ROW wiring at center of dash? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

ROW wiring at center of dash?

The PO removed the radio from the truck before it came over but left the wires. I'm now tracing the (unbelievably bad) wiring job before installing a new head unit. It appears that he ran a constant hot and ground to the fuse box and picked up the illumination from the cigar lighter.

However, there's the one end of a factory harness sitting there as well (pictured). You can see it lurking under the aftermarket stereo and lighter wires. Anyone familiar with what this connector is supposed to connect to?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2655965985.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	48656  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
On my truck all 6 terminal connectors were "keyed" (one terminal blanked out for a total of 5 operational terminals.) The 6 terminal connectors on my truck were:

1. Headlight/turn signal switch.
2. Dash illumination/hazard switch.
3. Accessory/Ignition/fuel cutoff solenoid.
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Strange, all of those things work on my truck, and that connector is just sitting disconnected. And appears to have been for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

my 1984 has the same plug that you posted a pic of and nothing connected to it. If I remember correct it was there for accessories that go in the center of the dash.

Constant power
Keyed power
Dash lights

match the color of the wires to the manual
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

My workshop manual for some reason only has the wiring duping ram for the '95 model year, which is only marginally helpful.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

What color are the wires? That is a common connector for the year. Does it come from the fuse panel or from behind the instrument cluster? The main harness follows a indentation just under the tray. It looks like a "T" there. Comes up from the fuse panel and then goes left and right. You should have one set of speaker wires, 4, one wire for radio constant hot, one for switched hot, and a ground. You also have the three wires for the cig lighter. If it is a station wagon you may have a few, 4, wires for the rear window wiper. You may also have a couple wires for the clock.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It appears to come up from the fuse box. I don't believe the truck had a stereo originally as the wires that ran to the stereo are pretty clearly a later addition, there's no illumination wire (PO pulled that off of the cigar lighter) and there's no switched power to be found at all. plus the speaker wires and antenna wire are after thoughts.
As for the wires going to the connector, there are two greens that feed the two end connectors (with a green jumper across them, 2 light greens going into a connector, 2 greens with white tracers going into a connector, 2 light purples going into another and a single white going in to the last one.
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Get out your test light and you will find that the wires you are asking about + the large brown wire have constant hot, switched hot and illumination (dash lights).

I will see if I can find the schematic in my heritage cd but it might take a while
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You typically do have a constant hot to head units....it keeps the clock and things in business. The switched hot powers the deck itself. I'm sure we could figure it out over a few beers if you need a hand.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Was your truck X-mod? Some of the MOD trucks had a light switch thing in the middle. The green with the white trace should be switched power. Purple is usually some type of power feed. Some of the newer trucks have the purple for the interior lights. All that would make sense if it was a X-Mod and it had that light switch there in the center.
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I'm about to start wiring up my stereo this weekend and am wondering what wires are switched and contant power? I'm just going to tie the illumination in off the cig lighter or clock lights.

Edit: Nevermind, found answer in another thread. White is keyed power and brown is constant
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Tony, I just went through this exact thing two weeks ago. Wiring was completely butchered by who knows how many rebuilds and modifications.

that plug doesn't look like anything I found, but that doesn't surprise me. THere should be a constant "hot" which I remember in my truck was white/red tracer (but you should simply use a tester because things could have changed over 30 years and various "hands" monkeying around inside). See my thread from a few weeks ago. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ighlight=radio

The clock/cig lighter and accessory cluster was a rat's nest of bad connections so I started over. Thankfully, all the wires coming out of the duct/chase were functioning with:
1) constant power (2 leads had constant power - one may have been brown and the other red);
2) switched power (ACC/Ignition triggered - I think this was white/red tracer);
3) earth/ground;
4) lights;
and there may have been one more earth/ground wire.
To the best of my knowlege, none of those are speaker wires

I can't remember the colors, but even if I could, I'd say verify yours with a multi-meter anyway just to be sure. I ended up soldering all connections/splices and cleaned things up considerably and have not had any problems.

FYI-if you find the need to run new wires (including proper speaker wires, or accessory triggers for amp/GPS), there is usually enough room in the horizontal chase/void at the bottom rear of the dash vent area. I used a standard fishtape, but its not a long run so you could use a wire coathanger if you needed. There is room in the LH lower dash beneath the wiper motor for my GPS module. I also ran accessory wires for future external amps as well as accessory wires for a future accessory switch for lights etc. next to the clock.

I thought I had taken some pictures when the wires were all hanging out and I'll look for them on another computer later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	63785  
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Really helpful stuff here, thanks! Makes me wish I still owned the truck in question. This was actually for the 90 I sold last year.

Thanks anyway though!

Old January 6th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I got my stereo in with no issues. Great info for RoW owners

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, wiring