rubicon or d 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 30th, 2004, 04:01 PM
jonathan
jonathan lizer

rubicon or d 90

hello im jonathan and im new to the forum
im intrested in off road only this 4x4 will not be my daily driver
at first i was leaning toward the rubicon because i dident think i could afford a defender but thier both around 30000 so anny info eather way would help

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

I would rather push my Land Rover than drive a Jeep . . .

Hands down where can you get a vehicle that will go anywhere, and do anything.

That is the vehicle of choice for SAS, most of the free world's military, the 75th Ranger Regiment, and many SF teams in 5th Special Forces Group. They have field tested this thing - and it goes where others won't. My buddies over in Iraq and Afghanistan love the Defenders. One of my friends in Africa is still driving his Defender that hit a land mine . . .

IMHO I could not think of a cooler more capable vehicle on the market than the D90.

Good Luck -
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:12 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

Talking

This is an absolute no-brainer. It's kinda like saying " I really can't decide if I want to pick up a new Ferrari or this old Chevy Nova?!" D-90's are the most capable 4WD vehicle from the factory bar none (w/ the exception of the Hummer H1, but who wants to spend $110k on a new 4x4!!). a stock d-90 will eat a fully equipped Rubicon for lunch, any day of the week. More power, more clearance, more truck. Jeeps are great to tool around in, maybe head to the beach, barrel through rain drenched parking lots, rock crawl on neighborhood curbs... but the real off-roaders know which truck gets the job done. oh and did I mention you be the ENVY of EVERY jeep owner. I love knowing what they are thinking when I drive by "Man oh man why did I buy a jeep??!" LMAO....
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
A friend of mine just bought a rubicon. I'd put my D90 up against it anyday. I have driven it a few times off road and they are nice......but not 30K nice. You are paying for the Rubicon decal on the hood. Buy something that would be worth it.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh
...a stock d-90 will eat a fully equipped Rubicon for lunch, any day of the week.
Now, now...that may be a bit pushing it.

Both are very capable trucks, but am sure as you expected, you will get biased answers here. Unfortunately, it's one of those "if you have to ask..." things. Practicality-wise, you have to look at it this way...

"If you have $30K, would it be better spent on a 7 yr old (at least) used capable 4x4 with quite a few mileage or would your $30K be better spent on an equally (if not more) capable BRAND NEW 4x4?"

If you ask us that question, our answer is pretty obvious...we're driving 90s not Jeeps Rubicons... I guess my point is, you have to be a real big enthusiasts (i.e. you've been drooling for a D90) to plunk down that kind of cash on a 7-10 year old high-mileage (rusty in some cases) truck. And that is just what we are here in this board.

I'm sure you'll get a completely different answer if you were to post this on Jeeps Unlimited BBS. Yeah, I've heard them all. Even prior to the launch of the Rubicon, they're biggest arguement is, "the money you save in the price difference between a TJ and a D90 can be put in mods that will beat the shit out of any D90 on the trails."

So, if you have to ask my friend... I would say go with the Rubicon... a real good, true "out of the box" off-roader.

[putting flame suit on ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:40 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

My wife's family loves to tell the story about how one day, a friend of one of the boys came to visit. He was known as a good mechanic, and was out helping one of the guys with his car. So my future father-in-law stops by to talk, and asks his expert opinion on what are the most reliable cars to get. Without even looking up from the engine bay, he blurted out "new ones", and kept on working.

'never driven a Rangler, but a D-90 will be 7+ yrs. old, so you have to expect it to need new parts and such from time to time. If that's OK with you I'd say go for it. If you want to spend $30K on something and not have to spend anymore on big repair bills for awhile, then maybe you should go with a new vehicle.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
[putting flame suit on ]
Yeah, you better Glenn! You're going to get lit-up like a Christmas tree! Actually, I don't think it could have been said any better than what Glenn said below:

Quote:
If you ask us that question, our answer is pretty obvious...we're driving 90s not Jeeps Rubicons... I guess my point is, you have to be a real big enthusiasts (i.e. you've been drooling for a D90) to plunk down that kind of cash on a 7-10 year old high-mileage (rusty in some cases) truck. And that is just what we are here in this board.
DJ
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Lets be realistic here gang... The new Rubicon is a very capabile wheeler, new and fully warrantied from the factory. The lockers, the HD equipment, all of it. You will be hard pressed to find a D90 still under warranty and none will carry a 7 year warranty when you throw lockers, new lift, HD axles, driveshafts, and so on. We almost bought one ourselfs when they first came out.

I love Defenders. I would never trade mine for a Rubicon. But if you have $30K+ in hand to buy a wheeler, there are the "pros" to the Rubicon that make it a contender for some. If I had $30K, I would buy another kick ass modified D90, but thats me.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I do not own a 90.[ I do own a d110 ] But if I were single with no kidds I would in a heartbeat!!!! I have owned a cj & many bronco's & pickups. Nothing that I have seen goes through as many different conditions like a Rover. I have a close friend in Africa & he runs a safari company. He runs Toy Helixs & Rovers & the Rovers are allways pulling out the the Toy's. If you have a little extra cash & it is a second car GO FOR IT! You will not regret it.
Peter
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:54 PM
redrover

Hi Johnathan, Im with glenn on his points. You should know exackly what your going to use it for before you plunk down 30G. Anyway, I hope you dont think im bashing the D because that is all i will ever drive. It doesnt matter where you are-people will say something nice about your ride. BUT out of the box capable? The D doesnot come with fr/rr lockers. The drivetrain{axles/cv} are not up for large tires. You will bend your vulnerable fr bumper. You will bend your vulnerable side sills. You will oil can the the frame. You will wonder if the Brits ever new anything about wiring. Did I mention stock articulation ?-Ha Ha what articulation. It takes about 500Watts on the stereo to hear anything over the factory softtop flapping on the highway. Lift kits are primitive compared to Jeep. AND I can drive almost 140 miles at 8200ft elevation on a full tank of gas. That said- rovers rock.
I would not bet on my D in its early days and stock as more capable than the the RUBICON. Unless you are talking about it being more capable of picking up babes.
PS ask anyone with a built,capable 90, what they have into it. probably close to 50,000bucks. counting mods and replacement parts.
JP
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
get a solid axle yota and weld the diffs a cheap lift and some grips you can do anything a D-90 or the Rubi can. that said I will keep the 90 for a little while longer.
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:49 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

You need to watch this movie: http://www.lrfaq.org/BBC-TopGearLandRover.wmv
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
jbird
Justin Bird
94 D-90 ST

Great movie. Thanks for the link.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nuff said
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:07 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Benjamin,

"rock crawl on neighborhood curbs... "

Too Fu$&ing funny!

Glenn & some of the others defending Jeeps:

Truly disappointing....truly.
(have most of you ever been INSIDE a new Jeep, rubikon or not ? It's a FREAKING GIRLS CAR, doesn't even FEEL like a truck). Uh...yeah.

--------------->

One thing not said, that I say to a lot of people who 'razz' (for lack of a better word this early) me at work, and say envious things like: "yeah, you really NEED that" or "you must have a nice set of luggage for that roof rack"... IS that one thing that Jeeps, 'Yotas, or a great majority of other capable/semi-capable off-road vehicles is that the Defender 90 unlike the others, on top of it's magic off-road is that is has CHARACTER .

And that's the one thing that's important. And that's the one thing that you will NEVAH, EVAH get in a JEEP.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:49 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
(have most of you ever been INSIDE a new Jeep, rubikon or not ? It's a FREAKING GIRLS CAR, doesn't even FEEL like a truck).
I have... We were considering buying one for my wife until we sat in it and then the wind left her sails for it. Dont know if something else was going on there or what because shes always hated the D90 seats but that was easily corrected with a seat of Courbeus.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:16 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Unfortunately, I have to ditto JP and Glenn. Looking at the total package, $ for $, your getting more for your money with the Rube. If that's what your concerned with. You can't compare a 7 year old vehicle to a brand new one with warranty and stock lockers. All that thing needs is a lift and decent bumpers and tires. And it's a real trail machine.

BUT! I wouldn't have bought my D and modified it as much if I wasn't totally enamored by Defenders in general. I have long since given up the notion that I could return any value or believe it is an economical vehicle. That's why I bought an Outback wagon... I like it for the truck that it is, the look and feel, and the exclusivity of it. It's just a flat out, more fun vehicle than a rube or anything else for that matter. Other "heep" owners know that, as well as "dummer" owners, etc.

You'll find us Defender owners to be a deeply devoted bunch. Plain and simple.
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
dante18
Dante
None

Want to buy a Jeep OK they are great. Want to buy a lifestyle Get a D!

Follow-up Post:

I am sure all of us here know exactly what I mean when I say "lifestyle".
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante18
Want to buy a Jeep OK they are great. Want to buy a lifestyle Get a D!
Well said Dante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Glenn & some of the others defending Jeeps:

Nicholas, your take on this is exactly my point to Jonathan. We're all enthusiasts here and your response just proves it.

I'm in no way bashing the D90.... Hell I'm crazy about it. Just stepping out of the "enthusiasts mindset" and giving Jonathan the reality in this all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Menasco
Yeah, you better Glenn! You're going to get lit-up like a Christmas tree!
Nick is starting to light my fire DJ....

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

LOL...

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d 90