Defender Source Forum banner

RTT and 110 Sill Strength

Tags
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  CDN38 
#1 ·
Hey guys! So a local defender guy here gave me a Hannibal roof top tent. So insanely generous of him. I cannot wait to get my kids out and camp in it.

Question is: What is the strength of my 110's roof sills. I have a FrontRunner Slimline rack that mounts to the sills. The rack isn't heavy by rack standards, but it's certainly not light -- then you add the Hannibal Roof Top Tent which is like 150 ish pounds then you add two humans and you have a fair amount of weight up there all resting on those little sills.

Obviously I see photos everywhere of people running roof top tents on 110's - I just see these little sills on a thin aluminum roof and think there is no way they should hold all that weight.

Can anyone put my nerves to rest? I just don't want to jack up my truck for the sake of a tent.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 ·
According to LR, I think the max is 75kg (165lbs) but I believe that's more to do with centre of gravity concerns while driving rather than the capacity of the gutter.

The gutters can handle your rack, a tent and occupants, no problem. Nice thing with the Hannibal is that the 4 feet holding the rack are connected to a rail that disperses the weight down the full length of the gutter(or length of the rack) . Other racks have feet that are about 4"-5" wide, thus not distributing the weight along the full length of the gutter, but only under the feet.

However, an area for concern is the gutter sealant. Inside the gutter, under the roof paint is about 3/16" of self levelling seam sealer. After time, it can start to crack, split, separate from the roof and allow water ingress. Check your gutters carefully for any signs of cracks or damage before installing the roof rack. To me, it's another reason why I think the longer weight distribution rails on the Hannibal is a better way to go.

Attachments

#3 ·
According to LR, I think the max is 75kg (165lbs) but I believe that's more to do with centre of gravity concerns while driving rather than the capacity of the gutter.

The gutters can handle your rack, a tent and occupants, no problem. Nice thing with the Hannibal is that the 4 feet holding the rack are connected to a rail that disperses the weight down the full length of the gutter(or length of the rack) . Other racks have feet that are about 4"-5" wide, thus not distributing the weight along the full length of the gutter, but only under the feet.
My good ole army days makes me believe weight doesn't get distributed that way, the best you can hope for is 45 degree fan from the loading point for any effective distribution. But if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time. I agree the wider the better though, just not with a perimeter bar that doesn't have numerous evenly spaced arms.

#4 ·
Oscar, I kinda buy into that. It's more to the fact that it's distributing the clamping pressure over a wider area than what it would be with the standard 4" - 5" foot. Easier on the gutter seal, and I like to think it's better at weight distribution on the gutter overall, but not perfect.

#6 ·
I usually put it up in the spring and take it down once the weather turns in fall. With the rack sitting low to the roof, it's tough to get a wrench in to do the nuts. I'm going to throw some rivnuts in there before camping season starts this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.