RRC fan fit Defender shroud? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

RRC fan fit Defender shroud?

I picked up an Hayden fan clutch that they said fits the non-serpentine 3.9. It fits the water pump threads but the 4 bolts fit an RRC fan I think. So would an RRC fan fit in the shroud?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
bump
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

UPDATE!

Ok, I really hate 94/95 fan clutches. They always seem to go on me and are just slightly underpowered to pull air through. I got word that Hayden makes some clutches for Land Rovers. So I bought a Hayden #2772 fan clutch for $60 (vs. $100-$150 for britpart or OEM). I pulled my old fan clutch and found that the fan clutch will thread to the water pump fine.... but the Defender fan did not fit to the bolt pattern on the front the Hayden fan clutch. The Hayden 2772 is made for a Range Rover classic 3.9 fan.

So I bought one off eBay to see if the setup would work and fin the Defender fan shroud. Bolted the Hayden fan clutch to the RRC fan and man it’s big! The Hayden fan clutch means business. It’s about an inch to inch and a half bigger in diameter then the stock fan clutch and 1/2-1 thicker too. Now would it fit?

Ripped the old Defender fan/clutch out and started stuffing the RRC fan into the shroud… It’s real tight. Threaded the clutch to the water pump and it was good! The fan sits very nice in the shroud. The whole fan sits inside the shroud, not like now the Defender fan sticks back into the engine bay a 1/2 inch. It also is about 2mm to 4mm to rubbing the shroud. So I may put in some very small washers under the shroud at the top where the spring-loaded screws go. I need to really make sure the shroud does not move… But it fits!

I started up the truck and holy crap does this fan/clutch combo pull air! You can see and feel the difference. It actually feels like it is doing something good as opposed to the stock fan and clutch. I also think the RRC fan is better than the Defender fan too. It has a lot more fins than the stock 7.

I still need to drive it around town to see how it really works. If you hate the normal fan clutch and hate the OEM price, but the Hayden and a RRC 3.9 fan. I will take pictures this week.
One more thing, the clutch is about 1000% easier to access to undo than the normal one.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I have a factory fan clutch in good condition laying around. Electric and aluminum radiator is the only way to go in my opinion.
And I love you too
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Thanks for the report, Dan. I may have to put that to the top of my project list. I'm running a bit warmer than I'd like and my clutch it suspect. It just so happens I have a parts range rover out in the yard to source the fan from.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks I did the test fit on my truck sat but havent been on the www. I am going to order the Hayden and a metal fan posted on the range rovers.net page. The D-90 fan/torq-flo clutch really sucks.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Chris, as you know those OEM clutches are weak. If you have a spare RRC fan sitting around I would say order the Hayden clutch and try it out. When you first start up the truck it is insane how loud it is because that fan pulls so hard. Buy 2 clutches for a spare and it will be cheaper than buying one OEM one!

Phil, what is the metal fan? Aftermarket? I assume it is different than the plastic one?

I will try to get a video up this week. It was too late and dark out when I finished up tonight.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Here are some photos, and a quick video. I need to put thick washers at the top of the shroud. I reved the engine and could here it slightly clipping. either washers, of carefully sanding down the fins 4mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	26125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	26126  

1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Daniel have you noticed any difference in engine performance good or bad? If I recall correctly from my r/c flying days, turning a bigger prop means more torque required right? Kinda like turning on the AC compressor causes the engine to bog down a little?

I tried this with my FJ40, using the "flex fan" and all kinds of "other stuff" and it turns out OEM specs cooled the truck the best. Of course the fan clutch has to work in the first place. Not saying the Hayden is a bad option because if it works I will probably get one. Just want to know if it messes with the engine performance at all. Thanks for the report.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I have yet to drive it but I would imagine a slight drop in horsepower feel. like you said, running the AC type feel. My friend bolted his clutch to the fan because his died out so he ran it full speed with the engine and he said you can barely feel the drop in performance.

I am going to try to drive it this week and see how it goes. I think the application fits more city driving/off road driving style as opposed to long huals on the highway driving styles. I just hope the drop in power isn't too bad, because I think it is going to be a great upgrade.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks for doing the leg work on this one. I have not driven my D-90 with the RRC fan in it yet but it fit fine and the RRC fan does appear to have a lot more capability. I imagine the Classic cooling system may have had a little more thought put in it on account of AC and the higher level of comfort required for that truck. The stock D-90 fan/clutch are inadequate to say the least. I am having my radiator rebuilt and going to source a RRC fan from someone. I will try to find the parts number for the metal fan. I know its posted on the discoweb but its down. I wish some knew how many CFM's the stocker RRC fan moved vs the D-90.

Its my opinion that the D-90 was never really intended to have a V8 and that is another reason it has been hard to keep cool. My Classic has gotten warm once since I got head gaskets and a new radiator, I let it sit at idle for 45 minutes at about 80 degrees outside and it barely climbed to 190 with a 180 degree thermostat. Its that time of the year, I have never gotten my truck that hot according to the stock gauge, I put the VDO's in a couple years ago and it really is nice to have an accurate coolant temp reading. Three most important things for a Defender are oil cooler lines vdo gauges and redline MTL.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I finally got a RRC fan and a Hayden clutch from summit racing. No more over heating I rode around in traffic etc for about an hour today I crept past 180 briefly but reved the engine up and it cooled down. I would really like to know why Rover did not use the fan from the Classic in these trucks....

The fan rubbed a little, I may add some washers but the fan seems to have "massaged" itself into the shroud. The difference is night and day, it sounds like a S10 blazer that clutch really overdrives the fan but its worth it to me. I have done everything short of headgaskets to battle overheating this is the best solution Ive found. This is certainly a worthwhile "mod" Ill keep the original combo for the winter time. I did not notice any loss in performance etc. It will be interesting to see how the water pump holds up.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
last update, rubbed a hole in the shroud from my negligence significant drop in power and gas mileage. This thing moves some air. It was in the 90s this weekend and around town through the gears the temp would drop past 180. I have a NAPA fan clutch on my RRC I might try one of these as it doesnt drive the fan as hard as the hayden.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The fan comes into play mainly when the vehicle is moving at zero to low speeds like 20 MPH. Above that the motion of the vehicle does way more than the fan as far as moving air past the radiator fins.

Any benefit from changing fans is strictly apocryphal.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
So you are saying there is no benefit to running a ran that actually works? I replaced the fan clutch on my RR and it runs cooler on the interstate now.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hi guys,

It sounds like this is a tight fit. Just keep in mind that the shroud will move when the frame flexes. You really need a .25in clearance all the way around. Otherwise the shroud can pound the fan and blow it up. It happened to me. Just an FYI.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I got mine to fit. its tight but has some room. I put 4 thick washers under the shroud to bump it up just a tad and then bolted it down nice and tight so it wouldn't move much.

I like that fan, but the fan clutch I think is a bit too heavy-duty. on the highway it is noisey as hell and actually spins so fast that it doesn't allow the wind to pass through the radiator.

Phillip - you said there is another fan clutch that fits the RRC fan?

If you run a lot of slow speed off roading, or city traffic this combo is great. I didn't like it too much on the highway. too heavy-duty for that and stayed engaged.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't know what to think about the fan clutch anymore. I once went electric and it worked well, but considered it noisy and it was just compensating for prior engine issues so went back to the fan clutch when I replaced the engine. I tried a cheaper version (i forget the name) and had some rubbing but it felt too load and never seemed to disengage so I shelled out for a stock one. Guess what - still loud and never seems to disengage. On the bright side it runs cool, but I hate how loud it is. Surely there is a happy medium somewhere?
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Dan - did you ever come up with the perfect combo? Mine runs up over the red before cooling back ... I'm sure that the fan cuts in ... but probably hotter than i'd like.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
So i took that overdriven hayden clutch out and replaced it with a worn out RRC fan clutch, still no overheating no more noise well see how it does in the woods.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan