RPMs die, then vehicle stalls at next light. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 25th, 2012, 03:30 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
RPMs die, then vehicle stalls at next light.

I just purchased a 1995 d90 about a week ago. Vehicle runs fine except occasionally the RPM gauge (not the RPMs) drop to 0. Once this happens the vehicle is very prone to stalling when idle. Has anyone seen this before?

No check engine light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2012, 07:31 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Alternator could be on the way to the grave

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:39 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine has been doing this lately, and for no apparent reason.
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Probably alternator
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:56 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Mine started doing it 3 years ago. It's so random that I haven't bothered to fix it. That, and I don't drive it as much as I should
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As others have said a dead tach can usually indicate an alternator on its way out. Check out the Action Alternator 120AMP. I have a thread on it.
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:44 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Well I had the local auto store check out the alternator. It seems to be charging fine. The check engine light came on after the most recent stall so I'll look into that for clues.
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:53 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Look on the display to see what code appears when it stalls, this should help you.
Old August 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
bcstanle
Brandon Stanley
1994 D90 #1491

What type of fuel are you using?
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I just bought a 94 and that same thing is happening. I am taking it to the shop. Hey seem to indicate hat it might be the "idle'r" if that means anything. They could be just jerking my chain because I am no mechanic.
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
BCN
BRIAN
94/D90/#1337/AA YELLOW

stall

If you haven't already... as indicated by other members on another thread... change all your fluid and filters asap. Who knows the last time it was done and it'll help you see whats happening and track down issues before they happen. I had the same problem (94 ST) and changing the fuel filter/cleaning the air filter and running premium grade fuel seems to have cured my issue. However I also have a rats nest of wiring to correct and I had to patch the engine harness (scary burnt- came in contact with the manifold at some time prior to me). I also had to take 10 (!) cheap hella knockoffs that were improperly wired (on only one battery and a warn winch). I swear she purrs like a kitten now.

If really isn't too difficult (with all the info available here), not that expensive, and worth the piece of mind. Plus you will *get* your 90 so much more...

*edit*
I've also read that if the battery has been disconnected recently the ecu needs to "relearn" it's job and can be prone to stalling...
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I purchased the Idle air control from eBay for 30$, rather than 250$ from 'official' sources. You can probably get it from a local auto parts shop, just look for the equivalent. Mine was listed as idle air AC1. As well as changing all the filters (air, fuel), I would suggest changing the spark plugs, coil and ignition cables. If you do it yourself it's pretty cheap to do (unless you get the 10mm EMI shielded Magnecore cables like I did).

I had a similar problem of truck dying which, 1000$ and 2 alternators later, was traced to a lose ignition cable on the ignition key, since replaced by a starter button...
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are a bunch of things that can cause this and I have seen each of them with enough frequency to consider them all possible candidates in no particular order:

1. Stepper motor/IAC valve
2. Ignition module
3. Ignition switch
4. Throttle Position Sensor
5. Bad fuel fliter/pump
6. Bad computer
7. Bad silver relays
8. Bad coolant temp sensor
9. Bad alternator
10. Other misc wiring issues (coil and wires, cracked cap, chicklet)
11. Poorly set idle air screw

Given the tach is dying, my money is the alternator is bad and it may have taken out your ignition module. Second guess would be stepper which seems to be the most likely cause absent the tach.
Old August 26th, 2012, 04:05 PM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

I had the same thing recently. Turned out to be Idle air control valve. I found one at Autozone for about $30. Don't have the exact part # unfortunately. Don't tell them it's for a Land Rover, they won't be able to cross reference it.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Got around to checking out the OBD...error code 48 which seems to point to the stepper motor: http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/r...des/index.html.
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Well took it to a mechanic for a separate issue and the ignition module was bad. He replaced it and it seemed to fix the problem - tach was fine and no stalling. However in a recent heavy rain the issue came back.

I just did the alternator - but that didn't seem to fix the issue.

I guess it's possible that the old alternator destroyed the new ignition module as well.

So a few questions:
- How does a 'bad' alternator ruin the ignition module? Every time I read the old alternator's output it was 13.5v. It seemed fine.
- How do you tell that the ignition module is bad? Last time it was obvious - defender wouldn't start. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace it again?
- Is it easy to replace the ignition module? It seems like its just plug-and-play.
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:20 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Ok, I have an update on this thread: when the tach dies not only is the vehicle prone to stalling, but the windshield wipers and reverse lights don't work (???).

The reverse light and wipers do work when the tach is working. All the rest of the lights and switches seem to work normally all the time.

Any ideas?! I'm pretty stumped.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Start by going thought the grounds. Remove clean refit, checking wires for abrasions that expose wire.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:33 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
find a wiring diagram and see how those items are connected.. search out those junctions. Bad grounds have a million places to hide. The correlation btwn those things provides clues for you..

Good luck!!!

~Steve
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Looked at a wiring diagram. Turns out the tach, wipers, and reverse light all share a common fuse. I checked out the fuse and the connection in the back of the panel had poped out and was barely touching the fuse lead. This was causing the intermittent behavior (eg tach dying while offloading).

Lesson learned: when reinserting fuses be sure to make sure the connector is not pushed out of the back of the panel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht