Rugged Trail Spare Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Rugged Trail Spare Carrier

I have just got my hands on a Rugged Trail spare carrier, that mounts to the cross member only. I am going to make another for a friend, and wanted to see if there is any interest from others wanting one. The plate that mounts to the cross member is stamped, so cost would come down with more copies stamped out. These are very stout, and have heard of tires up to 9.00x16 mounted, and looking at construction, I would not worry too much. I am thinking of modifying it to move to the right, so I can make a left side carrier to hold a box, or jerry cans. There was a dual model, but the seller would not send it out to the USA, so I will try to do it myself. Because the stamping, the cost will be up there, but hopefully not too much more than say what a Mantec costs here. I would be willing to supply the mounting plate for you DIY types, and would like to hear some feed back from you all.
Thanks
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC9.1.gif
Views:	360
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	44319  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I assume you have to open the tire carrier first before you open the rear door with this one? That is, unlike a Mantec, where you can open both by opening just the door, correct? Looks stout.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Yes you open them separately, but unlike the Mantec, this does not bolt onto the body, just the cross member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Wow ! That looks sturdy ! ! !

I like it
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I would be interested in getting something like this
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Just a bump to get this thread going again. I am also very interested in such a spare carrier. It seems that there would be a lot of interest in this kind that only mounts to the cross member and not at all to the body. I've searched a good bit on here and looked at all I could find about spare carriers and having one this sturdy that does not affect the bodywork seems like the best solution.

Anyone else out there interested ? ? ?
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Hey Frank, thanks for the bump. I have been too busy lately, but will get back to finding out about making the mounting plate soon. A little more info on this carrier. No it does not mount on the body at any point, just bolts to the rear cross member, so no body/door issues. Yes you do need to open before opening the door, but then again, no body/door issues. There is a pin to hold the carrier in the open position. As for cost, it all comes down to the mounting plate, as it is stamped, with a lip, not the cheapest way to make one. If costs are too great, then will look at fabricating one as close as possible, without taking too much away from original. As soon as I can shop a few places, I will let you that are interested know what I find. I would like to make 2 versions, one standard, and another with more offset to the right so a left carrier could be used for a box, or Jerry cans. I will get back soon with more info as I get it.

Greg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, spare