Defender Source Forum banner

RRC - Best year and model?

Tags
mod
3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  roverguy 
#1 ·
I am looking into buying a Range Rover Classic (let me know if you are selling ) I have read people like the 95 Range Rovers the best because of the "updated" interior. I looked at one and I wasn't sure I liked the interior better. I would like the dual air control, but that is about it.

Me personally, I think I like the LWB. After sitting in one the other day, I am craving that rear leg room! The bigger engine looks good too, and some report better mpg. So what is your favorite Range Rover classic year and model, and why?

#4 ·
Rrc

http://www.rangerovers.net/modelspecs/index.html

Check out the link...my preference is the '95 SWB, bought one last year as I son's first car (1 year to find). It really depends if you are using mostly offroad and planning to modify = (older RRC SWB) or mainly as a daily driver = (either). Buy a '95 = rare; Air bags and improved impact zones etc.; better climate control/comfort; very hard to find one in good condition. Watch for rust in the bulkhead; rear door jambs. Rear hatch is always rusted...can replace but $$$ new. Be aware that if you buy one to use as a daily driver, you had better plan on being happy about fixing/maintaining it...not bad if working on a car feels more like a hobby than work. If you use a garage/mechanic, you will likely spend 1/2 of what you paid to purchase it every year in service. I have previouly owned an '91, '95 SWB, both driven past 180K, never regretted either one, both had extended Service Contracts to 100K miles...well used!

good luck...

#6 ·
Sam- I have a '93 LWB for sale, though not advertised yet, 94k miles, 2 owners -both in NC, converted to coils, everything works, no lights on, green w/ dark brown leather. I too prefer the lwb with the extra room, and the 4.2. The '95s are nice- had a lwb, but can be difficult for some parts as it is the only year with the D-I dash. On the other side, the other parts that are interchangable is a great advantage. Reportedly, only 125 '95 SWBs imported, don't know how many lwbs. Good luck with the search- can ship for around $1k, and may be worth it for a good truck.

#8 ·
95's are ok if you like the disco dash but that has a tendancy to peel/curl up around the edges. The SRS lights are also frequently on in the 95's I have seen so the airbag isn't going to deploy. I personally love the lwb's with the 4.2. having had a bunch of classics and having a thing for long wheel bases.....

#10 ·
I had a 95... Loved it! Earlier NASish Models are sort of a mish mash of years and versions, while they are all similar in parts there a loads of variations. For a parts guy like me they're a pita unless you know your truck. 94/95 they got it square and then F.ed it up with the P38...

#20 ·
I am split. If it's gonna be a mostly on road grocery getter then it would have to be a 93 or 94 LWB. It must have everything working since these came from the factory with every convenience known to man at the time. Except for a nav system they still hold their own today as far as luxurious appointments go. Air suspension is awesome. Loobs can fit 5 adults comfortably along with all their stuff. Leather seats, mohair carpet, wood trim...sensuous.
If it's going to be a trail rig, then i would have a hard time deciding between a two door with a Tdi conversion and an 89 with a diesel conversion. Decked out with Toyota axles, 110 r380 and lt230, a bunch of Equipe shiz and raised suspension it would keep up with pretty much anything.

#21 ·
If it's going to be a trail rig, then i would have a hard time deciding between a two door with a Tdi conversion and an 89 with a diesel conversion. Decked out with Toyota axles, 110 r380 and lt230, a bunch of Equipe shiz and raised suspension it would keep up with pretty much anything.
Hmmmmn, you just described the Slut, (well, not with the Equipe shiz as I like to do better than that.).........whats it worth ya think? Could even be a 2 door if someone was inspired enough I'd do that. (I have a pretty sweet 2 door "spare")

#24 ·
I second the 91 Hunter - one of the best Rovers I ever owned - drove it for over 100,000 miles and 12 years.

Lots less stuff to go wrong on the truck but it had all of the important upgrades. At the first MAR I attended in 1995 one of the LRNA folks came up and told me that the Hunter was the best Range Rover to have for off road use and was one of his favorite trucks that Land Rover ever built. Its still going strong in the hands of one of my fellow club members and has over 200K miles on it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.