Rovers North Defender Winch Bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2017, 08:35 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Rovers North Defender Winch Bumper

I was going to have a bumper made to my specs. Then I found a heavy duty one that I thought would work, but won't. Then I bought this bumper from Rovers North. It is very close to what I was going to have made, and it allows me to mount my winch with only a tiny bit of modification to the AC type front grill I have.

ROVERS NORTH WINCH BUMPER W/ DRL DEFENDER, RNA2108 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

When I got the bumper after waiting 5 weeks... I found that mounting it was a little odd. The top and bottom mounting tabs where the two bolts drop through on each side are about 3/4 of an inch taller than the frame is. If I tighten down the bolts, the lower bumper mounting tab would bend up to the frame quite a bit, and then be crushed by the bolt as it tightens. This just didn't seem right.

I contacted RN, we exchanged emails and pictures, and after a couple of weeks they just said to call. I've been trying to call for five weeks now. I work in bad cell phone coverage, and rarely get more than 5-10 minutes in a day to get to a land line.

In the mean time, I got some spacers (giant thick grade 8 washers) to go between the lower bumper mounting tab and the lower face of the frame. But this doesn't seem right. The bumper mounts nicely, and won't budge. But now it is apparent that my steering guard will not mount with this bumper in place. There are recovery loops built into the bottom of the bumper that interfere with the steering guard. The bumper is made to go with a steering guard. The single bolt holes that go through the frame down below are spaced out from the frame to allow for the steering guard mounts to be in place.
  1. What do you think of the idea of just using spacers? I think it's not right.
  2. Does anyone know of a brand of steering guard I could use with this bumper?
Thanks

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2017, 02:00 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Here are a few pics:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/bhcmbailey/p2UgCh

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:50 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
UPDATE on my previous post:

RN did get back to me. They tested the bumper against a couple of frames at their shop and found that there is a 7/16" gap. Mine is smaller, but my frame is galvanized.

They don't know why it is that way, but there does not seem to be anything wrong with the bumper. They actually called a few other customers who had bought the bumper, and confirmed that other people also had the gap, but had simply put washers in there to fill it up. I don't really like this, but on the other hand, I can't really say that there is anything wrong with it. After all, there are six grade 8 bolts holding that bumper in place, and it does not shift at all once all bolts are in place. I used a couple of giant grade 8 washers as spacers.

It took a little time, but RN did come through for me, and I'm glad they actually took the steps to test the bumper in real life.

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM
ErichCS
Erich
1989 Defender 90

I have the same bumper. But I had my shop put it on when doing the winch install. They did mention they have a hard time installing it though. Sorry can't be more of a help.
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:51 AM
littlehandegan
Jack
68 Series 2a

Just ordered one, will report back when I get it
Old July 6th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Have you considered using the yrm style nut plate instead of the stock one? It fills a significant gap.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/land-rov...ing-nut-plate/
Old July 6th, 2017, 10:22 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Unless I am thinking about it wrong the nut plate would not help as it goes under the bumper not between the frame and bumper.
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
please measure the gap thickness and I will cut a spacer for you.

edit - never mind, looks like you got it sorted!
Old July 7th, 2017, 07:16 PM
littlehandegan
Jack
68 Series 2a

Any pics of it mounted?

Got mine today and it came with 0 hardware

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, defender, winch