RPM Fluctuation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Question RPM Fluctuation

This is a new one for me. Yesterday 2nd through 4th gear had a strange rpm fluctuation. Whenever I was accelerating or climbing a hill, the rpm would go way up but not give me any power, then it would drop down to normal. It would go up about 1000 rpm more than it usually is at at the same speed and acceleration. There isnt any gear grinding or anything, but its almost like the gears are slipping because the rpm goes up but i actually loose power.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm sounds like a clutch problem.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

I was thinking that too, and I did just replace the master cylinder, but it goes in and out of gear fine and there isnt any grinding. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I was thinking if the clutch was worn then it would do as you said. When under a good load it would slip, when it would slip the engine RPMS would go up and because it was slipping there would be less power transferd to the wheels

How many miles on your clutch? Is there any oder?
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

There isnt an odor, and the clutch has 73xxx on it. Any way I can test to see if this is or isnt the case?
Thanks again Mike
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm I have never had to test a clutch before, but if I had to I would hold the breaks while letting the clutch out, if it slips then you know you have problems, if it stalls then it may be good, if it slips then stalls still bad clutch.

I can't think of anything else it could be other then water and mud in the bell housing causing the clutch to act up, but when I replaced mine (had the engine out and found the clutch needed replacing so I replaced it) the Bell was full of muck, and the clutch felt fine when I drove it. It is a big pain to replace as you need to either drop the tranns and T-case or pull the engine out; the parts are not all that expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions