Rovers North Tail Lamp Guard Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

Rovers North Tail Lamp Guard Install

Have any of you installed Rovers North's tail lamp guards? Drivers side looks pretty straight forward but the passenger side guard doesn't seem to sit flush. Specifically its the longer tab at on the bottom of the guard that doesn't touch the body of the truck. It seems to be about a quarter inch off the body. Also, the spot on the body where this tab should touch doesn't look like I can drill through and install a nut an bolt. Lastly, any tricks to drilling holes in the body?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	15113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Either bend it yourself or let the nut and bolt tighten it down. For drilling, cover the are first with masking tape, you can make your mark on the tape, move it if necessary, and it will prevent the drill from possibly damaging the surrounding paint when you drill through.

And if you paid more than 30 bucks for those light guards, send them back and call RDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
I just built a nylon spacer and put it between the truck body and lamp guard. (you could use a stack of nylon washers if you don't have any nylon bar stock to fab a spacer). I used nylon so I would not muck up the paint on my truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2008, 12:00 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Tips for drilling:

MEASURE THRICE. DRILL ONCE!!

D
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Ive seen those 'guards' do more damage by catching on things. I think its better to run without them.

-Jeff

Agreed 1000%

Replace a broken lamp for a few bucks, or replace the entire rear panel for many bucks...
I never understood lamp guards either, but then again they bring us a lot of bodywork jobs so I guess I should like them.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
What are they protecting anyway? I'd rather have a busted lamp lens than driled holes in the body work...my 2 cents...

Old September 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I have them from the PO Don't bother. Those that wheel whith me have seen what happens when you back into a tree with them on. Drivers side is bent in to below the light and that bottom tab punched a hole through the body panel. So now its a royal pain to change the bulb. Granted this is on a 94.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old September 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
I have them from the PO Don't bother. Those that wheel whith me have seen what happens when you back into a tree with them on. Drivers side is bent in to below the light and that bottom tab punched a hole through the body panel. So now its a royal pain to change the bulb. Granted this is on a 94.
Same here - PO had installed them on my '95 as well. Getting the lense cover off to change a bulb is a PITA. You can't stand on them as much as they have a tempting location. They might look "cool" but I wouldn't mind if I didn't have them myself.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
I have them from the PO Don't bother.
Agree also. I took mine off. Put in small plugs to cover holes for now. Looks lame, but figure it's better than catching on something and really doing damage.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Replace a broken lamp for a few bucks
My LED's were a bit more than a few bucks . . . .
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

A replacement LED, or factory lens unit is still cheaper than fixing the 4 or so holes and dents that the lamp guards make when they get ripped off or dented in is my point.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I just spent about 900 bucks fixing a bent rear quarter panel from the driver's side guards from the previous owner (saved the lights though ) That being said it definitely looks better with them on!
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

Wow, thanks guys. I think I paid $25 or so but I think I'll hold off on putting them on...perhaps never put them on. Thanks for the advice.
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They'd be great for a trailer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp