Defender Source Forum banner

ROW 110 Front Driveshaft Length Fuzzy Math

Tags
110 drives
1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Wolf Fabrication 
#1 ·
So when I went to drop my front driveshaft in my '83 110 with Disco drivetrain I noticed it was at full compression and I literally had to pry it out. The driveshaft I have is 26 3/4" at compression, with 4 3/4" of total spline length at the end. I have a roughly 2-3" lift. How much should I shorten the driveshaft? I will have more axle droop than compression, so I was thinking of shortening it roughly an 1-1/2"

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Absolutely! When I was prying it out I could see the motor and tranny/tcase move around. It's heading on a big off road trip in a few weeks so I am in the midst of installing ARBs and came across this driveshaft issue by chance. Glad I did. Imagine coming down hard on the front end. :(

#5 ·
Jonathan, take a tape measure and a floor jack and measure the shortest and longest distance you can get by getting full droop on the rhs wheel. I assume this will be the longest length. You may need to ratchet strap the axe to the frame to get the shortest length too.

But off the cuff, I think 1.5 sounds too much. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 shorter? Like you said, more droop than compression.

charles

#6 ·
you might want to remove the springs and reconnect the shocks and cycle the suspension. Very hard to get a full range of motion with the springs in place. Your good with the 1.1/2" from the shortest length.

Often find things I didn't think would be an issue....brake lines....bushing issues etc when doing this.

#7 · (Edited)
what Matt said. You can't get any real compression unless you pull the springs out. Another thing that may be worth looking at is wheter there is any adjustments in the drivetrain mounting. When I put in my Tdi I had the engine and trans adjusted as far forward as possible on the (about) 3/4" long slots in the mounting brackets. Front driveshaft would not fit so I had to adjust the position. I know your mountings are non-standard so not sure if this is possible. But could be cheaper than cutting and rebalancing a shaft. And your front shaft will remain stock, assuming it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.