rover wiring frustration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

rover wiring frustration

just looking for advice on whether this is an expected part of rover ownership or if i own a "special"vehicle. this weekend i finally got around to putting in my muduk console. that part was straightforward. i bought some carling switches to go with that and thats where i spent most of the weekend trying out my vocabulary of four letter words. i have the land rover cd from roversnorth that has the wiring diagrams and thought that would be helpful. i printed out the pages with the connector descriptions and went to work. i soon found out that my rover doesnt come close to conforming to these diagrams. ie it would say such and such a connector has 4 wires and their colors are such and such. then i would find that my connector has 6 wires, of mostly different colors. the only constant was the black for ground and the red/white to illuminate the switch. i moved the rear window wipe and wash from two switches to one and to do that i basically experimented with each function until i found the right combinations. i went through quite a few fuses to do that. i took off the cover to the rear wiper to trace wires but that didnt seem to help. the hazard switch is an even bigger pain. the carling switch came with a wiring diagram complete with wire colors. this matched the wire colors to my hazard switch so i thought this would be easy. wired it up and nothing. went back to my experimental technique and after several fuses have got it to the point where the hazard lights come on when i turn the key but the switch has no effect. the fuses were another joy. my fuse box does not conform to the wiring diagrams from the cd. i have an owners manual for a 97(mine is a 95) and it doesnt conform to that either. there is a legend inside the fuse box cover and the box doesnt conform to that either. originally thought i wasnt blowing fuses until the obvious occurred to me and then i had to find blown fuses with a fuse tester. i think im close now with the hazard which is my last switch and think i can get it with a few more trials. just needed to vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. First, I thought they were all special

Second, perhaps change your technique a little. Use a multi-meter to measure voltage to find the hot wire, and then continuity on the switch contacts in both positions to find what action it performs. You shouldn't blow any fuses this way and then will know what actions you will need to take to change switches.

I'll PM you an alternate wiring reference in case it's better than what you have.

hth
charles
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The problem with the Carling switches is that they are more confusing to test because you will read resistance through the bulbs, so you can't just use the sounder on a meter to test for continuity, you have to pay particular attention to the resistance the meter reads between all contacts, how it changes with the switch position and then figure out how to wire it so that the light(s) are illuminated when you want them to be.

It isn't difficult, but takes a certain level of attention and thought. You probably want to do this sober, then crack a few beers before moving on to the next step.
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Maybe I am mis-reading his rant, but it appears to me that he is having trouble determining the stock wiring, not the documented carling switch wiring. Stock shouldn't be a problem no?
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You wouldn't think, but the wiring diagrams can be confusing on these trucks sometimes too. It sounds like he may be looking at the wrong diagram ie. wrong vehicle. I still have never found one for the NAS 110 (if anyone has one that would be great)! I have all the '97 stuff, both at home and at the shop, but even the dealer doesn't have the ones for a NAS 110.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
A good test light or better yet, the Power Probe pays for itself in frustration resolution.
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

thanks for the advice everyone, i think after i finish this project i will wait awhile before doing another one involving wiring. the rant was that nothing seems to correspond to what is actually in the truck. the 2 wiring diagrams i have are wrong, all 3 fuse box descriptions are wrong(and different from each other), and the carling wiring diagram for the hazard switch is wrong. i am not an advanced DIYer by any means but i took this on as it looked straightforward, probably a naive assumption.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring