Defender Source Forum banner

RPI shipping cost?

Tags
shipping
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rod Hayward 
#1 ·
Anybody know what it costs to get an RPI engine shipped to Los Angeles? Ive had a heck of a time getting a quote from them. Anyone build an engine similar to their 4.6 stage III stateside? I know the ECR pursuit is similar but not looking to wait 18-24mos for an install.

Thanks

#2 ·
Recommend calling them (8 hours ahead of you) as sometimes my email messages were caught in their spam filters. Lisa has always been responsive with shipping estimates. On their prices, remember to deduct 17% VAT. But don't worry shipping and US customs will take it right back. HTH. Mark

#4 ·
I had them ship an engine to me 2 or 3 years ago. I'll root around in the garage tonight and see if I can find the shipping cost. I seem to recall it wasn't that bad. The engine was pretty pricey though. I think there are people here in the states who sell or build them more reasonably. GBR and D&D come to mind. I can't complain about the engine, though, its a great improvement over the old 3.9.

#6 ·
phoenix37 said:
I know the ECR pursuit is similar but not looking to wait 18-24mos for an install.

Thanks
Just to clarify... we stopped using the RPI Stage III because of issues with quality and idle issues on the trail. The Pursuit is what came out of the lessons learned with RPI. Not trying to sell you anything, just wanted you to know the Stage III and the Pursuit are quite different animals. The RPI engines build most of their power by using big cams for high end HP numbers. We went for low end and mid range torque instead as that is what I feel is missing from driving a Defender.
There is a good USA source for Buick/ Rover V8 stuff that people use here... can't recall the name, but you might try them before going to the UK.

Back to original program...

#8 ·
I didn't go with the stage III. It seems like a mis-application given what a Defender was made to do. I did do the stage I upgrade with the Piper 270/110 cam. Not that I know what that means :) but it supposed to be designed for low end torque. I'm happy with it, anyway.

Anyway, the engine was shipped in to me at DIA (airport). This was in May of '05 and the shipping then was 275 pounds. I don't know what the exchange rate was then, but I think it amounted to a little over $500. Don't forget you will be into a customs broker for a taste too, since it has to clear customs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.