Rovers North HID Xenon kit? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Keep in mind that HID bulbs in headlight housings made for Halogens are illegal in all states, not to mention very annoying to other drivers.
Why are they annoying? A well adjusted light shouldn't cause a problem for other drivers ... unless its jealousy!

HID's are illegal in Europe without auto leveling ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why are they annoying? A well adjusted light shouldn't cause a problem for other drivers ... unless its jealousy!

HID's are illegal in Europe without auto leveling ...

I would have to agree about the adjusted light.

I would like to see where it states they are illegal for use. The manufacturer is responsible to state if they meet spec or not, and if you buy the kit without the lens they have no way in controlling which lens you use.

I do not believe that it is not legal to take a 6000k bulb and ballast out of you Range rover that is toast and replace it with a 6000k bulb and ballast from Piaa to avoid having to buy a dealer part. That being said. Most officers are using the common sense approach when it comes to these lights. If it is aimed wrong and the wrong color you get a ticket..... I have found no where in the NHTSA or DOT where they say they are not legal for use on the roads. The manufacuter just has not "self" certified them... It is another grey area.......
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Honestly what is the big deal about DOT cert? How many of us run H4 lenses that are not approved?

Be kind to oncoming motorists and don't get the getto purple either. But for the reduced heat and increased visibility, go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

These things need to be focused properly. If you haven't noticed, they're bright. My guess is a typical reflector designed for fairly low intensity halogen bulbs won't do it sufficiently.
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Are there any legal HID kits with HID housings that fits a defender?
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Up to now, H4 HID Hi/Lo kits do not have an accurate enough focal point to pass DOT's muster. If you look at your H4 bulb, the filaments are offset. H4 HID Hi/Lo bulbs move in and out by way of a solenoid but they don't compensate for the offset. Therefore, one or both of the beams will have a slightly scattered pattern that won't make it through testing. Some of the cheaper kits are pretty poor and can be quite annoying to oncoming traffic. Even PIAA does not import the better Japanese kits anymore due to price. Pretty much everything these days come from China and there are different qualities. Ballast size does not impact function or quality. It's what's in them and how they are assembled that's important. Installing approved DOT HID bulbs and putting them in a normal halogen lamp is not kosher as bulbs and lamps are tested and approved together as a unit. Danny referred to the Gwagen units - not sure if they're a direct fit but it would make them legal.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

The light output is different, so requires a different reflector and lens.
It's not just DOT, it's the NHTSA that's enforcing it.
http://dsl.torque.net/images/techdoc..._Crackdown.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
True, the problem is you can't properly adjust an HID bulb to work correctly with a halogen lens. It's not possible.

Aiming lower of course helps, but then you end up with more foreground light, where you don't really need it, and less distance lighting. In fact, not only do you not need more foreground light, it's actually counter productive because of the way your eyes react.
The photo illustrates the brighter lighting close in, which is the opposite of where you want it.

I know there are a lot of companies selling the kits and they will continue until they are caught. I'm really surprised RN is though, given their run-in with US Customs back in the early 80's.
I guess they feel they can plead ignorance by saying For off-road use only even though they clearly illustrate them being used on the road. Seriously, how many people are going to swap out headlight bulbs between on-road and off-road? If you're that bothered by lack of light off-roading you'll fit floods. It's pretty irresponsible IMO for such a well know company to be selling something that they know is illegal for illustrated use.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
The light output is different, so requires a different reflector and lens.
It's not just DOT, it's the NHTSA that's enforcing it.
http://dsl.torque.net/images/techdoc..._Crackdown.jpg ..............
I read the article it say nothing about cracking down on individual owners.. See the attached image, LR makes the clear lenses. I have the light leveling on my truck (its a manual switch with 4 settings).

I also agree with your point about upgrading the driving lenses. I wonder if you can take a PIAA 580 or a PRO 80 XT and put a HID kit on that??? It would be worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defenderOEMlamp.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	32089  
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Are there any legal HID kits with HID housings that fits a defender?
There are two styles made by Osram.

http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=267
http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=255
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The setup in the second link looks kinda goofy
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Bargain.
Real HIDs are never cheap.
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I read the article it say nothing about cracking down on individual owners..
I never said they were, I was referring to cracking down on sellers.
I don't think it's too likely the law will come after an individual, unless there's an accident like the woman who was blinded by an oncoming car's lights and hit another car. They found out the oncoming car had HID's in halogen housings. (can't find the article at the moment, but came across it when looking for something else).
Just saying be careful installing something that's well publicized to be illegal.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
adafish
adrian fisher
1984110 double cab

try www.mobilecentre.co.uk
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's another LED. DOT approved. http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/for...odel_8700.html
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Those last two are the same ones.... I would love to see a unbiased review of the light output and pattern quality...
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Check out page 3 of this forum. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23872 Mike from ECR had some comments on the LED lights they were using in some of their builds.
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Check out page 3 of this forum. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23872 Mike from ECR had some comments on the LED lights they were using in some of their builds.
LED's would make me a little nervous in a blinding snow storm (which I love to drive in). In NJ and PA, a lot of towns where excited to put LED stop lights in to reduce the money spent on changing bulbs, until the found out when it snows sideways the lights get blocked with snow and ice and a cop has to direct traffic....

I guess if you live in Florida have at it.
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

They haven't fixed those signals yet? It wpuld be pretty simple with some heating elements. Overall they'd probably still draw less current even with the heaters on in storms.
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Yes... And that is where I asked for a real side by each comparison (page 5). He said if he had time. They need to be compared to Hella or IPF ecodes with quality bulbs and proper wiring and relays, not stock, crappy, poorly wired headlights. If it were my $600, I would like to know they were better first.

Option 1: H4 upgrades. Hella or IPF ecode housings, quality H4 bulbs, relays and larger wiring. $130

Option 2: Truck-Lite LEDs, $600 (have really dropped in price!!)

Option 3: JWspeaker LEDs, $2000 (price from Mobilcenter, anyone find a cheaper price?)

Option 3: Osram bi-xenon, $700

Option 4: Detroitspeed fully sealed housings with 9007 bulbs, wiring and relays. $250

Has anyone seen an H4 housing that is actually fully sealed??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit