Roverdrive - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I've sort of come to the same conclusion (leave it as-is), but every time I try to keep up with Jeff Huff on the highway I realize that driving 60-65 reeaaallly sucks. So toying with the idea of a 1.003 tcase - if it doesn't affect offroad performance - did/does seem like an option. Or an overdrive....which is what piqued my interest in this thread.

I guess bottom line is driving 65 in the Series is ok....but driving 60-65 in a 90 seems like a shame when you're actually trying to get somewhere (most wheeling around DC requires 3+ hour drive, not so when I'm in NY though).
I hear ya man. Only place wheeling was around the corner that I have lived so far was Colorado. The UK only half counted because a "green lane" is a lot different than a Colorado trail. I am a fan of 60 regardless of the speed limit being 70. It's more efficient on the fuel(I just managed 18-19 average with a 99 Discovery keeping it at 60mph from D.C. to Texas) and unless you're really going on a 12 hour highway trip the 10 extra miles per hour isn't going to get you there any fast in reality. 60 vs 70 on a 2 hour trip will get you there 20 minutes quicker if you were driving on straight highway. So you'd drive 2 hrs versus 2hrs 20 mins. Not as appealing to me as the 12 hr drive is turned into a 10 hr drive. I'm ranting now.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So to boil this down though...really any negative impact of ultimately changing the tcase gearing to 1.003 or adding an overdrive (besides obvious financial impact)?

Keep in mind it is 425 miles from DC to NY, and when I do drive that trip it's not a 12 hour drive but it is a 7....plus if I go to Rausch Creek from NY that can be a 5 hour drive - it's tough to add on an hour or more to each of these trips...75+ would be nice .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
So to boil this down though...really any negative impact of ultimately changing the tcase gearing to 1.003 or adding an overdrive (besides obvious financial impact)?

Keep in mind it is 425 miles from DC to NY, and when I do drive that trip it's not a 12 hour drive but it is a 7....plus if I go to Rausch Creek from NY that can be a 5 hour drive - it's tough to add on an hour or more to each of these trips...75+ would be nice .
With your setup I don't see it having a negative impact unless you like wheeling it with high range as it is now that will be different if you replace the t-case ratio. I have no numbers or facts to back this up with your setup but if you've got that high of gearing at the diffs and big tires didn't cut it down the t-case ratio change would be cheaper than roverdrive and would bring your RPMs on the highway down. I can't say how much, but I'm sure there is math you could do to figure it out.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I've sort of come to the same conclusion (leave it as-is), but every time I try to keep up with Jeff Huff on the highway I realize that driving 60-65 reeaaallly sucks. So toying with the idea of a 1.003 tcase - if it doesn't affect offroad performance - did/does seem like an option. Or an overdrive....which is what piqued my interest in this thread.

I guess bottom line is driving 65 in the Series is ok....but driving 60-65 in a 90 seems like a shame when you're actually trying to get somewhere (most wheeling around DC requires 3+ hour drive, not so when I'm in NY though).
Must drive at least 80mph to make it to the trails on time...and yes, that is pulling the trailer! On a side note, on the last trip when we had pokey (Kang) following us home, we didn't do much more than 65mph and I got surprisingly good gas mileage despite having the trailer!

On a more serious note, I probably should've ridden to lunch with you yesterday to see how loud the 90 is or if you are just used to quiet confines of a SW (even if it does have a 300tdi). I think the Roverdrive would be a cool add but at the expense, note sure it is worth it
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:40 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf

On a more serious note, I probably should've ridden to lunch with you yesterday to see how loud the 90 is
is Jason still complaining?
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

my setup: '95 D-90
285/75/16 KM2
4:14 reverse cut GBR diffs
Heavy weighted mods...3-link; winch, bumper, loaded tuffties, Hi-lift, etc.

Best combination I have driven in Colorado. Driving alone, pulls easily up I-70/mountain passes in 4th,; with 2 or more passengers, 3rd. Hwy speed is limited by speedometer/governor @ 94 mph (not actual speed). 5th is actually useful @ 2800 RPM/70 +/- mph. I donít see much difference in mpg no matter how I drive it. Would like even more crawler gearing (really slow) off road due to the stick and liking to finesse obstaclesÖ
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
is Jason still complaining?
Yes! I drove my 90 back from RC with no tailpipe, Swampers and surrey/no door tops and all noise resonating off the trailer and I loved every second of it!
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Yes! I drove my 90 back from RC with no tailpipe, Swampers and surrey/no door tops and all noise resonating off the trailer and I loved every second of it!
Was that at 3500rpms ? Also, totally honest here, I'm more worried about putting the kid/wife in the 90 for long trips to GWNF (or to Nordstroms) and causing permanent hearing loss!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Was that at 3500rpms ? Also, totally honest here, I'm more worried about putting the kid/wife in the 90 for long trips to GWNF (or to Nordstroms) and causing permanent hearing loss!
No, my truck doesn't have that ridiculous gearing! don't you love how we come full circle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions