Defender Source Forum banner

RoW Defender 110 - Tire Size and Suspension Lift

13K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  GynormousMellon 
#1 ·
Hello All -
I apologize for what is likely a naive question - I have really been trying to search the forum to figure this out, but finding a lot of tire size discussion, as well as great suspension advice, but not what I was looking for.

I recent picked up this RoW 110 Cargo SoftTop - Running LT255/85/R16 - BFG MTs. Tires are in decent shape, but the suspension is tired. Trying to figure out if this was the stock suspension or something like a +2 to fit the tires. No rubbing at all as is.

I would just do a HD +2 suspension kit to try to level it out (no winch, but fairly heavy bumper - stock 3.5L), but if I gain another 1.5 inches at the rear, I am not able to get it into the garage, and I sure prefer working on it in the garage...

Is there a good way to tell from the current shocks or springs if they are standard height? No markings,and pretty rough looking. On the 110, the rear shock is about 22" from lower bracket to middle of top shock bushing, tired rear springs are about 14" on the truck.

Is anyone running 255/85/16s with stock suspension heights?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Greg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! What you have is an Ex Ministry of Defense or exMoD truck. What motor does it have in it? Your bumper looks like a Terra Firma type and is really not that heavy. On my truck I went with TF HD +2" up front and Med Duty +2" in back. But my truck is a heavy pig with an ARB bumper, winch and Hi-Lift jack plus a 255/85-16 on the bonnet. I also have the Full Tithonus Safety Devices cage, tools, recovery gear, and a 33x12.5-15 spare on the back.

I would stay with the 255/85-16s it is a good choice for a Defender unless you still have the 2.5 n/a boat anchor under the hood then go 235/85-16 for better performance and stay with the stock ride height and it will fit in the garage no problem. As for what springs to put on there is no set formula as it all depends on what your truck weighs, how it is set up and what type of ride/performance you want from the truck. Trial and error is how I set mine up. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: Palinckx
#3 ·
Thank you so very much for the quick and thorough response!

It has the 3.5L V8, still running the dual Stombergs. I have already purchased an Edelbrock Performer intake and a 500cfm carb to hopefully perk it up a bit, but it runs pretty well all things considered.

I know it was imported from Spain where it was a shop truck for a now defunct boat shop there, but I heard it was Belgian MOD before that - Have not been able to find any proof/details on that however.

I sincerely appreciate the height guidance as well - I was concerned that if it was not already a +2 suspension, I was going to have to give up my garage spot. Will try out a MD or HD stock height to start...

#5 ·
My truck runs 255/85 tires paired with OME heavy duty springs (approx. 1.5" lift over stock height) and has all the same characteristics (no rubbing, same amount of negative space in wheel well) as your rig. I think you're safe buying the OME heavy duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for the insight! Was just looking at the OME HD kits on RN site - had been looking at the TerraFirma, but they were all around 2 inches - Quite the debate between the two offerings in my searches!

------ Follow up post added July 4th, 2017 02:17 PM ------

Congrats, I busted my ass trying to buy that very rig!
It was a long process buying this one from Jon in Colo Springs, but very happy it worked out in the end. He was great to work with, but it took a while to get the title straightened out. He has another 110 (5 door) that just came in from Spain last week, and I would not hesitate to buy from him again....

I knew he had backup buyers ;)

#9 ·
Thank you! From the top of the spring supports on the front, to the bottom of the spring support is 10 5/8 " and from the top of the spring support to the middle of the axle housing is 14". From the inside of the upper spring support to the bottom of the frame (at the bumper mount) is about 5.5" - I apologize if this is not exactly what you asked for.
There is roughly a 2" rake from the front to the rear (from center of wheel arches). From the center of hub - 19.75" in front and 21.75" in rear.
Thanks again!

#14 ·
Just from eyeballin the pic it looks like stock height suspension. I run the same size tires (255/85/16) and it's similar. They have a rake and are supposed to sit somewhat lower in front. The rear hoop is what will hit on the garage. Mine is 6'9" on the tired exmod springs. I recently installed Bearmach heavy duty stock height springs in front and it raised the front an inch to 1.5" and that's with a winch/winch bumper plus the spare on the hood.

I think that you may run into trouble getting under a 7' garage door with +2" springs on that tire. Maybe not, but it will be close. I also think the standard height HD springs provide sufficient clearance to run the 255/85/16 tire, assuming they are in good shape.

#15 ·
Thank you very much for the information Mike! Are you happy with the ride with the Bearmach HDs on there (with stock on rear) and what shocks are you running if you do not mind sharing?

So much religion/passion around what shocks are best of course - looking at a kit from RN with Bilsteins (not positive, but think they are 5100 series) and LR HD springs at the moment, but have been looking at a lot of options.

I expect I will just have to take a leap and then work through it over time as others have mentioned...

Thanks again!

This forum is awesome....

#17 ·
Not positive on that one way or the other but the HD springs did raise my exmod significantly. Of course part of that could be due to the original springs sagging.

The ride is improved with the new springs, I used el cheapo BritPart shocks (not gas charged) and the ride is better than it was although I can't compare as the truck has never had high end shocks on it.

#23 ·
Greg, how old are the springs you have on it? To differentiate rear vs. front and driver vs. passenger, a lot of springs have the model number and driver vs. passenger stamped on them. Of course a worn spring may have lost this stamp.

I recently put on a new set of 2" terrafirmas onto my 90 (no winch or heavy gear) and new, the springs sit quite high. They will sink slightly after a while but the clearance was close when I first drove it out of my garage.

I think I vaguely recall 33" of tire diameter being the threshold for standard height springs before having to go to HD.

Zane

#25 ·
It took me a while, but I did move forward with a solution and am still able to get the truck back in the garage. I sincerely appreciate all of the help I received from this group and wanted to share the details back out in case it might help someone else in the future.

I ended up getting Heavy Duty Genuine Springs (RNK5102) and latest Generation Genuine Nitrogen Gas Shocks (RNK732) from Rovers North. Very happy with the results (just have a new loud suspension squeak from the rear to resolve). The ride is great, and the rack decreased greatly. Hub to Fender is 21" front and 21.5" rear. Still running LT255/85/R16 tires.

Thanks again for all of the help - this group is fantastic!

Attachments

#27 ·
Fair enough! I would expect nothing but complete candor from this group :) Debated this point myself when I go to replace the tires. Historically all my trucks are white letters in, but seeing a number of ROWs this way - not sure that I dislike it....

#29 ·
So I did switch over to the Edelbrock Performer manifold with 500cfm Performer Carb - It runs good but it was not as big of a difference as I expected. I am pretty sure it can be tuned better, and I want to mess with it a bit, but at this point I might consider going with an EFI setup instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.