Rover Works - Maryland - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Rover Works - Maryland

Hi,

I just wanted to say that just got my Defender back from another service with Gary Landes (Rover Works - 410-737-0647). http://www.landrovermd.com/

Last time my car was with Gary, he helped save my rear cross member, and third brake light. This was my post if you did not see it. Read this post for his history and how I found him. He has been working on Rovers for about 40 years........ http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...st+restoration

This time I had him do some routine mantainance, mount a new brush bar, new front lights, repair some last rust issues with my chassis at the transfer case cross member. To do this he had to drop the muffler. He reattached it with stainless connections (he always reattaches anything with stainless). He also removed my floorboards, treated any rust found, and reattached with stainless screws.

I can not tell you how good my truck looks now, in comparison to how it was beginning to look. It is amazing to lay on my drivway and look under the truck - and try to find spots of rust. It is all black. And oiled to help prevent future rust (read other post). It is rather amazing compared to what it did look like. I really believe he has saved my truck from having to go the galv. chassis route - and for the first time in years I feel really good about my chassis.

Everytime I get the truck back from Gary - it looks better than when it went in. He is awesome at rust restoration. I also believe he is going to be able to handle just about every mechanical item that comes up with the truck.

His rates are EXTREMELY reasonable. If you are having any issues with your truck - and live in or near Maryland, it is really worth your time to contact him. I really hope some members of this page are already using Gary's services after my last post about him..............

Gary is also trying to arrange a get together (probably in late June), so all of us in the area can meet each other. When he has the date and details, he is going to have me post information here. I will post it in the Events section.

It would be nice to meet others in the area............Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Hey Flagg,

what's Gary's 20? I would love to find another "attention to detail" service for my 94...I am currently looking for someone to give me an estimate on replacing my headliner and a paint job for my British Racing Green 94 RR. I also need "someone else" to pull my entire dash and replace my blower motor and put it back together again correctly. I replace my heater core about 4 years ago and I aint looking to go back that route again.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Gary is located in Arbutus, Maryland. He is pretty convient off I-95. He also makes house calls. Give him a call. (Rover Works - 410-737-0647). If nothing else it is worth him looking at your situation, and giving you an estimate. Takes me less then 20 minutes to get to him from where I live in Columbia.........I have been happy that I found him for sure.

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:42 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Thanks Flagg...

I placed the call and left a voicemail message.
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Gary returned my call and I pulled my alternator in 30 minutes just like he and I talked about.

I will return a call to him at 4pm today and hopefully drop my alternator off this evening or tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Once again thanks for the connection Flagg.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Rover
I replace my heater core about 4 years ago and I aint looking to go back that route again.
Worst Job EVER on a RRC.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Worst Job EVER on a RRC.
I'd have to say that replacing the sills is a worse job.......heater cores are ok once you get your moves dialed in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Pictures........

For the first time in years I am getting proud of the way this truck looks.
I had to post some pictures.....Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040866.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	13269   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040884.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	13270  

Old May 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Its about damn time! JK, but I was going to ask for some. Looks great Flagg.

How about some of the work he did inside to the floor etc?
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Flagg, looks great.

Just keep in mind that everything short of a galvanized chassis is a tempory solution.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yes and no, lots of series trucks running about with non-galvanised parts. it all depends what you are after. even a galvanised chassis can rust eventually. look at the tub supports on a series truck. they are galvy and rot straight through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
everything short of a galvanized chassis is a tempory solution.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

More Pictures

Here are some more pictures of the chassis and floorboards.

The floor board screws were so rusty that many had to be grinded off. He removed the floorboards, addressed the slight rust that was under them, and replaced with Stainless. It is hard to tell is these photos.........but it does look a lot better than all the rusty screws and rust flakes that were all over my floorboards.

I usually leave the mats out now. When it rains much less water migrates in then before under the rubber mats. And it dries fast.

There are beads of water all over the chassis shots. He 'oiled' the chassis, inside and out, which he said will help prevent rust. He says we should all be doing this a couple times a year. It is probably like a primitive Waxoyl treatment. The water just rushes off the chassis right now. I wish my paint did that. I need to get a coat of wax on top the car BAD.

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Ron - I know I know I know.......I hope to keep this truck forever - so one day I am going to need that Galv. Chassis. Right now I am just trying to put the expense off a while.......

UNLESS Dave Bobeck is right!

Gary says my chassis is now in excellent shape from front to back - and as long as he is alive he will keep it solid.

We will see. Either way, Gary helped my entire chassis - for MUCH MUCH MUCH less then I was looking at spending.......I could find no one else that would even CONSIDER doing the kind of work that he did........I am happy for now.

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L1040876.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	13324   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040877.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	13325  

Name:	L1040896.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	13326   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040897.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	13327  

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Lookin' good! I know what you mean about the bolt/screw heads; I had to grind off nearly all of them both in front and back when I pulled the floors out of the 110. What a PITA!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
LOL, Don't bet on it!

The 109 is on it's original chassis from 48 years ago as are many cared for vehicles. Though I think coiler chassis have more nooks and crannies, are made of inferior steel, and get used for more road mileage than most series LR's, and thus ar emore prone to corrosion.

And the floors seem to be out more than they are in so the screws never have a chance to corrosify.

Looks good Flagg. i think you'll get lots more enjoyment out of that truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
I am just trying to put the expense off a while.......

UNLESS Dave Bobeck is right!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
The truck looks FRESH! Your seats look new as well, are they?
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thank for the kind words everyone............

Ade - the seats are original. I looked at my pictures again - they do look good in those pictures. But in person they are a bit tired, especially the seat bottoms. I have switched them back and fourth so that they kind of wore equally over the years.

Now the passenger side has two couple inch tears in it. I cover that up with some 'Defender Seat Gray' Duct tape I got at home Depot. I change the tape out ever few months. Both seats continue to have to have the cushion tucked back in every now and again. Every time I clean the inside I remove the seat bottom and wipe up a bunch of little foam particles...........

I keep putting off the expense of reparing them correctly, or buying new seat bottoms. I will get to it

Flagg
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I need to replace my seat bottoms eventually too.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Best thing is YOUR happy with it. And its still on the road.

Keep it up Flagg
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Jim - Thanks, I will keep it up!

Flagg
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
d90xjay
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW

It good to know there is someone in the area you can trust to work on Rovers. Got your 90 looking nice. I have some frame rust issues that I need to take care of my self. I just drove my 90 for the first time in months this past week. I was good to be back in it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
maryland