ROW 300 Tdi fuel tank/plumbing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

ROW 300 Tdi fuel tank/plumbing

Hi out there, anyone have a good schematic of the fuel tank and plumbing on an ROW 1995 300 Tdi? Tank or lines are leaking and I'm trying to do a diagnosis long distance so that I have some idea of needed repair parts. Any insight from personal history with such a malady would also be apprceiated.

If you dont have any maladays thats OK too if you have a schematic.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuels1.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	13801   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuels2.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	13802  

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Leaky line Blues

Hi Pat,

Thanks, I appreciate the drawings. The drawings to provide a general overview of system layout and connections. This is a good starting point.

Wondering if you or anyone else out there may have further illustrated parts break downs of the components themselves; fuel connections at tank, fuel lines (how many are on the thing anyway), tank mounting details, fuel sending unit etc.

Appreciate anything that will help me keep fuel in the tank.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Tank or lines is leaking from where? Where are you seeing fuel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Leaks

Hi Jim,

Thanks for asking.

There is now a constant leak from somewhere, especially when the truck is parked facing upwards on an incline. Interestingly, the thing doesnt leak much at all, unless the tank is very full, when it is facing down an incline.

I am seeing fuel mainly on the fuel tank cover pan at the base of the tank- which is about all you can see from underneath. The cover plan is wet in the back 1/2 of the cover plate and in particular around the drain plug. and no, it's not the drain plug, I tried that first.

Does this provide enough info.?

Mark
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonough
Hi Jim,

Thanks for asking.

There is now a constant leak from somewhere, especially when the truck is parked facing upwards on an incline. Interestingly, the thing doesnt leak much at all, unless the tank is very full, when it is facing down an incline.

I am seeing fuel mainly on the fuel tank cover pan at the base of the tank- which is about all you can see from underneath. The cover plan is wet in the back 1/2 of the cover plate and in particular around the drain plug. and no, it's not the drain plug, I tried that first.

Does this provide enough info.?

Mark
I have no idea what I'm talking about: the Discovery I had a recall a few years ago because the filer tube would split and gas could escape when the tank was full/filled. Could that be the same/similar?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is a side-tank truck isnt it?

There are so many explanations - the gaskets around the fuel pickup or the sender could be leaking, you might have a split hose, rusted fitting. If you can't find the leak you just have to inspect it piece by piece.

The "only full on an incline" really suggests a leak on the top of the tank, but this is pretty much the limit of long-distance diagnosis.

Old June 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Sordid Side Tank Saga

Thanks Jim,

I hear ya. This one is like guess work in the dark, especially where it's not garden variety D-90.

It all started when our oldest daughter needed wheels to get a summer job....sounds simple enough. The Tdi got elected for this assignment due to it's stingey fuel usage.

Anyway, she's 40 miles away and the thing is leaving diesel everywhere. One guy said he was going to start following her around to fuel up his own truck. Great....

Anyway, your advice seems the best approach to me. I just cant see any other way of diagnosing this thing w/o a complete hands on go'in over by Johnnie Walker and myself.

Mark
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just take the cover off below the right hand seat and look. It is all very simple and straightforward. Tubing is usually 3/8" for which fittings can be had anywhere.

It does not get any more "garden variety" than a 300TDI 90.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Cover

Hey Red,

Do you mean the floor/seat cover from above or the fuel tank cover under the truck, hiding the fuel tank?

Mark
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mark, does it have a rear or a side tank?
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm assuming this is a side tank, right? Rear tanks came out with the TD5, AFAIK.

Remove the left side seat bottom. There should be a panel under the seat that comes off without tools and gives access to all of the tank plumbing.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Late 300's had rear tanks, although I think it is basicly a Td5 tank (with a different in tank unit....sender only, but looks like at's all ready for the pump)...I've had both in here but not at the same time....have a 300 rear tank model at the shop right now if anyone needs pics.

If indeed it is a rear tank, some of these would have issues with the vent leaking which is on top of the tank and is non reparable as the tank is plastic....similar as the issue with the late disco /rrc tanks.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I have a ROW Tdi set up, and it came with a rear tank,
a sedimentator in the right wheel arch and the filter
under the hood.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I'd like to see pics of a genuine 300tdi D90 rear tank and mounting... adding a 2nd tank is something I want to do some day...

thanks
Pat
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Late 300's had rear tanks...
....but he said 1995. Rear tanks came out in 1997.
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I'm assuming this is a side tank, right? Rear tanks came out with the TD5, AFAIK..
this is the question I was answering. Late 300's did have rear tanks.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
....but he said 1995. Rear tanks came out in 1997.
indeed he did say '95.

I'd thought that the truck with rear tank in my shop was a '95....must be mistaken....

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

300 Tdi + RR classic tank + no vent = bad combo?

I've been fighting with this same issue for a while now. I have a 300 Tdi, but a tank from a RR classic. I was having the exact same problem (i.e., tank was leaking from somewhere on top of the tank, especially when full, and/or when parked facing uphill on an incline).

Took it to a shop, where they dropped the fuel tank. Appears one of the lines on top has broken off (pic); this is where the leak is coming from. The other line is capped.

In an earlier thread I posted about fuel coming out of the filler neck (which stopped when I replaced the fuel cap), JSBriggs and Dennis suggested the leak may be due to the lack of a vent/breather line. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384

I've read others have had similar issues; ECR mentioned on their FB page that "They combined the 2004 300 Tdi fuel system with the tank from a 1980s 2.5 petrol and you can't do that. It leaves no venting for the tank (as the older tanks relied on a vented fuel cap). So every time you ran the truck it started sucking the tank in. Then when it sat in the sun it started pushing diesel out all the fittings due to the pressure.

I'm not sure this is what's happening with my truck, but it does seem like it happens more when it's hot and the tank is full, even if I'm parked on flat ground. This also suggests that the system needs venting.

So the question is, should I repair this hole (i.e., have it welded shut) and uncap the other line and run a breather tube from it? Or weld the hole shut, leave the other line capped, and use a vented fuel cap? I don't understand why having a breather line running from the tank is any better than a vented fuel cap, which seems like an easier solution.

I know I could also replace the tank with a proper diesel unit and have all the plumbing redone, but I'd rather avoid this if it's not necessary.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	77019  
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You need a breather or else you will slosh fuel all over yourself when filling the tank. Without a breather it'll want to burp thru the filler neck (oops!)
To me it looks like the thing you are holding needs to be replaced due to the rust damage. If you remake it from brass you can solder it up yourself. Brass sheet, a drill, a little bit of 5/16ths cupronickel fuel line and you are in bidniss.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not really sure what you have there... There should be a suction line to the bottom of the tank, a return line to the bottom of the tank and a breather line to the fill nozzle.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, fuel, fuel tank, tdi