ROW 300 Tdi fuel tank/plumbing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Rust'in in NH

I should have posted a follow up to my original post here back in 2008. Its good insight into what happens when you observe fuel leakage anywhere near the fuel tank.

Basically, in my case, rust overtook the sending unit and part of the tank. It turns out however that fuel leakage, as serious an issue as it was, was really only a small part of my issue back then. Water intrusion into the tank managed to take out the injection pump in a big way. Its amazing that the truck still ran, and testimoney to what sort of loose tolerance the pump will take and still function OK. Sent the core down to RDS. Said it was the worst he'd ever seen. Not even worth a core. Hearing this I checked the injectors. For what ever reason two were fine, but two were also junk.

Moral of the story - if you see fuel leaks of any kind, fix the issue right away. It should be said my truck is a bone stick 1995 ROW truck, now converted to LHD and going thru finishing stages of restoration. So start with a proper sending unit thats vented at the tank, use POR or Zero-Rust or the like on the sending unit and tape off the fuel line nipples before spraying. With the proper connections in place and a tank with no rust holes, you should be on your way

Cheers Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
How would water or dirt make it to your injection pump?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

3 stooge skit

I always liked the 3 stooge skit where in this sceen the three are in a boat taking on water. Moe says to Curley, do something meathead, we're sink'in fast. Curley then gets a wood auger and starts making holes in the boat. Moe slaps Curley upside the head and asks what are you do'in chowdah head!! Curely replies - I'm drill'in holes for the water to run out. Boat starts to sink.

Any place where there is a fuel leak in a fuel tank, especially a fuel leak that originates on a flat surface of the tank; sending unit, pocketed area etc., without any special rust protection, it will rust and become not only a place where fuel leakes/sloshes out, it will also be a source for water/dirt ingress as your motoring along, even on reasonably decent tarmac

-Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, fuel, fuel tank, tdi