RRC 3.9L leaking oil like a sieve - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2014, 09:19 AM
corrumpu
chris b
1995/RRC SWB

Registry
RRC 3.9L leaking oil like a sieve

Out of nowhere my truck starts dumping oil (ok not just a drop or a juicy engine).
Abnormal amounts of oil. While the engine is running I can see it literally pumping out from what appears to be the front main seal (ish) area. (centered on the engine, south of the alternator) I'm an internet/rave mechanic so bare with me.

After looking through rave I'm assuming this is the front main seal. What else should I order to swap while tearing it apart to swap that out?

1) front main seal
2) front cover gasket
3) water pump gasket?

I know there must be a "while you're there" list.
Any help is appreciated.

--chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:14 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
Out of nowhere my truck starts dumping oil (ok not just a drop or a juicy engine).
Abnormal amounts of oil. While the engine is running I can see it literally pumping out from what appears to be the front main seal (ish) area. (centered on the engine, south of the alternator) I'm an internet/rave mechanic so bare with me.

After looking through rave I'm assuming this is the front main seal. What else should I order to swap while tearing it apart to swap that out?

1) front main seal
2) front cover gasket
3) water pump gasket?

I know there must be a "while you're there" list.
Any help is appreciated.

--chris
I've had oil pressure switches do this on more than 1 Rover. I threw a lot of parts at the engine the first time I encountered this before locating the leak.
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Also check the flame trap on valve cover if they clog up the motor won't vent and it pushes oil out. Clean it and problems solve themselves.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2014, 09:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Also check the flame trap on valve cover if they clog up the motor won't vent and it pushes oil out. Clean it and problems solve themselves.
X2 do this first.
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:09 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
I've had oil pressure switches do this on more than 1 Rover. I threw a lot of parts at the engine the first time I encountered this before locating the leak.
When I was messing with getting one figured out for my 2.5 NA they would leak badly unless in good shape, tightened down and a copper washer.

Agree with flame trap as well as it is so easy to check and clean.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:02 AM
corrumpu
chris b
1995/RRC SWB

Registry
Thanks for the tips.. I'll check these first.

Yeah I'll admit to using the shotgun method (when it's cheap enough) and just sling a bunch of parts at it.. hoping to make something work.

--chris
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:23 PM
corrumpu
chris b
1995/RRC SWB

Registry
So I cleaned the flame trap, tested it for ease of air flow (all good) and it continues to just dump oil. I love this truck, but the todo list always having something on it is trying.

I guess I'm going to start shotgunning gaskets/seals until it quits. Soon I'll just need to plumb a tube/funnel into the passenger compartment so I can fill her while I'm driving.
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Frankly a clogged flame trap would not cause the kind of leakage you are describing. Something either fell off or broke off or came loose.
First off, clean all the grime away. Get as much oily residue off the front as you can. If that means powerwashing or using engine cleaner and a hose do it.
Let it dry out. Then, start it up and get your eyeballs in there and look at where it's coming from.
Be particularly mindful of holes that look like they should have a bolt in them. There are a couple of front cover bolts and (i think) oil pan bolts that communicate with the oil galley. That is to say if they are removed oil squirts out. Also, the oil filter adapter where the cooler pipes come out may have come loose or the oil temp sender busted or something. Maybe the oil filter got holed by road trash. Just get under there and look.
It's gotta be fairly obvious what the issue is.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Check the oil pressure sensor too.
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My money is on the pressure sender as well. Since this is one of the highest pressure points in the system due to close proximity to the oil pump. Its a $10 (nowdays) piece of plastic that gets brittle with age and eventually looses its bond to the metal blade where the wire attaches. Oil pumps out and runs wherever the fan pushes/blows it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions