Running Lights / Interior Lights Short - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Running Lights / Interior Lights Short

So I push the headlight switch to the running light position and the fuse immediately blows, no interior dash lights or running lights. The only thing I recently touched in the circuit were the front running lights and I just double checked those. Sadly, I haven't driven at night in months, so it could be a number a things. Obviously a short somewhere, but has anyone had a similar issue and found the culprit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
You've probably double checked this, but did you alter the wiring to the driving lights?

Early on I experienced mysterious blowing fuses due to me wiring my new driving lights in reverse (since the bulb base body-grounds through the mounting screws.)
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos
You've probably double checked this, but did you alter the wiring to the driving lights?

Early on I experienced mysterious blowing fuses due to me wiring my new driving lights in reverse (since the bulb base body-grounds through the mounting screws.)
To double check that I removed them from the circuit - still no good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

I have been restoring my D90 dash and in the process removing every elec device cut-in the PO could find. I found the postive and ground wires to an added relay on the fuse block to have the insurltion literally melted off. It had been arcing to the body behind the fuse panel and had rust spots on the bulkhead in that area.

My PO likely kept upping the fuse size till it held. In any event it is possible if you ever got shorted it compromised those wires. I'd at least look behind the fuse panel. Best of luck.

js
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks. I've tracked down the last time I knew the lights worked, at that was a few weeks ago after I installed new LED lights (not part of the shorted system). Since then, I stripped the truck down for paint and only removed the front parking lights from the circuit in question and nothing else was touched, so I am a bit perplexed on what the issue is. But I will take your advice and check behind the fuse panel.

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Did one of the bullet connectors come loose and is now touching ground?
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ugh, this is killing me. I've checked everything in the circuit. I put in a 25 amp fuse just to check and it held for about a minute while I checked for smoke and hot wires, but no dice.

Could it be the switch? What about the relay? Is there a relay in that circuit? When I did have the circuit up and running on the 25 amp fuse I noticed the taillights were not illuminated.

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Did you check the tow socket and harness, and/or any relays etc in that area? Otherwise I pull the lamps and look for continuity to ground in the hot side. You can work your way around and through the harness from there until you find it. Just follow the grounds and you will find it. I once found a shorted temp sender causing a blown fuse every time the turn signals were operated. That was on an old Ford Ranger.

------ Follow up post added February 13th, 2012 10:06 PM ------

Wait, didn't you just take the roof off? Did the dome light wiring get pinched maybe?

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

For troubleshooting, try replacing the fuse with a self resetting relay....much faster, safer & cheaper than replacing the fuses continuously. When you push the switch to the first position (running lights) you should have the dash lights, LP lights, the 4 side lights, the 2 front lights and 2 tail lights illuminated. How many of these are coming on? What year is your Defender? All of the Defenders I have worked on have the left & right side running lights fused separately. Is your whole system on a single fuse? Do you have trailer wiring?
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob View Post
For troubleshooting, try replacing the fuse with a self resetting relay....much faster, safer & cheaper than replacing the fuses continuously. When you push the switch to the first position (running lights) you should have the dash lights, LP lights, the 4 side lights, the 2 front lights and 2 tail lights illuminated. How many of these are coming on? What year is your Defender? All of the Defenders I have worked on have the left & right side running lights fused separately. Is your whole system on a single fuse? Do you have trailer wiring?

It's an "83 110." My truck is a bit of a frankenstein, but I do have the newer style bulkhead with modern fusebox. It appears the dash lights and running lights are on the same circuit. I don't have side lights. I do have trailer wiring. When I get the fuse to hold for about a minute, I had dash lights and one front running light, but no rear lights or one front running light.

Semper Fi!
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd start by disconnecting the trailer wiring and then removing the non working light assemblies one at a time and see when & if the fuse stops blowing. If it still blows, start inspecting the wiring. My bet is on the front light. The old lights with the white bases that screw down have one mounting screw grounding the socket to the body as well as a separate ground wire. My bet is the wiring is reversed.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Did you replace the parking lights...there is a ground in that circuit and my electrics are so wonky right now that if my drivers front parking light does not have ground...nothing works...I think the mounting screw causes a ground to the tab on the fixture...

Again...by lights are really wonky right now and need some help also...so this may not help.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Didn't replace the front running lights and put the wires back where they were supposed to go.

I did remove them again from the circuit to see if wires were reversed and the fuse still pops.

Semper Fi!
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

At this point the most effective thing you can do may be to find the point downstream of the fuse where the individual circuits branch out and isolate them one by one to find the offending circuit. You could even fuse them individually if you wanted. If you only have one fuse for all the lights, your wiring may not be factory standard, as all that I've seen are normally fused separately right & left. You might also inspect the points where the wiring harness enters & leaves the frame for chafing as well as the back corners of the truck where the main harness joins the taillight harness. The front harnesses generally run inside the wings in clips...check for chafing there as well as where the harness may run or be pinched by the roll cage. Good Hunting!
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Made a little progress on this. As I disconnected the lighting harness connectors on the firewall in the engine bay I noticed they were HEAVILY corroded, to the point that some connections even crumbled and broke. With all connections apart the fuse does not trip, so I'll install new connectors one by one until it trips. Sigh....

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay, so now I am to the point where I have traced the fault to what appears to be the rear light harness. At the firewall connection there is a red wire with black stripe that disappears into the rear harness. That connection has two red wires that tie into it coming from the cab.

I don't have a wiring diagram at work, but anyone know what this wire actually goes to?

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Based on wiring diagrams posted, it appears this fault is, fingers crossed, traced to the rear number plate light.

It's funny that after tearing everything in the circuit apart you forget the most obvious culprit.

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I purchased 1985 110 about 4 years ago. You may want to check all your wire connections.There was alot of corrosion build up in my wiring harness. The bullet connectors had a green corrosion that caused all kinds of issues from systems not working, blown fuses and over heated wires. I took the time and pulled all the connection apart and cleaned the connectons with a dremmel wire brush. I then put electrical anticorrosion compound on the connections. That has worked good so far everything fuctions as it should.
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, everything had been working just fine, out of sight, out of mind. The good news is that this short helped me discover some corroded connectors. Several are too far gone to save, so I've started replacing those.

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Yeah, everything had been working just fine, out of sight, out of mind. The good news is that this short helped me discover some corroded connectors. Several are too far gone to save, so I've started replacing those.
Replacing them with anything special or just new bullet connectors?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, interior, lights