Running into power/hesitation issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Running into power/hesitation issues

Hey gang,

The last few times I've been out in the 90 cruising at highway speeds (or as fast as I can get the bread box to go down 95) for extended periods of time I have experienced substantial (but luckily brief) hesitation from the beast as if she's starved for fuel for a brief moment. This generally has only lasted a few seconds at best, but when cruising at highway speeds and having the sudden loss of power I start to worry.

I have checked the fuel filter and it does not appear to be clogged. Points checked and plug wires don't appear to be an issue. Rotor and cap seem fine. My next guess is the fuel pump...anything else I'm missing here guys/gals? Anyone else have this issue with the 3.9 liter?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I had the same problem. I replaced my plugs and plug wires and the problem went away. For good measure, run some 44K through it with your next tank of gas.

UPDATE: Oh, there was one other thing that may have been causing it. The wires going to the coil had some iffy-looking connections on it. I cleaned the contacts and re-crimped the ends with a pair of needle nose pliers. Be careful when doing this. You could get zapped. Also, the plug wire going from the distributor to the coil was especially sketchy-looking. Probably a good idea to replace that one when you do your plug wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Check and clean your MAF sensor.
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the injectors. It was more of a consistent hesitation when the engine was under power though.
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks, I'll give those a look...injectors last. MAF and plugs/wires are easier.
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:06 AM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Does your D90 have the ignition module relocation kit (STC1856) installed yet? On mine I did the following:

1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace the main & fuel pump relays
3. Cleaned the MAF sensor and stepper motor
4. Install a Mallory distributor (in lieu of STC1856)
5. Reset base idle & timing

For me, my problem was probably either one of the relays or the ignition module.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions