ROW TDI low fuel light - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I guess I would trace the white/slate wire from the cluster then. You need to see where it goes and what is wrong.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2016, 06:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I guess I would trace the white/slate wire from the cluster then. You need to see where it goes and what is wrong.
I am pretty sure you are right with this module.

I was fixing my not working diff lock today (adjusted linkage and turned switch out a couple turns, and she is working) and I decided it was a good opportunity to trace the wires, being that I had both floor pans, and tranny tunnel off.

Sure enough I follow the harness off fuel sender up the engine side firewall. I see the ground bolt to the upper bulkhead. I see the green and slate go to a harness, but wait! The green mates with another wire on the other side. The slate, there is no wire on the other side. The connector is blocked off. Nada. From the factory.

To double check I disconnected this harness and sure enough the fuel gauge goes to zero. Definitely the right harness.

So that means the slate is in fact not hooked up to anything and the green must be my low fuel light wire as well.

Once my new VDO gauges get here I will trace the wire behind the dash to find the module to see if I can find the problem. If not I will grab that one you linked (big help thank you!)

Alternatively I can run a wire to the slate/grey off the sender harness directly to the dash to create my own 3 wire setup.

The only other possibility is the dash warning cluster is screwy, but every other light works as it should so that is unlikely.
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:36 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Looks like this one might be best for us as it can drive a conventional bulb vs an LED

High Output 12 - 24V Low Fuel Warning Light Module | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2016, 10:39 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Any help finding this module? I have my cluster removed to install new gauges.

I looked and looked, tried tracing the wires from the fuel gauge and from the low fuel light. I just looks like it goes into the main harness that runs towards the right hand firewall plug. I mean I can't get eyes on everything but it really doesn't look like there is any place for a module to be. If there is a module it is in a spot not accessible without removing the dash. If I can't figure it out I am just pulling the low fuel bulb for now, no time for something so trivial.

In Red90's photo I can see the ignition and bar behind the cluster in the background. It definitely isn't in this spot for me. I have full access to that area.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, ht, tdi