Rovers North - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
redrange
Billy
96 Disco "Narlee"

Registry
Rovers North

I haven't had my defender 90 very long but have had to order a few things for it in the short time of having it. I've ordered from Justin at Lucky eight and I'm always had great success I have even ordered from Atlantic British and been okay there too. However I really like the shipping that is given by Rovers north because I know that if I order it Monday I'll get it by Wednesday. But, I think I've been giving Rovers north too much of the benefit of the doubt. Three orders in the last month and each order has been wrong. I ordered a man tech snorkel but got a man kit right-hand drive. So after much deliberation they sent me the left-hand drive but none of the fittings fit so I had to combine the two were sent to me to create one that worked. The next order was new hoses as some of you have probably read about my overheating problem. They left out two of the key hot water hoses. Then as mentioned in my last thread, the expansion tank cap the sent, seems to look similar to the old but goes on way too easily and is apparently creating a leak. Has anyone else had bad luck with RN and can anyone else suggest a good place to go with quick service/shipping and above all, reliability?
Thanks
Billy
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

really surprised to hear about problems with RN...they have always been spot on with everything. Actually every vendor associated with this site has been perfect...say one. Speak to a supervisor and let them know, they seem to care about customer service. Good Luck.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
really surprised to hear about problems with RN...they have always been spot on with everything. Actually every vendor associated with this site has been perfect...say one. Speak to a supervisor and let them know, they seem to care about customer service. Good Luck.
X2 - one of the RN guys has an account on here I think under RoversNorth. Send him a PM, they have helped me with a bunch of my questions.

I've ordered various things from RN since '08 and never had any issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
From my perspective, RN is always very helpful and the shipping is fast. However, the difficulty I have had is probably due to the fact that both of my 110s were/are ROW-spec. These are often cobbled together from different years' parts and can become confusing.
My constructive criticism for RN would be to make sure that they take the extra time to really understand what part you're looking for and verify before shipping. It's not always possible to obtain a part number off of the old part you're replacing and if RN is emphatic that the part they stock is what you need (based on limited information) it can sometimes give you a false sense of security.

I think that they are still becoming comfortable with the myriad of configurations and ROW parts that are now present and needed stateside to support all the ROWs that are here (stateside).

As a comparison, when you talk to some other vendors (Trevor at Rovahfarm for example) he is quick to explain that there are different options and the part he has may or may not be the correct part.

This is gained only from many years of experience and while I'm pretty sure all thos great folks at Rovers North have good experience, they are clearly still learning about the ROWs (as am I ). They just need to take a bit more time before they sell you a part and perhaps some ROW shop manuals at he sales desks would be a start?
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Trevor is thorough...Ive just recently started to buy from him.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I always talk to Les even if it means calling back later. Not sure if anyone else is ok but Les is amazing. I am not saying it has been 100% perfect, but close and what is not right is usually because I ordered some weird clip or something.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:57 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

I am very sorry to hear that Billy, I can understand why that has inconvenienced you. Please shoot me an email at Zack@Roversnorth.com and I'll be happy to help you out.

While we do have a large customer base, I want to assure you that you are never lost as a "number". Our goal has, and always will be 100% satisfaction, especially in the case of our error.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I always talk to Les even if it means calling back later. Not sure if anyone else is ok but Les is amazing. I am not saying it has been 100% perfect, but close and what is not right is usually because I ordered some weird clip or something.
Agreed....they always make it right. I lost a FEDEX box...still don't know where it went! They just reshipped my stuff before FEDEX claims were done.

I think those guys (Les) are awesome!
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

I echo the comments of others. I ordered a ton of stuff from them when I did my last restoration and never had an issue. And have already started buying from them again for my '88. I find they have a lot of the small stuff others don't carry.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

I'm the same...I have never had an issue with RN. As a matter of fact, I think they are top notch. When I call I always ask for Arthur. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other sales folks, I just like dealing with him as he knows my needs and my truck.
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:01 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
They have always treated me with respect and have been very helpful. I have been buying from them since 1989
Old September 8th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

A lot of my new parts are from RN.

Thumbs up all the way.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
X2. Called and placed an order with Les just this past week myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just my 2 cents, expecting any vendor to have a crystal ball on what part you need if you have seen fit to purchase a cobbled together truck is absurd.They know row trucks backwards and forwards but if its not all original the responsibility is yours to advise what you have.

I have a business account with Rovers North and typically call up with the part numbers I need. When there is a supersede they advise, if its not available in stock, their special order system rules.

Once a couple years ago when I was living in a fairly hard to find waterfront home outside Annapolis an order didn't show up. I waited a week and called. They tracked it and it tracked out as delivered. I asked that they get someone in touch with the driver and see where he delivered it (thinking it was on a neighbors porch possibly). Driver had no recollection whos house he left the box @ but rovers north reshipped the order and dealt with the minutiae themselves.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Richard said it... and another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I think that expecting any vendor to have a crystal ball on what part you need if you have seen fit to purchase a cobbled together truck is absurd.
I have a business account with Rover North and typically call up with the part numbers I need. When there is a supersede they advise, if its not available in stock, their special order system rules.

Once a couple years ago when I was living in a fairly hard to find waterfront home outside Annapolis an order didn't show up. I waited a week and called. They tracked it and it tracked out as delivered. I asked that they get someone in touch with the driver and see where he delivered it (thinking it was on a neighbors porch possibly). Long driver had no recollection whos house he left the box @ but rovers north reshipped the order and dealt with the minutiae themselves.

I think that if you don't order an all inclusive kit or call with the individual part numbers for what you want the error is yours regardless of who the retailer is. Try calling George not knowing what you need and see whats shows up
Sometimes I call RN without part numbers and they will go through the difficulty to look up what it is need and spend lots of time to help me out... face it time is money and they have a model of customer service that is hard to beat.

Years ago was working on a 109 that needed bearings, so called Lanny Clark (the old Les with a different accent) and gave him the engine number. Turned out the engine was a 3.0 liter 6 cylinder engine from a Rover car that had different main bearings that were NLS. The bearings showed on our doorstep 2 weeks later. They were still in the Rover parts system.

My advice is that you need to go through the what's what on your rig or trade it in on a new Jeep if you want exact science dealer parts management (which you might not get anyway) or be happy when you get 1 out of 5 requests you make without part numbers.

I don't mean this in a critical way, just that you need to take control of your own parts destiny and understand that these vehicles are often a hodge podge of bits and pieces even when they left the factory. Go to some meets, look under some hoods and see if you can locate 2 Rovers that are identical... really identical. Get to know yours and have fun with the quirks is some of the best advice you'll ever get.

Enjoy.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
redrange
Billy
96 Disco "Narlee"

Registry
Appreciate the input. To be clear I'm not slamming rovers north. As I said their shipping is the best and they're always courteous on the phone. I'm simply stating that my last three orders have all been incorrect.. I realize that there are issues with any vendor that you deal with from time to time my only problem here is that I was having an issue 100 percent of the time. It's not to say I won't continue to use them I was just curious if anybody else had had similar issues.

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added September 8th, 2013 07:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
I am very sorry to hear that Billy, I can understand why that has inconvenienced you. Please shoot me an email at Zack@Roversnorth.com and I'll be happy to help you out.

While we do have a large customer base, I want to assure you that you are never lost as a "number". Our goal has, and always will be 100% satisfaction, especially in the case of our error.
Appreciate that, Zack! Ill def touch base!
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
RN has always been the best in my book. Back to early 90's with my RRC, late 90's with my Disco and now with the 110. Les and Zack have been top notch and agree with shipping... Since I'm in Maine sometimes the order is here NEXT Day even though its standard shipping.

I also would say "you get what you order" so it has happened to me that I explain a part to Les (as in, hey you know that plastic thingy on the inside lip of the grill" kinda thing. Sure, I got the wrong part. But it was my fault and I couldn't blame Les.

I'd say don't get frustrated. They are top notch and stand behind everything (based on all the above examples).

My .$02
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrange View Post
Appreciate the input. To be clear I'm not slamming rovers north. As I said their shipping is the best and they're always courteous on the phone. I'm simply stating that my last three orders have all been incorrect.. I realize that there are issues with any vendor that you deal with from time to time my only problem here is that I was having an issue 100 percent of the time. It's not to say I won't continue to use them I was just curious if anybody else had had similar issues.

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added September 8th, 2013 07:47 AM ------

Appreciate that, Zack! Ill def touch base!
Billy:
Forums are good, but you are making a semi-permanent record here... suggest you call your vendor if you have issues... before posting something that can be interpreted as negative.

Then you won't have to go into damage control to try and take back or re-explain what you meant when you started a thread under the vendors good name.

Call first, think, and then post... no one is perfect and I should more often follow the last two parts of this advice myself, to think and then post (something that is always not part of my thinking either, but should be).

Good luck!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Just my 2 cents, expecting any vendor to have a crystal ball on what part you need if you have seen fit to purchase a cobbled together truck is absurd.They know row trucks backwards and forwards but if its not all original the responsibility is yours to advise what you have.
Okay, fair enough and I agree. I wasn't beating up RN at all and I think their demeanor and service is better than any other vendor for any other type of vehicle out there.
I was simply saying that on a few occasions, they were quick to arrive at a part number after insisting only on the model year of the truck and engine type, even after i tried to take the time to explain that there is more to the story.

When you walk into Autozone and trying to find an alternator to a Bobcat skid steer with a Mitsubishi industrial engine, their heads split open when you can't provide a make/model. Rovers North is worlds better than that, but Doug as you say, they cannot have a crystal ball and I respect that. Knowing that, I try to obtain the P/N from the part to be replaced but that is not always possible.
I fully accept my resonsibility in ordering parts (even when they are the wrong parts). I am simply saying that Trevor by comparison is very quick to warn you of the variables (which I find very valuable).

I should have a ROW shop manual and parts listing on hand, I get that and its not Les or anyone else's resonsibility to do my homework for me. But, as a parts retailer some of their customers are not as knowledgable as some (myself among the green newbies) and some handholding would only serve to improve their already great service as a retailer.

Just so we are all clear, Rovers North is great and the people are great. I am simply offering some constructive criticism as RN emerges as a parts supplier giant and broadens its customer base to include newer enthusiast with complicated ROW trucks, it would only improve their service if they let the customer explain things in full detail.

I will say that I noticed that they now have a vastly expanded inventory of ROW parts and that is hat that they see t his as a growing market.
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The best value in Rover Parts are the LHP series of cd's that have everything about your truck for about $28. Cheaper than the printed manuals and far more information, and of course printable.

These cd's have the wiring schematics, the parts books, the factory workshop manuals, all recall and service bulletins etc. For that price everyone who owns a Rover should own the appropriate disc. Rovers North sells them but the discs are compiled by the British Motor Heritage Museum. I have about 4 different ones covering most of the date ranges for defenders.

NAS trucks need LHP 28
ROW 89-97 need LHP 27
ROW 83-89 need LHP 26
RRC 87-95 need LHP 29
Military Defenders 84-99 need LHP 25
Disco 1 LHP 33

Several of these can be downloaded on the internet.

https://landroverparts.roversnorth.c...de=565&key=cat

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions