Runaway Diesel 300Tdi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Sorry Buck.

How about a rover V8?
I'm truely thinking about it. Right now, I will probably look into rebuilding it and see what that will take. A new 300 drop in (used) is an option too. Or maybe just LS1 it and race the piss out of it and sell the racecar. Who knows. I have too many toys and the expense is killing me.

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2010 06:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Damn that sucks big time. did it look like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Holy shit that sucks!
Thats pretty much it exactly. That one took a long time to give it up though. Mine blew much quicker than that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.amotusa.com/Z_Dead%20Datasheets/4261.asp
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm thinking another emergency kill option could be to mount a halon extinguisher in the engine compartment with a pull cable trigger, and plumbed into the intake. I think if you were to flood the intake with halon, that would kill the combustion in seconds, but it's just a theory. You could possibly have a T valve midstream from the halon extinguisher, that would allow you to direct either in the intake for run away conditions, or alternatively into the engine compartment for fire suppressant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I'm going to try that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Streaky
Alden
1994/D90 NAS

That's crazy! I've never heard of that sort of thing. Excuse my ignorance, but is the rollover part of the equation?

has this happened under normal use- driving or hills?

I am really interested in what you decide as a replacement.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no its not normal. The Rover 2.5td had a reputation for a few of the engines doing this. In order for a diesel to run on its own engine oil the engine has to be in pretty bad shape. In Daves case he had inverted the engine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
no its not normal. The Rover 2.5td had a reputation for a few of the engines doing this. In order for a diesel to run on its own engine oil the engine has to be in pretty bad shape. In Daves case he had inverted the engine.
Yeah, I agree. Except I have been over in that engine somewhere around 15 or even more times. So I don't understand why this time. I think there was something else wrong before it happened. It has been losing power and gaining heat for a year or so now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:59 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I'm thinking another emergency kill option could be to mount a halon extinguisher in the engine compartment with a pull cable trigger, and plumbed into the intake. I think if you were to flood the intake with halon, that would kill the combustion in seconds, but it's just a theory. You could possibly have a T valve midstream from the halon extinguisher, that would allow you to direct either in the intake for run away conditions, or alternatively into the engine compartment for fire suppressant.

You are correct, and actually I am going the Halon route as well.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You guys are just killing the desire for a diesel in me.

Genuinely sorry to hear about this incident Buck. Based on previous threads where you have wanted to eke out more power from your motor I'd say a V8 might be a good choice at this point.
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You guys are just killing the desire for a diesel in me.

Genuinely sorry to hear about this incident Buck. Based on previous threads where you have wanted to eke out more power from your motor I'd say a V8 might be a good choice at this point.
Maybe, but I am leary of that. The 300 has more useable power for what I do. A 4.6 maybe but then it's money again. I really don't know what to do. Were pulling the head and pan and taking a look.

Edit: It's important to note that I had this engine for 8 years. When I got it, it had 50k on it. I have raced KOH where it hit 1450 egt's. I have rolled it around 15 times. All I ever replaced was a fan belt, alternator, and oil changes. I can't really be that bummed, even though I am, since I have no money right now. But the engine is a good engine. Not perfect, but very fun.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

Maybe if you would drive harder you could get over the obsticles instead of rolling down them. Then this wouldnt be an issue!

_ puss

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

Halon has not been produced in years, so unless you have a secret stash it will be near imposable to obtain.
http://www.periphman.com/fire/halon-...hers.shtml#qA1
The valve type shut off works well, I have seen it in use and is very effective! but if you want an extinguisher co2 would be available. co2 can also be used to run air tools and inflate tires too, making it even more attractive for some!!
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Fit one of the fire suppression gas systems to the intake, then you can stop it by flooding the intake with non-flamable gas. The only variable to work out is how long it needs to spray to avoid re-starting.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I have a friend who had a very large twin diesel yacht. Once when coming back into the dock, he could not shut off the fuel, so they just sat there idling. The engine manufacturer told him to take a wet towel and throw it over the intake/air cleaners. This might also work if you can get through the smoke to the intake -- just jam a wet towel in the port.
Old November 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

may be this is the good time and right thread to find out the best preventive solution for all us Tdi owners. So far i thought Td5 were more prone to this.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Holy crap I'm late to the party here...

I'm bummed to hear about your rig... that really sucks...
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Holy crap I'm late to the party here...

I'm bummed to hear about your rig... that really sucks...
Thanks. But, I am being positive about it. You can't wheel like that every time and expect and engine to live forever.

------ Follow up post added November 11th, 2010 02:53 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
may be this is the good time and right thread to find out the best preventive solution for all us Tdi owners. So far i thought Td5 were more prone to this.
I think the idea crown posted is the best. I wouldn't want to spray crap into the engine and opening the hood to throw something on the air filter is never going to happen. I thought my rig was going to time travel.

I am going to look into the mechanism and see if I can make one that will fit these engines. It is a smart thing to have.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:54 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Would fitting a dry sump fix this? It would keep oil pressure even if inverted in theory.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

there is more then one way to have a run away diesel engine. turbo seals, being inverted, excessive blow by or any less common way of introducing fuel to the engine. co2 would not harm the engine for the purpose of shutting it down in an emergency. but the mechanical flap at the intake would prob be the best, easiest, resettable and most reliable set up. they are used extensively in the oil patch for a reason, they work, they can be tested and are relatively simple.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just get one from a VW TDI. People commonly remove them and throw them out, so getting a free one should be simple.... They are vacuum controlled. They call them the "anti-shutter" valve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, diesel, tdi