Rovers North Soft Top Fit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:26 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Rovers North Soft Top Fit

So I decided to go the quick route and buy a Rovers North top to replace the torn up bestop. I was super excited to get it and installed it as best I could. The problem is that the top does not fit well across the header bar and around the doors. There are large 'holes' at the top corners of the windshield, where all the water would normally come, in because it does not fit well there. At the back of the door tops the top sits too far forward, but if I could pull it farther rearwards, which I can't more than a 1/4 inch, the snaps on the horizontal bars over the doors won't line up.

Has anyone here bought one of these and had fitment problems, and please don't go on about how I should have waited for Chris to build me a real top.
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mine it that way too. I cut down the metal bars which helped a bit with fitment. I was thinking about having a strap sewn in to make it fit better, but I don't drive it enough to care enough.

Should have not let the badger go with chicky, but oh well.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Post some pics and we may be able to help further. I think it was brn24whl here who posted a thread and a video on the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Can you post photos?
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:47 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Mine doesn't fit snug at the back. The rear side windows are loose on the belt rail and the rear big window has a wave because the zipper at the top is not sewn parrallel to the rear tailgate. Wouldn't buy one again.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:02 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Install of a Bestop by AB...same principles go installing any top.

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:09 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Thanks for posting a video link I will definitely look at it. I actually have a new one from AB in a box to go on my 90 build.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I have rocky mountain door tops but I honestly cannot see their dimensions being different that a rover door top. I've managed to tidy up the front header bar by folding the vinyl strip back under the top and inserting that into the header bar but still the top sits way too far forward to seal the back vertical of the front doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3224.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	90872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3226.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	90873  

Name:	IMG_3227.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	90874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3236.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	90875  

Name:	IMG_3238.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	90876  
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:27 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad View Post
I have rocky mountain door tops but I honestly cannot see their dimensions being different that a rover door top. I've managed to tidy up the front header bar by folding the vinyl strip back under the top and inserting that into the header bar but still the top sits way too far forward to seal the back vertical of the front doors.
It looks like your gap is linear between the door top and the top (from B pillar to windscreen). I would for Sh*ts and grins try a Rover door top and see what the difference is.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2014 12:31 AM ------

Quote:

also, I am not getting what you mean by the header bar as it looks like the front of your top is not seated right in the header bar. Did you happen to tighten up the windscreen bolts through the bulkhead?
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:15 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I managed to get the front of the top seated nicely by folding the plastic strip back under the fabric and inserting all of it into the header bar slot. I think I've got that part right. No instructions with the top and the OEM top I didn't recall having to do that. This is my second 90 and I'm regretting selling the original, aside from the dual ARB's, Roverdrive, and 2.8 TGV on this one.

I've been looking for OEM door tops but cant find any for sale. I'm sure the Rocky's are the same dimensions but when I look closely at the alignment with the back vertical of the door itself they do look a little off. Anyone got a photo of how their OEM door tops line up with the door?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	90877  
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:36 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

ahh that looks better

Quote:
I managed to get the front of the top seated nicely by folding the plastic strip back under the fabric and inserting all of it into the header bar slot. I think I've got that part right. No instructions with the top and the OEM top I didn't recall having to do that. This is my second 90 and I'm regretting selling the original, aside from the dual ARB's, Roverdrive, and 2.8 TGV on this one.

I've been looking for OEM door tops but cant find any for sale. I'm sure the Rocky's are the same dimensions but when I look closely at the alignment with the back vertical of the door itself they do look a little off. Anyone got a photo of how their OEM door tops line up with the door?

If you owned a 94 before it was a tickford top with a metal strip inside the fabric that you had to fold and fit into the header. I don't have my 90 right now to take a picture of the door top.
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:53 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

The 94 I had before was a Canadian version and it had a Bestop with the belt rails. Maybe was modified by the previous owners but thats what I had, and really liked it but overbuilt it and needed more space, so got a 110. Overbuilt that and sold it for a new VW. Got bored and sold that for the 90 I have now.
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I think I have it better but not perfect. Not Badger perfect at least, but better than the OEM top. I could not get the roof of the top to move farther back but I could slide the belt rail rearwards a little to allow the fit to improve at the bottom of the doors. That meant I had to fudge a little at the seal around the roll cage so there is a wrinkle, but at least the door closes into the seals instead of pushing them in. All other belt rail portions were not a problem.

Thanks for the info and insight to all who replied.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top, top