Roverdrive - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Roverdrive

Ok I would like to keep my 1.6 transfercase for the off road control but would like to have a higher ratio on the highway. Does anybody have any thoughts about a roverdrive? I plan on putting a 200tdi in the truck and would like to run tires in the 32-33" range. Please people give me some guidance?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1.6 is only the high range. Low range are all the same.
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:04 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

You do not want a 1.6 behind a 200 Tdi. I did that for a very short while, engine over revs the T case First second and third gear maxed out very quickly. If you are going 200Tdi then at least a 1.4 box is in your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
nothing good about a 1.6 unless you plan on 35+ inch rubber. Get the correct 1.4 and you will be much happier.Sent you several texts-got a cur pup Tn last week.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I ran a 1.6 for more then a year, it is a bit too short but, it pulls like a train! Top speed, mated to a 200tdi, will be around 55-60 on 32-33 inches tire. It all depends on the use, first gear feels like low range. Usually I skipped the first gear except for hill start up while pulling a trailer. But if you don't expect to drive at highway speed for long journey, it ain't that bad. Most people want the look of a defender with average car performance, if you're after that install a 1,4 but, if off-road is the goal, try it! It is purposeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
if you're after that install a 1,4 but, if off-road is the goal, try it! It is purposeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

? low range gearing for off road is the same in all lt230's ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay so it sounds like I need a 1.4 . Does any body know anything about roverdrives? Good, bad, indifferent? Can they be used in all gears or just 4th and 5th? And if not then why?
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
? low range gearing for off road is the same in all lt230's ?
Yes. The only way to lower the low range gearing is change the diff ratios. Then you need to change the hi range gearing in the transfer box to keep cruising bearable.
Of course tire size also can cause changes in the what I call effective crawl ratio.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Yes. The only way to lower the low range gearing is change the diff ratios. Then you need to change the hi range gearing in the transfer box to keep cruising bearable.
Of course tire size also can cause changes in the what I call effective crawl ratio.
I was wondering about this myself. So you're saying that a 1.003, 1.222, 1.41, or 1.6 all have the same/similar low range gears and it's only the high range ratio that's affected?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can get lower low range gears out of Australia as well.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So does anybody have a roverdrive?
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Josh should be able to find the post... A board member installed one and said great things...

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

Roverdrive

I installed a Roverdrive on a '94 NAS D90 around 2004. Stock tires but 4.1 ARB diffs. Use the OD mainly for cruising to keep the rpm reasonable. Works well in 3rd 4th 5th. No harsh treatment especially in 3rd!
Very happy.
Had a spring clip failure once when someone else was driving it that locked the shifter between gears. Good tech support for Roverdrive. Removed and repaired quickly.
However, it does not shift as positively as the OD in my Series III.
My two cents...
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What do you mean" shift as positively "?
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I was wondering about this myself. So you're saying that a 1.003, 1.222, 1.41, or 1.6 all have the same/similar low range gears and it's only the high range ratio that's affected?
Low range is the same in all LT230s unless somebody has changed the ratio out for something else. How are these discussions always creeping up?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Low range is the same in all LT230s unless somebody has changed the ratio out for something else. How are these discussions always creeping up?
For me personally I've got a 1.222 tcase with what I *think* are 4.75 diff gearing...I'm pushing like 3500 rpms at 70mph on the highway. Was talking to Galpin about swapping out tcase for a 1.003, but was afraid that would detract from the offroad performance. Honestly, I didn't realize the low-range gearing is not affected...and neither did Charles I think. But that's good news, may be the solution to driving down my rpms.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
For me personally I've got a 1.222 tcase with what I *think* are 4.75 diff gearing...I'm pushing like 3500 rpms at 70mph on the highway. Was talking to Galpin about swapping out tcase for a 1.003, but was afraid that would detract from the offroad performance. Honestly, I didn't realize the low-range gearing is not affected...and neither did Charles I think. But that's good news, may be the solution to driving down my rpms.
What engine do you have? Also, why'd you put in 4.75 gearing?

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
What engine do you have? Also, why'd you put in 4.75 gearing?
3.9 motor. Gears came in the truck...to be honest I haven't done the calcs of tire rotation to drive shaft rotation to figure it out exactly, so just assuming 4.75 since my rpms are through the roof at highway speed. But PO had 35s on it since it was a backcountry wheeling truck in AZ so I'm guessing the lower gearing was for crawling/etc. However, I was/am very happy with it's trail performance so don't want to impede on that since it's essentially the trail rig. Would just be nice for getting to the trails (or putting the wife/kid in it) to get those highway rpms down. The other solution...buy a trailer!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I have stock diffs, 7.50 tires, and a 1.003. If you do not have a super torque-y engine you will be over geared with the equivalent setup. I can only use 5th gear above 55mph and that's just above lumbering. Better to shift to 5th once I've found a speed to maintain above 60-65mph.

You're going to a lot of effort to correct the problem that is caused by the high gear ratio at the diff which was added for crawling and moving the bigger tires. I'd think the best solution is to just drive 55-60mph instead of 70mph or get a trailer like you said. You could get a 1.003, but why? The truck was built in one direction and you're trying to work it back in another. Just thoughts on that. A 1.003 might make it more highway friendly, but do you need to take a trail truck 70mph?

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I have stock diffs, 7.50 tires, and a 1.003. If you do not have a super torque-y engine you will be over geared with the equivalent setup. I can only use 5th gear above 55mph and that's just above lumbering. Better to shift to 5th once I've found a speed to maintain above 60-65mph.

You're going to a lot of effort to correct the problem that is caused by the high gear ratio at the diff which was added for crawling and moving the bigger tires. I'd think the best solution is to just drive 55-60mph instead of 70mph or get a trailer like you said. You could get a 1.003, but why? The truck was built in one direction and you're trying to work it back in another. Just thoughts on that. A 1.003 might make it more highway friendly, but do you need to take a trail truck 70mph?
I've sort of come to the same conclusion (leave it as-is), but every time I try to keep up with Jeff Huff on the highway I realize that driving 60-65 reeaaallly sucks. So toying with the idea of a 1.003 tcase - if it doesn't affect offroad performance - did/does seem like an option. Or an overdrive....which is what piqued my interest in this thread.

I guess bottom line is driving 65 in the Series is ok....but driving 60-65 in a 90 seems like a shame when you're actually trying to get somewhere (most wheeling around DC requires 3+ hour drive, not so when I'm in NY though).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions