Rovertym rear link installation?'s - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Rovertym rear link installation?'s

Picked up the upgraded rear links from Rovertym, I am trying to gauge the difficulty to install them.

I hoped that I could park it with parking brake on, crawl under remove the old one and slide the new ones on, one side at a time without the axle moving around.

Is that wishful thinking? Any pointers appreciated

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You will have no problem even if you move the 2 at once.. just dont try and move it when they are off... THe biggest thing is just putting in the proper spacers for your truck... If you have no vibs now, try to ge tthe same pinion angle with the proper shims.. IF you can, pick up an angle finder from a hardware store.. they have a magnet on them.. check the angle before removing them and they when you put the new ones on.. you cna then add or remove shims as needed..
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Make sure to PB Blast everything and have a big breaker bar handy those bolts are on there good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Well,
I got the old one off no problem (even without the PB).
I had asked RN for every bushing on a d90 and I guess they left one out.
I didn't have the bushing that looks like it will need to be pressed in.

So time to order more parts
Thanks for the help....hated to get the thing off and my axle roll out and dissable the truck on such a pretty weekend
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Make sure to PB Blast everything and have a big breaker bar handy those bolts are on there good.
At Harbor freight you can get an impact wrench for $25 and a compressor for $50. If you don't have one, I strongly suggest you go get one. Your days of PB and breaker bars will be over and you'll find all your jobs take almost half the time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 18th, 2006, 05:41 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
At Harbor freight you can get an impact wrench for $25 and a compressor for $50. If you don't have one, I strongly suggest you go get one. Your days of PB and breaker bars will be over and you'll find all your jobs take almost half the time.
Jayzus Dave....you're even cheaper than you proffess to being...

I'd never spend less than $30 on an air wrench, always go for the quality tools ( big lots!!)

While you're tool shopping get a grinder that will spin an 8" cutting disk so you can get in and cut the old bolts that have siezed into the bushings. It's even quicker and will save the wear and tear ( or total destruction) of you're $50 compressor.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Jayzus Dave....you're even cheaper than you proffess to being...

I'd never spend less than $30 on an air wrench, always go for the quality tools ( big lots!!)

While you're tool shopping get a grinder that will spin an 8" cutting disk so you can get in and cut the old bolts that have siezed into the bushings. It's even quicker and will save the wear and tear ( or total destruction) of you're $50 compressor.
I'm a huge CB! I splurged and picked up the $32 impact wrench, but I do have a nice Husky air compressor. I only go super cheap on the small stuff. I picked up a full impact socket set a while ago for $12! Oh yeah.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Harbor Freight has great cheap air stuff... I got a rivet gun for $19 and have installed about 1000 with it so far.. cant beat it..
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

well good luck to both of ya.

every time I veer off the Snap-on, MAC path I regret it. My tools do live a pretty hard life though.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
well good luck to both of ya.

every time I veer off the Snap-on, MAC path I regret it. My tools do live a pretty hard life though.
I know, you just have to accept what you are getting. I broke a huge table vice in half I got from them. The casting was the worst thing I have ever seen. But, if you get tools there from a company called Pittsburg (made in China) they are actually really good for the money.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation