Rovertym springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2005, 04:28 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Rovertym springs

I am considering replacing my OME springs with some Rovertym's. What modifications have people done to accomidate a 3" lift? Was it neccesary to castor correct the radius arms? Did you experience "death wooble"? How is the highway driving with that much lift? Any input is be greatly appreciated. With the diesel engine the front is a bit lower than I would like and after 1 year my OME springs feel like they are starting to go on me.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Why not do the OME HD's up front (I think they have an extra HD, I can get the number for them)?

Do you have double cardin drive shafts front and rear? I'd be more concerned about that than the corrected arms.

This looks familiar: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ics4/IMG_3925.JPG

Glad to see you representing.
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Technically, to get everything back to near perfect, you will need
Pinion corrected radius arms
Redrilled swivel balls to correct for castor
Adjustable panhard rod
DC driveshafts (definately front, and most likely rear too)
adjustable trailing links
a-arm extension if you end up needing a DC in the rear too.

Now, lots of people have gotten away with less than that, but with all of that, you could get a lot of the geometry and handling back to stock specs.

With your SW, it will be less of an issue, but the RoverTym springs actually offer more than 3" of lift on a ST because the body is so light. Also, you'll get more than 3" because the changed pinion angle on the front axle will make it so you'll need some kind of a wedge to get the spring sitting flat. That'll add a little more height too and you may or may not need to compensate in the rear too.

BTW Sheki, that engine pic made me VERY jealous!!
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:39 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Why not do the OME HD's up front (I think they have an extra HD, I can get the number for them)?

Do you have double cardin drive shafts front and rear? I'd be more concerned about that than the corrected arms.

This looks familiar: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ics4/IMG_3925.JPG

Glad to see you representing.
I want to stay away from the OME (especailly HD) they are too stiff and wear too quickly. When the truck want to stuff a tire, I feel like the spring pushes the truck away, making the truck tippy.

The ICS event that Expedition Exchange put on was a great time! Jack, who deservingly won the event, prepared some kick ass Lamb! It was the best lamb I had ever had... sorry mom.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Adjustable panhard rod

Now, lots of people have gotten away with less than that, but with all of that, you could get a lot of the geometry and handling back to stock specs.

With your SW, it will be less of an issue, but the RoverTym springs actually offer more than 3" of lift on a ST because the body is so light. Also, you'll get more than 3" because the changed pinion angle on the front axle will make it so you'll need some kind of a wedge to get the spring sitting flat. That'll add a little more height too and you may or may not need to compensate in the rear too.

I figured so much, my plan was to also add a 3-link so as to correct the front pinon and castor. The only other items I would need are the rear DC driveshaft and a-arm extensions.
My main question is, with everything restored back to stock geometry (or as close as possible) what sort of expectations should I have for on road-ability/feel. Should I expect "death wobble" at speed? Will I notice a considerable difference in handling? This is still my daily driver, so I am not looking to build a trailer queen.

thanks for the help guys
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:51 AM
johnlee
John Lee

Representing? Is that ebonics or something? Lame.
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM
redrover

Dave ,death wobble is more related to worn steering components or tire balance. Now fine vibration is what you can expect with a big lift. Also what removes vibration on a similar set up may take more tweeekin on yours. Cbass suggested many good ways to start. Also you said it is a daily driver, so I hope your ready for the body roll that comes with a 3 link. SG even warns that their product is not for rd use. With that said I drive mine everywhere. But you have to understand that if a deer jumps in front of the truck- it is full steam ahead. Any kind of fast manuvering is a disaster waiting to happen. JP
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
But you have to understand that if a deer jumps in front of the truck- it is full steam ahead. Any kind of fast manuvering is a disaster waiting to happen. JP
LOL, FULL STEAM AHEAD!! well put JP. That comment even has more meaning now that he's got a diesel engine in there, love it.
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:18 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
Dave ,death wobble is more related to worn steering components or tire balance. Now fine vibration is what you can expect with a big lift. Also what removes vibration on a similar set up may take more tweeekin on yours. Cbass suggested many good ways to start. Also you said it is a daily driver, so I hope your ready for the body roll that comes with a 3 link. SG even warns that their product is not for rd use. With that said I drive mine everywhere. But you have to understand that if a deer jumps in front of the truck- it is full steam ahead. Any kind of fast manuvering is a disaster waiting to happen. JP
I know, thanks for the heads up though. A lot of it I would imaging would also have to do with the rate of the springs, the stiffer the less roll. Then you get back into the problem of fighting the springs when wheeling, not getting enough articulation because the springs don't want to stretch, having them push you away from the hill because they don't want to compress, blah, blah, blah. From what I have heard the RTY's are stiffer than the Safari Gard, but not as stiff as the OME. That's why I thought they would make for a good set-up on my truck.
JP what springs do you run on your truck?
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:32 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, after reading the Twist Off results a while back I decided on the Rockware setup since my truck is primarily a daily driver. If that's the case with you, as you say, then why consider a setup not designed for that use? If it's the poseur in you coming out so be it. Otherwise, why not make a capable truck and let your ability do the rest?

I'd invest the money into a beefier setup instead of more flex.

Oh...if you plan on plowing through now that you got the 2.8 in it you better have agreed value coverage on your insurance!
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, I have the TDIi with the RYm 3" springs WIth the tdi I have the 3" and the 1/2 rubber isolators from EE to balance it out an donly the 2" rym springs in the back. But my truck does not have a rear fuel tank so the rear might be different.
With the Rym rear links, I am able to run the stock rear d shaft with no problems but up fron t i have a DC unit and a 3 link

Oh and the Rym springs are veny smooth. I think I have RR4's in the front and RR3's in the rear. Fine for daily driving
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:37 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Randy, thanks for the info. Finally a set-up similar to what I'm looking for. Your input was very helpful. Sent you a PM
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
redrover

david I have ome764 all corners with1inch spacer in rear. JP
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:51 PM
excanuk
Nigel Rigby
94 D90

David,

I have a set of new 3" RTY (RR3-3 and RR4-3) springs that I won at the RRV in Death Valley. Make me an offer I cant refuse...I may be making a trip down to the L.A area soon so shipping would not be an issue.

Let me know,

Nigel

P.S. Would also give me a chance to check out your new upgrades!
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, you have mail..
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Adjustable panhard rod

Huh? Redrilled swivel balls? Whats this you speak of?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
redrover

Dave , rovertym will redrill the holes where the swivel bolts to axle housing. Yes it can be done and it will allow you to have the diff pointed inline with a DC drive shaft and perfect castor. The down side is it wont work with your plans of a SG 3 link. The redrilled swivel will lower tie rod , and there is no room inthe 3 link rock gaurd for this. You could fab your own 3 link with a bent style tie rod for tie rod protection. Thus eliminating the rock gaurd box tubing. So you gain back stock castor and combine it with the wash and roll performance of the 3link. JP
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Huh, how strange. It seems like it would be way easier to cut off the radius arm brackets and remount them for proper DS alignment. That way the tie rod moves up with the axle.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Representing? Is that ebonics or something? Lame.
No Johnny boy. It's plain english. Lame.
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I want to stay away from the OME (especailly HD) they are too stiff and wear too quickly. When the truck want to stuff a tire, I feel like the spring pushes the truck away, making the truck tippy.

The ICS event that Expedition Exchange put on was a great time! Jack, who deservingly won the event, prepared some kick ass Lamb! It was the best lamb I had ever had... sorry mom.

Follow-up Post:

I figured so much, my plan was to also add a 3-link so as to correct the front pinon and castor. The only other items I would need are the rear DC driveshaft and a-arm extensions.
My main question is, with everything restored back to stock geometry (or as close as possible) what sort of expectations should I have for on road-ability/feel. Should I expect "death wobble" at speed? Will I notice a considerable difference in handling? This is still my daily driver, so I am not looking to build a trailer queen.

thanks for the help guys
Dave-

If you have your tank in the stock location I don't think you can run an A arm extension.

Tis
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I called RTY this morning and inquired about what would work with my set-up. I also inquired about the a-arm extension, they didn't mention anything about not being able to run it because of the gas tank. I also asked about the swivel ball and the 3-link, they told me you that you can re-drill, the swivel ball and still run a 3-link.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions