rubicon or d 90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:26 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I bought my '95 D90 in Nov. '01 and paid more for it than what it sold for new.

What will the '04 Rubicon be worth in six years?

I bought a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer back before Chrysler bought the brand name. It was the most poorly built and least dependable new vehicle I have ever owned. Jeep was unwilling and probably unable to make it right. I decided then that I would never buy another Jeep product. Others have different opinions on Jeeps and rightly so, they're just not for me.

I have no experience with the newer Jeep products, but as long as Defender parts are available I will continue to drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I'd only add...that while you're looking at $30K for a used D-90 vs. $30K for a new Rubicon...

What'll your 7-year old Rubicon be worth vs a 14 y/o D-90?

Jeep resale is for crap. You'll have a used Jeep...worth 30-40% of what you paid for it. The 90'll be worth at least what it went for new (and what you paid for it now), if not more, even then.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:05 PM
WBDISCO
Brad Bradford

Keep in mind that ini 10 years you can import Defenders legally, so technically they probably won't be worth as much.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBDISCO
Keep in mind that ini 10 years you can import Defenders legally, so technically they probably won't be worth as much.

Brad
Actually in some states (NJ being one) you can start to do that next year. AFAIK, Defenders were first produced in 1980. With NJ's 25-year rule, one can import a 1980 D110 for cheap and update the looks and viola!!! - you have a legit 110. I'm sure one can also title a modern 110 as a 1980...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We are also talking a rather large amount of $$ for a D90. Look how many completly set up trucks recently have gone in the low to mid-20's. Remember, he is looking for a truck for 4x4 duty only. It doesnt have to be a showroom princess. and he can right off save $5K-$6K which could also factor heavily. Whats the current pricing look like on used Rubicons?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

"Keep in mind that ini 10 years you can import Defenders legally, so technically they probably won't be worth as much"

I don't know about that. Your talking apples to oranges really. RHD vs LHD NAS originals to imports.
A 25 year old defender would take some coin to bring it up to date. I really don't see too many coming into the country to affect the NAS price.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM
chrism
Chris Musni
1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE

C'mon Jonathan! Why don't you come clean and admit that you already bought a Rubicon and you just started this thread to rile us Land Rover loving people up.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I don't think his name is Jonathan at all..

I think it's YOUSEF !

LOL...

Just kidding.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:27 PM
chrism
Chris Musni
1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Benjamin,

(have most of you ever been INSIDE a new Jeep, rubikon or not ? It's a FREAKING GIRLS CAR, doesn't even FEEL like a truck). Uh...yeah.

Mine has a flower Vase on the dash.....But that doesn't make it a FREAKING GIRLS CAR . However, lf you look at the lugnuts on the Jeep...they're way too girlie compared to the massive nuts on Land Rovers.
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:45 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Keep in mind also that a new Defender is supposed to be available here in 2007: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...pad/index.html 'don't know how good this one will be, but it will probably eat into the market value of Defenders currently in circulation.

In any case, the D-90 is still the coolest and most exclusive car I've ever owned, even compared to the Prsche I had when I was a city-dweller. I've had grown men asked me to adopt them when they found out I owned one.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:41 AM
jonathan
jonathan lizer

thanks for all your help cant wait to get my defender

do they make a soft to for defenders that is like a half cab like a truck looking thing?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, one company called Badger Coackworks (http://www.badgercoachworks.com/) makes outstanding quality replacement tops, exclusively for Land Rovers. They make a drop curtain, 1/2 tonneau, and you can get their strapless bikini top or go with the full blown half-cab top.

Here is a pictures of the setup with the bikini top:
http://www.gotmud.org/rovers/d90/d90_03.jpg
http://www.gotmud.org/rovers/d90/d90_06.jpg

And here are a few of the real half-cab:
http://www.defendersource.com/bio/dennisw1.jpg

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
thor
thor

late but i might put in my 2c...
here down under the d90 just came back last year at AUD$53k. yes! that much! :'(
had it come here earlier and been at a cheaper price i would have got it over my jeep tj at the drop of a hat.
part of the LR lifestyle is the uniqueness of the vehicle (tj is unique over here), and it is the ultimate for my kind of breed - the ultimate fiddler.
i'm sure all d90 owners here fit that profile.
without trying to sway you, you have to look and see if you see yourself in one.
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Jon, CHeckout a thread in the Misc Chit Chat section called "Head turning D-90 stories" There you will find many stories from us owners concerning the appeal of the Defender. As far as appeal there really is no comparison with any Jeep product. When it comes to outright performance compared to a Rubicon with factory lockers there may be some room for argument.
I found my '97 with moderate mileage, one inch lift, 33inch tires, winch and ARB bumper, snorkel,rocksliders, two tops and various undercarriage armor and bumperettes AND ARB air lockers front and rear for $29k. You can find a smoking hot setup that beats the Rubicon for a little less $$.

Just before Jeep came out with the Rubicon a friend (Smartass) told me that for $29K he could setup a Jeep that would totally compete with my D90. I responded by asking him when he was done what would he own? Yep....it would still be...... just a Jeep.

D90 is a lifestyle for sure, join us!!

Cyborg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d 90