Rovers North HID Xenon kit? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
stnmikita
Brian
1995 Defender SW

Rovers North HID Xenon kit?

Has anyone had any experience with this kit on a Defender?

There seems to be a lack of really good systems for conversion but I'm hopeful that Rovers North might have hit on a good option?

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...-bulb-kit.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

It looks like a pretty good kit. I would stay away from the ebay ones... My local auto shop showed me some "samples" of the ebay ones. Harneses fried, wires toasted, bulbs burning out in a monthetc...

1. I would make sure the one that RN is selling has Hi and Low beam, some of the cheaper ones only have low beam.

2. Glass makes a huge difference: I currently have the Hella H4 glass on my truck (very nice about $40 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HELLA...Q5fAccessories)

3. Here is the PIAA install in structions http://www.piaacanada.com/HIDH4.pdf If you call PIAA in the US you have to tell them you want them for off road use (farm, racing etc..) Or you can get them from Canada..

4. I currently run the 85/135 the Piaa bulbs. The bulbs last about a year and I will be upgrading to HID when the next bulb blows.

5. When one HID bulb goes you have to change both or they won't match.

6. I have been told to seal the rubber gasket around the H4 lens to keep water coming in if I decide to cross more creeks..

On a side note: At Mar I had the H4 glass and the PIAA bulbs got it so hot that when I did a creek crossing they cracked (the lights where on for about 3 hours...) The HID won't get anywhere near as hot as the HID.
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ive been reading about HID's from what I can gather the HIDs need to be in a reflector designed for an HID and its illegal to run them on the road. There are plenty of kits available that are high quality for less than what RN is asking.

The best bet is to run the e-codes in stock wattage or the Osram bulbs to keep it all simple...
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
ive been reading about HID's from what I can gather the HIDs need to be in a reflector designed for an HID and its illegal to run them on the road. There are plenty of kits available that are high quality for less than what RN is asking.

The best bet is to run the e-codes in stock wattage or the Osram bulbs to keep it all simple...
This is the route I am going with. I picked up a set of e-codes with 55/65W bulbs and am building an upgraded harness for power...I plan to put the harness in with the stock sealed beams first so I can do some comparison pics as I upgrade.

On the HID, I would spend the money on a good set (or 2) of auxiliary lights before the HID's but then, I have never owned a vehicle with HID's so I may not be the best judge!
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

These are the bulbs I run with the Hella H4 glass

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...PIA10904/353.0

I am very happy with the result.. The bulbs meet Dot but the glass does not. I have them propery aimed and I passed inspection no problem. I also have a headlight adjustment in the ROW truck.... Most officers are not looking at your bulbs or glass, they just want to make sure you are not blinding other drivers... When I want to do that I light up my Piaa 580's....
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
adafish
adrian fisher
1984110 double cab

see my thread on " headlamps" fella...
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

If anyone wants more info on PIAA products, I am available during the week at 800 665-5031 9-5 Pacific. I fill the orders for PIAA Canada. I have just come back from visiting the factory in China that is manufacturing the best H4 HID kit out there. (They also manufacture for the major German companies.) I suppose I should post a technical deal on what is going on now with HID.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstay View Post
If anyone wants more info on PIAA products, I am available during the week at 800 665-5031 9-5 Pacific. I fill the orders for PIAA Canada. I have just come back from visiting the factory in China that is manufacturing the best H4 HID kit out there. (They also manufacture for the major German companies.) I suppose I should post a technical deal on what is going on now with HID.

Does that mean we get a discount? I would like to go the PIAA HID route (for off road use only of course....).
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What's the difference between what RN is selling and an ebay kit.... besides price? They more or less look identical. Here's a kit on ebay for $88 with a 5-year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...ht_7314wt_1167
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

My 2 sents:
1. Went with Hella H-4 headlight housing and ran PIAA superwhites with an auxilliary harness when I first purchased the rig in 06. Power for the harness was pulled off a the starter leed and the relay was activated by the normal headlights set up. Much better than stock.

2. As an upgrade I bought the 4000 kit from Group 5 motorsports here in San Diego for $200 which was a high and low beam set up. MY GOSH WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I would choose the HID's any day of the week and 2x on Sunday. They were easy to install and are some much nicer than any headlights I have run before. They were easy to wire in too.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
What's the difference between what RN is selling and an ebay kit.... besides price? They more or less look identical. Here's a kit on ebay for $88 with a 5-year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...ht_7314wt_1167
It looks like there is no high beam on that one.
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just ordered H4 housings. I'm now trying to figure out what to put in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
My 2 sents:
1. Went with Hella H-4 headlight housing and ran PIAA superwhites with an auxilliary harness when I first purchased the rig in 06. Power for the harness was pulled off a the starter leed and the relay was activated by the normal headlights set up. Much better than stock.

2. As an upgrade I bought the 4000 kit from Group 5 motorsports here in San Diego for $200 which was a high and low beam set up. MY GOSH WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I would choose the HID's any day of the week and 2x on Sunday. They were easy to install and are some much nicer than any headlights I have run before. They were easy to wire in too.
------ Follow up post added October 10th, 2010 06:09 PM ------

Ah. That's why its cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
It looks like there is no high beam on that one.
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I spoke to my electrical guy and he talked me into the HIDs. He said there is a lot of junk out there and that size matters when it comes to these kits. A lot of the cheap eBay kits have small converters or whatever they're called. The big "can" ones are the best. They are the same ones that goes into BMW's, etc
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

What about an OEM Gelandewagen setup?
They use 7" Round headlights too.

---

Wow, just looked a bit and they can easily fetch into the $1000 range for everything
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

The best place the get HID kits hands down is DDM tuning. Used by most BMW enthusiasts, they have a lifetime bulb warranty on some of thier kits.

They offer a 55watt H4 hi/lo beam kit in any color temp for $65 bucks.

I had a set of the H7s in my E30 that lasted 2 years before a bulb went.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

What offers the best pattern? Ecode or the standard H4s? Also where to find the Ecodes cheap?
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
On a side note: At Mar I had the H4 glass and the PIAA bulbs got it so hot that when I did a creek crossing they cracked (the lights where on for about 3 hours...) The HID won't get anywhere near as hot as the HID.

I had that same problem at last year's MAR. Hot headlights and cold mud do not mix well.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

i have the e code hella's and have am tired of 2 things

1) the PIAA bulbs (100w, etc.) burn out pretty consistastantly even with the ARB relay harness in place. Hella bulbs in stock wattage do last somewhat longer but neither seems like a good solution
2) water ingress into the bulbs will crack them

To me the best solution is the trucklite LED headlights (some increased output as well) - and sealed LED Tail lights.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm going to order that kit then. Thanks!

I ordered the Hella H4's but my electrical told me to return them and get the IPF's instead. He's really good so I trust his opinion from an electrical perspective.

Do I also needb HID harness, Error eliminator and adaptor cables? Which bulb color did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
The best place the get HID kits hands down is DDM tuning. Used by most BMW enthusiasts, they have a lifetime bulb warranty on some of thier kits.

They offer a 55watt H4 hi/lo beam kit in any color temp for $65 bucks.

I had a set of the H7s in my E30 that lasted 2 years before a bulb went.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

What offers the best pattern? Ecode or the standard H4s? Also where to find the Ecodes cheap?
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
rallylights.com
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Keep in mind that HID bulbs in headlight housings made for Halogens are illegal in all states, not to mention very annoying to other drivers.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit