bit on the warm side when on the highway, no pinging but I adjusted the timming so the pinging would go away under WOT. Mine runs pretty good with those plugs, hmm going to have to check NGKs site.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:44 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Saw this old post while trying to decide on plugs for my 97 D90. Thought I would revive it to get a final answer on the NGK Spark Plug question.

Mike, did you determine whether the NGK plugs that you're running were hotter than stock?

3 questions from an amateur:

- What are the pros and cons of using a hotter plug?
- Will the timing need to be adjsuted to run them?
- Also, are there any negatives (other than cost) to replacing the stock wires with a larger gauge plug wire (8.5) in the process?

Thanks.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
Saw this old post while trying to decide on plugs for my 97 D90. Thought I would revive it to get a final answer on the NGK Spark Plug question.

Mike, did you determine whether the NGK plugs that you're running were hotter than stock?

3 questions from an amateur:

- What are the pros and cons of using a hotter plug?
- Will the timing need to be adjsuted to run them?
- Also, are there any negatives (other than cost) to replacing the stock wires with a larger gauge plug wire (8.5) in the process?

Thanks.

Paul
What he said...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions