RPI Engineering / Engine Upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

RPI Engineering / Engine Upgrade

Has anyone dealt with this group before?

I know they used to sell engine replacements but havent heard much out of them recently (old website sold custom H/O engines for defenders)

Looking to possibly upgrade my engine so any advice or suggestions let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Price wise you're probably better putting a 4.6 in vs something custom built, they're not at all cheap. Don't you have D&D fairly close to you there and they do RV8 work so is probably your best place to start. A 4.6, a bit of work, and megasquirt and you could wake it up dramatically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

D&d?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

http://www.google.ca/search?q=D%26D+...ient=firefox-a

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I've dealt with them on several occasions building two motors - block, 4.6 cranks/rods/pistons, cam kits, etc. Very happy with them. Dealt with Lisa Hislop on the transactions element and Chris Crane on the technical matters.

Lots of good threads on this site WRT to upgrade options.
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender90_218 View Post
D&d?
http://www.aluminumv8.com/
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
dmurrell
David Murrell
1973 Series 3 - SW - Pansy

Registry
Bought my new 4.6 from RPI and it has been great. Price was comparable with less well known.suppliers. I do recommend using your own FedEx number if possible - whole engine overnight cost $175
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurrell View Post
Bought my new 4.6 from RPI and it has been great. Price was comparable with less well known.suppliers. I do recommend using your own FedEx number if possible - whole engine overnight cost $175
Did you order one of their turnkey engines? Also how long ago was this, their website doesnt seem to offer much info on what they currently offer.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender90_218 View Post
Did you order one of their turnkey engines? Also how long ago was this, their website doesnt seem to offer much info on what they currently offer.
Most of their parts are on E Bay.

Links sent to me directly from RPI when I was going through the process. Easy to work with.

http://stores.ebay.com/partsrange-usa

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Partsrange

If it's not listed, they will find it or have it. Not everything is on Ebay.... but it will give you a good idea.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
dmurrell
David Murrell
1973 Series 3 - SW - Pansy

Registry
Yep a turnkey with upgraded cam and a few whistles - they built it and I had it 4 days later. Don't hesitate to call them - they are very easy to work with.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

An alternative to RPI:
I've decided to part my 1991 RRC offroader because there is more value in the parts than the entire rig.
I am selling its new (3,000 miles) Discovery 4.6 litre motor with triple angle valve job and polished heads, Isky low-mid cam, 30 lb injectors and including a Mark Adams Tornado chipped Discovery ECU. The chip is the new Montrose version and sells for about $1,000.
This is a great motor and it sounds so good with that cam and a Flowmaster muffler. It is smog legal. It is not a reman like RPI and it is a hell of lot less money at $4,500 plus shipping.
The motor was built by Scott Kinnear, a Master LR Tech and Trek Trainer specifically for this vehicle - which he used for only a short time before I bought it for him. He now works for Aston Martin.

Clark Bowen
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:08 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

I know someone who has an engine he had built and wants to sell it. Never installed. I'll have him get in touch
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Price wise you're probably better putting a 4.6 in vs something custom built, they're not at all cheap. Don't you have D&D fairly close to you there and they do RV8 work so is probably your best place to start. A 4.6, a bit of work, and megasquirt and you could wake it up dramatically.
I've dealt with Mark at D&D Fabrications, extensively... I highly recommend giving him a call and seeing what he can do for you. He was an immense help in my engine build.

Not sure what the site policy is on posting web addresses, but you can find his site pretty easily with a google search.

Cheers,
Scott

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2010 09:28 PM ------

btw... he's actually up in Michigan.

That being said... if I had it all to do again, I'd just have sent my engine (3.5L V8) to him, had him do the entire rebuild, and send it back. It would have been more cost effective in the end and a lot less headaches (than finding shops around here that could do the work properly and possess the necessary knowledge to work on my motor).

-Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine