RRC Transmission locked ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:56 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

RRC Transmission locked ?

How do you move the gear/ gear selector for an 1994 RRC automatic transmission when it's together, but out of the vehicle and separated from the engine? I made the mistake of putting it in "park" and now it's locked A real bonehead move, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the shifter has an interlock on it that requires a signal from the brake light switch. IE you have to have your foot on the brake to move it in the truck. Out of the truck take a battery or battery charger and supply juice and bobs your uncle. That or simply unhook the cable from the shifter and you can move the lever on the trans manually.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:12 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Thanks Doug! I'll go down to the garage and try disconnecting the cable. I thought it would have locked in the tranny somewhere. Great news! Well, now that I have everything torn apart I am starting to think that I may go ahead with the auto conversion after all. the more I get into it the less scary it looks Besides, my knee and more importantly my Wife will thank me. Gotta keep 'em both happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
the shifter has an interlock on it that requires a signal from the brake light switch. IE you have to have your foot on the brake to move it in the truck. Out of the truck take a battery or battery charger and supply juice and bobs your uncle. That or simply unhook the cable from the shifter and you can move the lever on the trans manually.
------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2015 08:22 PM ------

It worked for me. I just removed the little safety pin and the cable, now it's free again. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:29 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

If the bezel is off the shifter, you can push the interlock pin in with a screwdriver and then move the lever. It looks like a silver button, the same kind of thing that would be on a crutch for adjusting the height of the leg.
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:08 AM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Awesome. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
If the bezel is off the shifter, you can push the interlock pin in with a screwdriver and then move the lever. It looks like a silver button, the same kind of thing that would be on a crutch for adjusting the height of the leg.
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Andy, I removed the shift lock solenoid from my '93 transmission.
Probably similar to your '94.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RRCtrans-solnoid.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	110354  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:52 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The interlock prevents you from moving the lever with your foot off the brake pedal. It can and does go wrong which will leave you "stuck in park", as Dr Bang must have experienced since he removed the offending member entirely. I also perform this minor surgery to any RRC I drive.
There is another interlock solenoid on the transfer case operating lever. This prevents you from moving the Xfer case lever when in gear (D or R)
You can remove this one too as long as you remember to shift into low range only when in Park or Neutral.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission