Running Full SD Cage "Topless" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Running Full SD Cage "Topless"

I have a SW that I plan on fitting with a full SD cage.

I'm wondering if in the summers I can run without the top. Here's the questions:

How easy is it to disassemble the SD cage enough to then disassemble the roof??

How easy is it to disassemble the room on the SW??

How difficult would it be to get a soft top fabricated to fit the full SD cage??

Would also likely have to somehow get the shoulder belt to attach to the outer cage or just run with lap belts.

The idea is to have something to run around most of summer and then have a bit more comfortable for the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

So... I have a soft-top so I can't _really_ answer your question but just knowing how these things go... that'd be a pain in the butt... like seriously a pain...

just the fiberglass top that is _supposed_ to come off was a serious pain but I put up with it anyway for exactly the reason you mention... but then I put a SD cargo basket on it which had to be taken off each time I wanted to switch and it just wasn't worth it so I sold the top and have stayed with a softop since... I'd bet you'd end up making a similar decision and just stick with one or the other as giving up one of your weekends instead of wheeling or something else to do something you're going to undo in a few months is likely to be not worthwhile after a couple of seasons...
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

have a SW that I plan on fitting with a full SD cage.

I'm wondering if in the summers I can run without the top. Here's the questions:

How easy is it to disassemble the SD cage enough to then disassemble the roof?? easy it unbolts

How easy is it to disassemble the room on the SW?? easy it unbolts

How difficult would it be to get a soft top fabricated to fit the full SD cage?? difficult for a full soft top but a surry may work

Would also likely have to somehow get the shoulder belt to attach to the outer cage or just run with lap belts.

I dont know how the belts attach . but somthing could be fabed if you went with the surrey.

The idea is to have something to run around most of summer and then have a bit more comfortable for the winter.

So soft top summer full roof in winter?

I ended up leaving mine as a soft top year round. In the end it wasnt worth the hassle switching back and forth. took about 6 hours with 2 guys.

Name:	ron0807 069.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	25939  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage