Rovertym A arm extension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Rovertym A arm extension

Has anyone placed one of these http://www.rovertym.com/? I am told that I need to trim the attachment knuckle that this fits on so as to clear the gas tank on my 90. Not sure how to do this or how much to trim but it sounds a little hokey. I trust the guys at Rovertym but I wanted some opinions here. I'm trying to get rid of some drivetrain vibs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

What sort of lift do you have? Do you have a Double cardon Rear D shaft?
Ideally to eliminate a vibe with a regular old single cardon shaft the two shafts that it attaches to need to be parallel. So the pinon shaft and the transfer case output shaft need to be parallel. Installing the gizmo to move the top of the axle back will work with a double cardon shaft because the end that is not a Double cardon (CV type) needs to point directly at the end of the DC joint.. Perhaps the solution is to tilt the axle housing down making the two shafts parallel again. Do this using longer trailing arms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Had it on my range rover.. Adds crazy amounts of flex to the suspension. I had 14 inch travel bilstiens on the back and when they were drooped it looked like the rear axle fell out of the car. Installing that a arm extension is a massive bitch. (At least for me) have plenty of crow bars and jacks around if you do it. Wont help you with driveline vibrations, i seoncd the above post, try trailing arms first.
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Agree with everyone else that longer trailing arms are what's needed to address driveline vibes if you've isolated them to the rear of your truck. I have the Rovertym A-Arm extension on my 110, but it's purpose is to eliminate bind at the ball joint that results from a lift.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Sorry so brief earlier. I do have a DC shaft, thanks GBR. I am planning on the longer trailing arms but was told that i would need to get the A-arm ext as well. I have OME springs with spring isolators and shocks, currently. I understand that I need to get longer shocks as well if I go this route.

To catch you up on my situation. I get a vibe at 45 mph and it goes away at 55mph. I had a rear u-joint go out last month and I replaced it. THe vibe remained so I got a DC shaft. I located the vibe to the rear by removing the rear shaft and driving it. The vibe was gone. I also took the stock trailing arms off and moved the bushing forward to pitch the pinion up a little to see if the vibe improved but it was worse. My next plan is to change out the trailing arms.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It's rarely this simple but check that all the bolts are tight. I know when I had vibrations from a bad u-joint I swapped shafts to a DC which requires adapter plates. It was a GBR one matter of fact. Little while later the vibes cam back and I was about to oder up all new u-joints when I looked under the truck to notice the bolts from the shaft to the adapter plate had backed out.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Could also be a bad pinion bearing on the diff or a bad output bearing on the transfer case.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Longer and not shorter trailing arms? I thought with the DC in the rear you wanted shorter arms.
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Could also be a bad pinion bearing on the diff or a bad output bearing on the transfer case.

This is a possibility. How does one check the pinion bearing?
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes with a DC you need sorter arms or the A arm extension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Yes with a DC you need sorter arms or the A arm extension
Mike, I've the same problem. Installing the shorter trailing arms helped a bit; but I'm convinced that our automatic transmissions are not as forgiving as manuals so we may be feeling it more. My buddies with the exact same setup in 94's don't experience any vibrations. It's a PITA and I hate this about my truck almost as much as I hate how my electronics are failing one at a time.

Clay
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Keith made me a set of shorter trailing arms based on the measurements he had me make on my Series coiler. The Designa coiler chassis gives you huge rear shaft angle and the short arms and a Tom Woods DC rear prop shaft fixed it. Problem is I now have an even shorter wheelbase, 86 3/4". Next year I am going to redo my rear A arm bushings and ball joint and may add an A arm extension and a couple of the trailing arm spacers Keith included to keep the correct pinion angle but also recenter my rear wheel in the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0114.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	11439  
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, you should reinstal the stock shaft and install a set of rear trailiong arm spacers from rovertym first. they come in a kit of 3 sizes. use the middle size first. what size lift do you have? with a 3" lift, I am running rym rear links with the middle size spacer and no vibs. YOu might not need the dc shaft.. get an angle finder from the hardware store and check your pinion angle
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
This is a possibility. How does one check the pinion bearing?
there should be no latteral movement in the pinion or tc output

is your drive line set right?????????
Answer some of the Q"S asked by Keith you have one of the best pep's responding to your thread use him.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have the RT rear links they helped a little, they made my wheelbase longer. It seems they may be better suited to a 3" lift. I still have some vibe though I think its the rear diff.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Yeah, I wonder sometimes if the vibes are coming from my 3rd member/rear diff. Any ideas on how to check this?
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

how do you expect help if you don't read & answer posts..
Perhaps I am just an ass!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions